Tim Anderson to be suspended 1 game for... language?

Jose Abreu

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What is common sense? We know if it is a white player not cool. If it is a black player, cool. Now what about everyone else? Do some Latino players get a pass others not? And what if an ump isn't certain of the race of the player? Does he ask?

Any minority is cool (mostly common in Black and Latin cultures). Let's just say I highly doubt Angel Hernandez (who is terrible in his own right) does this for example. 

Edited by SoxAce

Just now, mqr said:

Sending an African American to sensitivity training for saying the n-word would cause an even bigger shit storm than this. 

Yeah I think you’re right. I suppose when I thought about what I would say I was thinking about it as a general rule. He probably shouldn’t get anything for this. 

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Any minority is cool (mostly common in Black and Latin cultures). Let's just say I highly doubt Angel Hernandez (who is terrible in his own right) does this for example. 

If that's the consensus then fine, but it needs to be a policy so the aforementioned umpires like Joe West have rules and it's not up to him to make a judgment call.

4 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

If its a word that can never be uttered th

So you advocate for the elimination of all music that uses that word in any context.   Great that will go over well.   

Why are you so set on keeping that word in all its contexts alive? What makes that word so important to you?

I can share many moments growing up where that word was used to hurt, humiliate, and degrade friends of mine. I can still see their reactions. I was an ugly time. I'm all for removing the barb by appropriating the word and using within the community. But like many people who grew up in the 50s to 70s it is impossible to not unhear the echos of hate. Yeah, my reaction to looking up and seeing a young black man using the word is pretty chill. If I heard TA using it I wouldn't really be bothered. But given a world that ended the use and one that continues to toss it around, I would prefer the world that ended its use. Sorry of that offends you. 

19 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Why are you so set on keeping that word in all its contexts alive? What makes that word so important to you?

I can share many moments growing up where that word was used to hurt, humiliate, and degrade friends of mine. I can still see their reactions. I was an ugly time. I'm all for removing the barb by appropriating the word and using within the community. But like many people who grew up in the 50s to 70s it is impossible to not unhear the echos of hate. Yeah, my reaction to looking up and seeing a young black man using the word is pretty chill. If I heard TA using it I wouldn't really be bothered. But given a world that ended the use and one that continues to toss it around, I would prefer the world that ended its use. Sorry of that offends you. 

Let me put some context in this: As an autistic person I have zero problem joking about myself by calling a poor decision I made due to autistic thinking processes "retarded" but if a neurotypical called me that I'd find it highly offensive.  The same applies here. It is about taking back a word used to demean and degrade a marginalized group. I have no problem with people of African descent using the N word and I have no problem with disabled people using the word "retarded" nor do I have a problem with gay people using the F or D word. It is empowering to take the words used for hate back. If you weren't fucked with verbally as a kid for being different in a way that was outside your control, you wouldn't understand. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

African American rappers have used this word as part of their music for a while.  Go take it up with them.   I am sure that will go well.  I am a white guy who doesn't use this word and find it offensive but I am not about to tell African American's what to do with this.  That's not my place.  

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Let me put some context in this: As an autistic person I have zero problem joking about myself by calling a poor decision I made due to autistic thinking processes "retarded" but if a neurotypical called me that I'd find it highly offensive.  The same applies here. It is about taking back a word used to demean and degrade. 

Same with gays and the F word now. 

28 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Maybe I am mistaken but are you implying that it is okay for all non white people to say the N-word? Because most black people would strongly disagree with that including objecting to latinos using the word unless the latino was also black. Also Angel Hernandez is a white cuban which why it was funny for him to claim racial discrimination a few years ago. 

Edited by JuliusO1274

Just now, JuliusO1274 said:

Maybe I am mistaken but are you implying that it is okay for latinos to say the N-word? Because most blacks would strongly disagree with that unless the latino was also black. Also Angel Hernandez is a white cuban which why it was funny for him to claim racial discrimination a few years ago. 

Among young people, Latinos probably use it more than black people and I've never seen a black person really care. 

It's as if MLB intentionally goes out of their way to alienate young black men. Who the fuck are they to tell black people how to talk? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

Among young people, Latinos probably use it more than black people and I've never seen a black person really care. 

It's as if MLB intentionally goes out of their way to alienate young black men. Who the fuck are they to tell black people how to talk? 

Bingo.