Stroman: I stand with Tim Anderson

Buehrle>Wood

29 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Am I wrong or is Tim Anderson the one who used the insensitive language?  Why is anyone “standing with him”?  Why is he being defended?

He's being defended because based on the reports he used a racial slur than in everyday conversation he would be allowed to use. Which leads to MLB being attacked as being insensitive to the cultural norms in the black and Latino communities. MLB is being defended because umpires would have to first identify the race of the player, understand if social norms allow him to use that word, then make a decision.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Baseball isn’t a normal profession and he didn’t tell his boss anything.  He simply called some asshole who hit him with a 90+ MPH over a bat flip that they were a little b****.  Unfortunately he used a word that some white people don’t understand and got suspended as a result.  There was nothing racist about what Tim said and his comments were relatively tame to what umps hear on a daily basis.  Without a zero tolerance standard in place on the word, him getting suspended is a complete crock of shit.  Of course Stroman is going to stand for him and I applaud him for putting their past beefs aside in doing you.  Your little “bias” accusation here is quite frankly straight up ignorant.

Don't understand the meaning of the word? 

OK, I'll bite. What is the meaning of the word? Give me a synonym that makes sense in "you're a weak ass ___" that isn't used as an insult? 

I fully understand how it is used in songs, among friends, etc. And I don't have a problem with that. He used it in anger while insulting the guy. That moves the meaning closer to 1969 than 2019. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Texsox said:

OK, I'll bite. What is the meaning of the word? Give me a synonym that makes sense in "you're a weak ass ___" that isn't used as an insult? 

I fully understand how it is used in songs, among friends, etc. And I don't have a problem with that. He used it in anger while insulting the guy. That moves the meaning closer to 1969 than 2019. 

Exactly.  Great post.  No one should be immune from using such words in the workplace.

Edited by Harper2Sox
Deleted extra sentence that a mod inserted into my post.
  • Thanks 1

I tend to agree that it shouldn't be used on the field since as players, kids are watching you. Kids (any race) may see what he said and start throwing that work around without understanding the meaning.

Edit: but at the same time, there's other bad shit said on the field 🤷‍♂️

Edit 2: I also believe he shouldn't have been suspended for it (we won the game anyway but still), but maybe just a small fine. I don't really know.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

This post is the perfect example of what I’m talking about when I say some white people dont get the word.  N$gga is not the same as n$gger and your statement above is proof you don’t get that.  If he said “weak ass dude” would that be considered racially insensitive?  That’s the equivalent of what he said.  I don’t how anyone in the world can honestly think a black man could call a white person the n word (and not the original racial slur version to boot) and mean it in a hate-filled way. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I tend to agree that it shouldn't be used on the field since as players, kids are watching you. Kids (any race) may see what he said and start throwing that work around without understanding the meaning.

Edit: but at the same time, there's other bad shit said on the field 🤷‍♂️

Edit 2: I also believe he shouldn't have been suspended for it (we won the game anyway but still), but maybe just a small fine. I don't really know.

If all sides agree the word shouldn’t be used, then simply set a zero tolerance policy.  Until that’s in place, it’s compete bullshit Anderson got a suspension for his comment while Kyle fucking Schwarber was not penalized for his recent actions.  That’s the reason people are upset about this and it’s a very fair criticism of MLB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If all sides agree the word shouldn’t be used, then simply set a zero tolerance policy.  Until that’s in place, it’s compete bullshit Anderson got a suspension for his comment while Kyle fucking Schwarber was not penalized for his recent actions.  That’s the reason people are upset about this and it’s a very fair criticism of MLB.

Agreed 100%.

54 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Am I wrong or is Tim Anderson the one who used the insensitive language?  Why is anyone “standing with him”?  Why is he being defended?

Read this Daily News article.

But it can best be summarized as:

- Baseball suspended a black man for calling a white man the n-word. This is after the white man's feelings got hurt because the black man showed emotion, thereby violating the sport's unwritten rules, so the white man had to punish the black man with physical harm. 

- This is after another white man had a tirade where he screamed f-bombs at an umpire and charged at him last week because he struck out. No suspension.

- This is while the Cleveland Indians exist as a team.

- This is while the Atlanta Braves exist and do the tomahawk chop with their fans.

