Tim Anderson to be suspended 1 game for... language?

Jose Abreu

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So Keller misses zero starts - he'll just have his start pushed back a day - and Tim has to miss a game.

So Tim hits a Homer - MLB promotes the hell out of it. 

Keller assaults Tim for it. Keller loses zero starts, Tim loses one.

This is like when the NFL used to tweet out and show all the massive hits of the weekend before and then, after promoting the hits and monetizing them, they would fine the player for the hit. 

HE GOT.....JACKED UP!! Used to love that

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

FUCK MLB!  YOU GUYS ARE RUINING THE SPORT!

On one hand the MLB twitter was very supportive of Tim being entertaining then this ? He shouldn't have even been ejected now a suspension ? It's bad enough they kicked our hottest hitter out of the game then Moncada left because of getting hit in the head so we lost without our 2 best players MLB better do what hockey did and suspend anyone who comes off the benches and out of the bullpens. I know the twitter feed has nothing to do with the disciplinary branch but they need to stop sending mixed messages. This has to be on the umpire crew chief and if that was West he's a damn dinosaur and should retire.

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What's the difference? 

The N-word was created to degrade and entire race of people. They decided they want to take the word back, end it with an "a" instead of "er" and use it casually. 

You know who doesnt have a right to tell a black man not to say it? A bunch of white people who have no understanding of it.

Great point. It was created to degrade an entire race of people. It is so much more than just a curse word.

So an employer (MLB) decides to stop the usage of the word because of the weight it carries. Within a workplace a rule that is applied differently based on sex or race becomes impossible to implement. Who will decide who gets to use a specific word? I have no problem with TA using the word. Employers absolutely have the right to set boundaries over what is said within the workplace. If MLB tried to disciline for using it outside of work, I'd think they were stepping way over the line. But having a no n-word policy at work, seems within fair boundaries. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

There's a relatively easy way for this to have been handled, and MLB looked at that route and decided to do the exact opposite

Yes, and sadly - although I doubt this was MLBs intention - this comes off as shaming a black man for using a word that has been reinvented by black culture to reduce the power and hatred behind the words origin..  a word that was created to dehumanize them. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, and sadly - although I doubt this was MLBs intention - this comes off as shaming a black man for using a word that has been reinvented by black culture to reduce the power and hatred behind the words origin..  a word that was created to dehumanize them. 

Right. I get where @Texsox is coming from, but the optics of this are just terrible. On Jackie Robinson week no less 

I hope this nonsense does not take any joy out of playing the game for Tim Anderson.  He plays with an enthusiasm and fun that the White Sox and baseball need more of, not less.  The ejection was enough, even though I don't agree with it either, a suspension of any length is just ludicrous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Yeah, it is. 

They spent hundreds of thousands, probably millions on a campaign of "Let The Kids Play" 

To suspend Anderson for "language" that no fan can confirm or deny even happened, not to mention it was a black player using the N word, is just a shocking lack of self-awareness that you would have thought someone would step in and say "Guys, this isn't going to play well at all, no one even knows he said what he said except the players on the field, why don't we just wash our hands off all this." 

That shit is easy, any two bit PR firm could celebrate JR without screwing it up.  This situation is much more subtle and no, it's not at all surprising that the idiots that run MLB are badly out of touch.

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Great point. It was created to degrade an entire race of people. It is so much more than just a curse word.

So an employer (MLB) decides to stop the usage of the word because of the weight it carries. Within a workplace a rule that is applied differently based on sex or race becomes impossible to implement. Who will decide who gets to use a specific word? I have no problem with TA using the word. Employers absolutely have the right to set boundaries over what is said within the workplace. If MLB tried to disciline for using it outside of work, I'd think they were stepping way over the line. But having a no n-word policy at work, seems within fair boundaries. 

Well you seemed to miss the point and I dont expect you to understand... but black people are "taking the word back" after a century+ of people using it to dehumanize them. They are taking it back, making it a part of their culture, and limiting the power of the word that way. 

You said you got offended by cracker so I dropped it... but for you to sit here and say how offended you are by that word is comical with the current stance your taking. If you think the use of cracker was heinous and hurtful what do you think the n word was? There weren't a lot of white people hanging from trees with cracker carved into their chest, were there? Were there a lot of bathrooms and drinking fountains In the 60's with no crackers allowed on it?

You have no right to tell a black man how to use a word that was created to dehumanize them. Just as I have no right to tell you that cracker shouldnt offend you. I respected your wishes but you cant respect others.

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

I hope this nonsense does not take any joy out of playing the game for Tim Anderson.  He plays with an enthusiasm and fun that the White Sox and baseball need more of, not less.  The ejection was enough, even though I don't agree with it either, a suspension of any length is just ludicrous.

Agree 100%.

13 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yikes. 

Sorry to break it to you but Jackie Robinson would side with Tim Anderson on this one.

Edit- I see from a later post that you agree with me, but there are people on Twitter arguing that Robinson would oppose Anderson here which is just ridiculous. 

Edited by Jose Abreu

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, it is. 

They spent hundreds of thousands, probably millions on a campaign of "Let The Kids Play" 

To suspend Anderson for "language" that no fan can confirm or deny even happened, not to mention it was a black player using the N word, is just a shocking lack of self-awareness that you would have thought someone would step in and say "Guys, this isn't going to play well at all, no one even knows he said what he said except the players on the field, why don't we just wash our hands off all this." 

It really strikes me as not getting or respecting the input from people in the proper departments, a decision made exclusively by people at the top. You employ those PR and marketing folks for a reason, use them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

On one hand the MLB twitter was very supportive of Tim being entertaining then this ? He shouldn't have even been ejected now a suspension ? It's bad enough they kicked our hottest hitter out of the game then Moncada left because of getting hit in the head so we lost without our 2 best players MLB better do what hockey did and suspend anyone who comes off the benches and out of the bullpens. I know the twitter feed has nothing to do with the disciplinary branch but they need to stop sending mixed messages. This has to be on the umpire crew chief and if that was West he's a damn dinosaur and should retire.

I have zero doubt that they used this weak ass reasoning in order to make West look better 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Manfred makes me pine for Bud, I'm not kidding.  He is absolutely clueless.  Making the independent leagues try out some of his hair brained ideas -- I thought that was dumb, this is even dumber.

MLB looking for the things that will help it self destruct.