Tim Anderson to be suspended 1 game for... language?

Jose Abreu

13 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Among young people, Latinos probably use it more than black people and I've never seen a black person really care. 

It's as if MLB intentionally goes out of their way to alienate young black men. Who the fuck are they to tell black people how to talk? 

https://twitter.com/SeoYeongChae_/status/1115700104785272833 Well click that link and you will see your first black person caring about latinos using the N word. You can also go on twitter search and type "latinos n word" or similar type search and see thousands more complaints from black people about latinos using that word.

Edited by JuliusO1274

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Let me put some context in this: As an autistic person I have zero problem joking about myself by calling a poor decision I made due to autistic thinking processes "retarded" but if a neurotypical called me that I'd find it highly offensive.  The same applies here. It is about taking back a word used to demean and degrade a marginalized group. I have no problem with people of African descent using the N word and I have no problem with disabled people using the word "retarded" nor do I have a problem with gay people using the F or D word. It is empowering to take the words used for hate back. If you weren't fucked with verbally as a kid for being different in a way that was outside your control, you wouldn't understand. 

I agree. Using the word yourself is different. Many fat people for example make fat jokes about themselves to take away the power of mobbers. 

Still I'm no fan of this strategy of for example fat or disabled people to use that strategy. It works of course but you also marginalize yourself a little doing it.

I understand the intention of taking away the power of racists but the n word is a white racist creation and it would be better if it dissapears altogether.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

https://twitter.com/SeoYeongChae_/status/1115700104785272833 Well click that link and you will see your first black person caring about about latinos using the N word along with thousands of likes retweets and comments from other blacks agreeing. You can also go on twitter search and type "latinos n word" or similar type search and see thousands more complains from black people about latinos using that word.

But it's common sense among umpires who can, and who cannot, use the word. 

8 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

https://twitter.com/SeoYeongChae_/status/1115700104785272833 Well click that link and you will see your first black person caring about about latinos using the N word along with thousands of likes retweets and comments from other blacks agreeing. You can also go on twitter search and type "latinos n word" or similar type search and see thousands more complains from black people about latinos using that word.

C'mon. The dude was comparing that to saying the S or W word in latin culture which is equivalent to the "er" version in the black community (the ultimate disrespect). Not remotely the same. I won't go with what the woman said cuz black women are crazy (I know from experience with a black mother LOL. I'm joking btw)

There's kids in schools, latin gangs out here (and anywhere really) etc. that say it. Now if you want to deem them wrong, that's on you. But not all black people have that kind of reaction with it, especially a reality show that is probably spicing shit up for ratings. 

Edited by SoxAce

17 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Among young people, Latinos probably use it more than black people and I've never seen a black person really care. 

It's as if MLB intentionally goes out of their way to alienate young black men. Who the fuck are they to tell black people how to talk? 

That may be a Chicago thing, but in San Antonio, you better be real buds or it will be perceived as insulting. At least with high school kids. The tricky part is negotiating song lyrics. As one of my students once told me, don't sing that word with too much energy unless you are black. 

I don't believe if TA used it to say hello to a friend there would have been an issue. He used it to insult and demean someone in an argument. I don't think it is splitting hairs to see a difference. But again as soon as we rely on umps to make judgement calls, things get really messy. 

14 minutes ago, Texsox said:

As one of my students once told me, don't sing that word with too much energy unless you are black. 

Tell that to Fat Joe, Big Pun (RIP), Pitbull, Daddy Yankee, etc. Latin rappers who say it and black people bumpin their music and rappin their lyrics. Hell Cardi B right now is saying it. 

Edited by SoxAce

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Tell that to Fat Joe, Big Pun (RIP), Pitbull, Daddy Yankee, etc. Latin rappers who say it and black people bumpin their music and rappin their lyrics. Hell Cardi B right now is saying it. 

As you know famous people always get passes. But if I see them, I'll pass it along. I'll also tell my black students that SoxAce thinks they are wrong. I'm sure it will change their minds. 

• Love 1

Just now, Texsox said:

As you know famous people always get passes. But if I see them, I'll pass it along. I'll also tell my black students that SoxAce thinks they are wrong. I'm sure it will change their minds. 

You can say whatever you want to say. I'm saying what I go by and what I know as a fellow African American. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And I'm saying kids tell that when kids are just hanging around singing to the music, (you know not famous professional singers doing their own songs), just kids hanging around, not everyone should use the same energy. 👍 If it ain't cool in a regular conversation, it ain't cool belting it out in a song.

Just now, Texsox said:

And I'm saying kids tell that when kids are just hanging around singing to the music, (you know not famous professional singers doing their own songs), just kids hanging around, not everyone should use the same energy. 👍 If it ain't cool in a regular conversation, it ain't cool belting it out in a song.

You don't get it, and I don't expect you to. I just listed examples from your previous post and now you are turning it around to say "well it's cause their famous they can get away with it". It's more engraved in the culture than you probably realize. But hey if you still don't believe me, my sister is right next to me and I can give her my phone to put in her 2 cents while after she stops laughing at this.

Just now, SoxAce said:

You don't get it, and I don't expect you to. I just listed examples from your previous post and now you are turning it around to say "well it's cause their famous they can get away with it". It's more engraved in the culture than you probably realize. But hey if you still don't believe me, my sister is right next to me and I can give her my phone to put in her 2 cents while after she stops laughing at this.

What don't I get? I pass along what my high school students in San Antonio have told me over the past five years. You tell me it isn't true. OK. Those kids are wrong. 

It is a tricky word... I am a teacher and I was actually playing football with some African American students today (age 13) and they (not seriously) started jawing with each other and once of them used the n-word. I basically just said "no" and they stopped, but its highly laughable when people cry about how "well black people shouldn't say it if other people can't say it". 

I'm not saying I love it when I hear people start jawing and that word enters the mix, but MLB is going down a ugly and tricky road in this case that it's best avoiding.

Just don't go there.. bad idea in trying to legislate this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I always just say "cats" instead.  It works in most cases.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Technically, I believe “weak ass” was intended to be the insult.

Weak ass (buddy, pal, friend etc)? Who adds that to an insult in an argument? But perhaps TA wanted him to know that despite his deeply held belief that he was "weak ass" they were still friends. I'm also trying to think of a greeting that can't be reciprocated. But it really doesn't matter. They were in an argument on the field and Tim insulted the umpire. That gets you tossed from the game. As insults go, I think this rose to the level to get tossed. If he had stopped at weak ass, or said that was a weak ass call, I'd argue he should not have been tossed. 

I'll bow out. But to summarize . . .

I believe he should not have been suspended. Insulting an umpire rarely gets a suspension and I do not believe this rose to the level that warranted it. I'm factoring in he's a black man shouting it at a weak ass white guy. He should have been tossed from the game. End of story. 

If you want to stop the groups that we all know should not use that word in any form you have two choices. Deny everyone's use of the word or ask umpires to use their judgement to determine what the race of the person using the word is and how they are using it.  This becomes unenforceable. I don't want umpires guessing at the race of the person. I don't want them looking at the back of jerseys for names before making a ruling.  So toss everyone out and use suspensions as the leveling. The John Rockers of the world sit out a few games, the TAs of the world are  back in the lineup the next day. Maybe eventually the word in all of it's connotations stops becoming an insult used to hurt people. 

And of course if players are using the word in the modern usage as a friendly greeting among friends do nothing. Only if it's used the way it was used in the past as an angry, ugly, insult. 

• Like 1