If Schwarber had been suspended, the Indians didn't exist, and the Braves fans just do the fucking wave, maybe it wouldn't matter. But much like Tim Anderson's usage of the word, context matters, because as far as we're all aware, there is no actual rule around using the word.

• Like 5

Just now, Quin said:

Read this Daily News article.

But it can best be summarized as:

- Baseball suspended a black man for calling a white man the n-word. This is after the white man's feelings got hurt because the black man showed emotion, thereby violating the sport's unwritten rules, so the white man had to punish the black man with physical harm. 

- This is after another white man had a tirade where he screamed f-bombs at an umpire and charged at him last week because he struck out. No suspension.

- This is while the Cleveland Indians exist as a team.

- This is while the Atlanta Braves exist and do the tomahawk chop with their fans.

If Schwarber had been suspended, the Indians didn't exist, and the Braves fans just do the fucking wave, maybe it wouldn't matter. But much like Tim Anderson's usage of the word, context matters, because as far as we're all aware, there is no actual rule around using the word.

Both should be suspended.  But Schwarber’s actions and lack of a suspension doesn’t forgive Anderson’s actions.  The MLB whiffed on the Schwarber situation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This post is the perfect example of what I’m talking about when I say some white people dont get the word.  N$gga is not the same as n$gger and your statement above is proof you don’t get that.  If he said “weak ass dude” would that be considered racially insensitive?  That’s the equivalent of what he said.  I don’t how anyone in the world can honestly think a black man could call a white person the n word (and not the original racial slur version to boot) and mean it in a hate-filled way. 

I get there is a difference. I also get that it is 100% acceptable in regular conversation for some people to use the n***a word and pretty much no one can use the er version. I also understand the root of the usage and taking a once painful word and subtly changing the spelling and  pronunciation. I actually love the irony of it. That's why I easily differentiate between a greeting among players and friends which no action is necessary and something yelled in an argument. Not everyone wants to make that distinction. 

Now do you think umpires should be in charge of deciding the race of a player and if it is acceptable for that player's race to use the word? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

Both should be suspended.  But Schwarber’s actions and lack of a suspension doesn’t forgive Anderson’s actions.  The MLB whiffed on the Schwarber situation.

Actually Schwarber should have been suspended and Anderson should have been ejected. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Actually Schwarber should have been suspended and Anderson should have been ejected. 

Here's the winner.

Yeah, Anderson should have been ejected for using the n-word. Even in context, you can understand an umpire going "Hold up, racial slur. I gotta eject you, man."

The suspension on time merely cements that what Anderson did was worse than what Schwarber did. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Stop trolling here and take your beef somewhere else. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Now do you think umpires should be in charge of deciding the race of a player and if it is acceptable for that player's race to use the word? 

That’s a separate issue.  Tim Anderson is clearly black and did not use the word to demonstrate racial superiority.  That’s as clear as mud and really isn’t up for debate.  If MLB is worried that there will be gray situations like you’re alluding to, then talk with the players union and get them to agree to a zero tolerance policy.  Making an example out of Tim for what he said given the context and when no precedent is in place just shows how behind the times the MLB is.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, pcq said:

Stop trolling here and take your beef somewhere else. 

No thanks.  I’ll say what I feel.  Just cuz you don’t agree, no need to get defensive.

By the way, Anderson served the suspension and didn’t appeal.  That’s pretty telling.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

No thanks.  I’ll say what I feel.  Just cuz you don’t agree, no need to get defensive.

By the way, Anderson served the suspension and didn’t appeal.  That’s pretty telling.

In that he wanted it over with?

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You really are a joke man.

This. This really is a joke.

We had Chris Sale and Adam Eaton, who really couldn't filter themselves. 

Adam LaRoche retired because his little boy couldn't be on the field during drills. Angering the aforementioned players who would cut up jerseys they didn't like.

Oh, let's not forget the unwritten rules which deem physical harm for showing emotion.

If Tim Anderson can't filter himself, than half of baseball might as well be a broken Brita filter from 1966.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

This. This really is a joke.

We had Chris Sale and Adam Eaton, who really couldn't filter themselves. 

Adam LaRoche retired because his little boy couldn't be on the field during drills. Angering the aforementioned players who would cut up jerseys they didn't like.

Oh, let's not forget the unwritten rules which deem physical harm for showing emotion.

If Tim Anderson can't filter himself, than half of baseball might as well be a broken Brita filter from 1966.

Great post.