Stroman: I stand with Tim Anderson

Buehrle>Wood

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Holy hell, after all this, you're going to die on the "Tim using that term could be bad for business?"

MLB spent millions on a marketing campaign the last two years solely focused on "Let The Kids Play" 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2019/03/27/new-let-the-kids-play-mlb-ad-is-out-and-its-stacked-with-baseballs-biggest-stars/#6c39efda166a

On Wednesday and Thursday, Tim Anderson was the hot topic across the entire league, with bat flips, bean balls and emotion in the game being all discussed. MLB went out of their way to take the side of Anderson, something we haven't seen much in professional sports. 

On Friday, the boys over on Park Avenue decided to suspend Tim Anderson for one game, for language that not a single fan heard or could confirm he said, but fat Joe West and a few Royals said he dropped the N word. The reaction from fans yesterday, not Sox fans, but fans of MLB was about 90-10 on the side of Anderson, and how bad MLB looked in all of this. It was handled TERRIBLY and really set MLB back in the eyes of a lot of fans who thought they were making progress with their "Let The Kids Play" campaign and trying to appeal to a younger demo. Anderson didn't offend a single fan with his "language" and could have been fined by MLB, not suspended. It's just an overall tone-deaf look and for you to claim they MLB was thinking with their best business interests in mind...is well....not great, Bob. 

Did they interview the fans? 

I haven't heard that Anderson has refuted the claim that he said it.

I am on Anderson's side, but the claim this article is making seems to be poor at best.

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

1. It’s not an article, I wrote it 

2. I’m not questioning if he said it or not. I’m sure he did. The poster claimed Anderson using that language was “bad for business” and I tried to lay out the MLB’s decision making during this process was far worse for the bottom line that Anderson saying a word that not a single paying fan may of heard. It’s not like he did it during a televised press conference, it was said on the field during a fight (that the Royals instigated) 

Got it, thanks for clatifying.

So, again I stand with Anderson, but here is my response to that.

MLB is a business, yes, but I don't think they made this move based on concern for the business. I think they made the suspension move because of the use of the word and them not wanting it used on the field.

However, I think it was poorly executed. It happened too fast and they should've considered the situation and who was involved, and yes the cultural nuances, more carefully.

I see a lot of people on here who are defending the use of the word and why it is used the way it is used today by blacks. I also see Micah Johnson's response to it.

I also know blacks who hate the word and don't think it has a place in any group in our society. Do they get a say in this?

Edited by Scoots

What I don't like is black people getting mad of a white person says but they can call it to each other. That's BS and a double standard. It shouldn't be used from anybody to anybody No matter what race. I sure for hell would be pissed with another Hispanic if he called me a spic. The other dumb thing is Ohhh if it ends in iga its not offensive but it is of you use the one ending in igger...

Just now, JoshPR said:

What I don't like is black people getting mad of a white person says but they can call it to each other. That's BS and a double standard. It shouldn't be used from anybody to anybody No matter what race. I sure for hell would be pissed with another Hispanic if he called me a spic. The other dumb thing is Ohhh if it ends in iga its not offensive but it is of you use the one ending in igger...

That's not really a thing.

Example 1 of...so many.

6 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Stay out of this one Josh... you don't get it in more ways than one. If need be, I'll PM you and we can discuss why. We had a similar convo years ago by the way and I remember talking about our mixtures.

Edited by SoxAce

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Stay out of this one Josh... you don't get it in more ways than one. If need be, I'll PM you and we can discuss why. We had a similar convo years ago by the way and I remember talking about our mixtures.

Huh

17 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

You would have to be smart enough to understand context. Personally I think it's not a smart usage but black guys talking trash with each other is not a civil rights issue. Acting hurt and offended because you are not exempt from this usage doesn't really matter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pcq said:

You would have to be smart enough to understand context. Personally I think it's not a smart usage but black guys talking trash with each other is not a civil rights issue. Acting hurt and offended because you are not exempt from this usage doesn't really matter. 

So you calling me dumb?

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Micah Johnson adds on.

By the way, this has been pointed out  by those close to Tim but... don't forget where Tim Anderson is from. Tuscaloosa. I'd imagine Tim heard his fair share of the n-word playing as a kid. People have implied such but that's just another angle to this which exemplifies even more why it's ok for Tim imo.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

This just isnt true my man.

Just because you dont understand the difference doesnt mean you should subject them to your train of thought.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Posters like him are exactly whats wrong with the world today sadly.

What’s wrong with the world is continuing to use a word that is offensive to many.  But keep making ignorant assumptions about others.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!! Four friggin' threads on this topic? Four friggin' days talking about it? It was an issue that grabbed national attention for ONE DAY. But apparently a lot of people on this board want it to live forever.

MLB made it the issue.

And God, it sure does beat the 100th thread on Tatis.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I agree with Stroman. Let the players say whatever the hell they want to each other during the course of battle. Emotions run high during the game and dumb shit gets said.

Let Anderson call Keller a weak ass jigga, let Gurriel make fun of Darvish's eyes, let Pillar be a homophobe, let a white dude say something racially insensitive. I got no problem if it happens on the field of play and stays there. The players can police themselves. 

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This just isnt true my man.

Just because you dont understand the difference doesnt mean you should subject them to your train of thought.

What??? You serious lol? I don't understand the difference... Yeah ok bud

Cool, then black people are in no position to tell anyone else how to use it. It works both ways or no ways your skin color does not give you a pass. Personally I say players can call each other whatever they want. I know damn well Timmy was speaking in frustration and honestly that shit just happens.

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You said black people shouldn't be allowed to say it. You dont understand that you're not in a position to make that decision.

Whatever. So a black man can use a derogatory term against another black man but get offended when another race says it? Respect starts on ones house...