Stroman: I stand with Tim Anderson

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

I'm not arguing the punishment fine him suspend him do whatever it's 162 game season what does it matter. Just show it's not tolerated.

I remember when the SS of the blue jays used a gay slur on the field "Tu Ere Marcion??" the response was much more harsh I think he got suspended 5 games and was traded afterwards. Pillar got suspended two games for saying the same and ultimately was traded. Matt Joyce got suspended two games for saying the same thing. In retrospect 1 game seems kind of light but like I said it's 162 games 1 or 2 games what does it matter.

It's all just symbolic.

Tying Pillar getting traded to using a slur seems like one hell of reach

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

In both cases they didn't stick around a whole lot longer.

Whether that is directly tied I dunno but it probably didn't help

Pillar used the slur in May of 2017 and got traded a couple of weeks ago. There is no correlation

37 minutes ago, Tony said:

Don't let facts get in the way of a dumb argument. 

It had little or nothing to do with my actual argument but go ahead flame away.

The point is the MLB has a history of suspending players for using inappropriate language on the field and if you look at the history of suspensions Anderson suspension is completely in line with others if not a little light.

I don't even understand the consternation he was suspended a single game in a 162 game season. So what? Why does it matter to guys if he is fined and not suspended for a game?

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

It had little or nothing to do with my actual argument but go ahead flame away.

The point is the MLB has a history of suspending players for using inappropriate language on the field and if you look at the history of suspensions Anderson suspension is completely in line with others if not a little light.

I don't even understand the consternation he was suspended a single game in a 162 game season. So what? Why does it matter to guys if he is fined and not suspended for a game?

Yeah, straight people calling other people fa***ts is not the same as a black person calling a white person the N word. Please don't try to equate those things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Pillar used the slur in May of 2017 and got traded a couple of weeks ago. There is no correlation

I think he meant to say it was Escobar who got traded after that eye black debacle. 

Edited by chw42

On 4/20/2019 at 10:03 PM, wrathofhahn said:

I stand with MLB that kind of language has no place in baseball.

For all those saying well who is Manfred to tell a black player not to use that language. He's the boss and as much as we all view it as a "game" it is still a workplace.

How many work places let you do this? 

• Like 1

As a white guy, I understand why it is frustrating to be told "you can't have an opinion on this because you are white."

But seriously, just think a little bit. Just a little. The only reason this is true is because blacks were told for centuries "you can't have freedom/humanity/equal rights etc because you are black." We brought this situation on ourselves, so lets stop making it worse and just shut up for once. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

On a lighter note, I'd encourage you to watch Machado on his homer against Kershaw tonight. He broke all the unwritten rules. I wonder if the Dodgers will hit somebody in the series. When he crossed the plate he did a whole dance act with hand signals/gestures with not one, but two teammates. Definitely worst than what Timmy did. Wonder if the Dodgers are mad or not. You know if you hit Manny he's coming out to the mound.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:39 PM, gusguyman said:

As a white guy, I understand why it is frustrating to be told "you can't have an opinion on this because you are white."

But seriously, just think a little bit. Just a little. The only reason this is true is because blacks were told for centuries "you can't have freedom/humanity/equal rights etc because you are black." We brought this situation on ourselves, so lets stop making it worse and just shut up for once. 

Ditto

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2019 at 4:39 PM, gusguyman said:

PREACH.

Appreciate how many posters are on the right side of this issue. We're making progress y'all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2019 at 3:39 PM, gusguyman said:

This is a wonderful post. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

This dude is awesome.  You gotta love TA.  He can legit hit 350/380/550.  Just catch the ball once and awhile Valentin! Except TA can be better and Sox got him in his prime.  And he plays with max swag, love it. Emotional leader in a way Abreu or even Eloy or Giolito never will.  Some guys just run 110% and don't have another way and team mates feel obligated to follow.  It's not as big of a deal in baseball as a more emotional sport like football or basketball but it sure as hell doesn't hurt.

Put some respect on that  [expletive] name!

Edited by chitownsportsfan

On 4/22/2019 at 4:39 PM, gusguyman said:

What the hell are you talking about? This is 2020. I brought nothing on myself and part of equal rights is having equal responsibility.

I heard Morgan Freeman being interviewed once and he asked what can you do end racism? To which he replied stop viewing the world through the lens of identity politics “I’m going to stop calling you a white man, and I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man.”

That is where I am at too. I don't feel guilty when I see an African American I don't feel fearful I don't feel anything. In fact I try to remember back to when I was a kid when it didn't matter what color of skin a person had. I had Indian friends. Black friends. Muslim friends. I just treated them as a friend and talked to them the same way I would any other kid.

The world tries to screw with you and the media tells you have treat people differently because of their background and skin color. Why? I don't and I refuse to do so. That maybe your reality but it isn't mine

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

What the hell are you talking about? This is 2020. I brought nothing on myself and part of equal rights is having equal responsibility.

I heard Morgan Freeman being interviewed once and he asked what can you do end racism? To which he replied stop viewing the world through the lens of identity politics “I’m going to stop calling you a white man, and I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man.”

That is where I am at too. I don't feel guilty when I see an African American I don't feel fearful I don't feel anything. In fact I try to remember back to when I was a kid when it didn't matter what color of skin a person had. I had Indian friends. Black friends. Muslim friends. I just treated them as a friend and talked to them the same way I would any other kid.

The world tries to screw with you and the media tells you have treat people differently because of their background and skin color. Why? I don't and I refuse to do so. That maybe your reality but it isn't mine

Did you wait over a calendar year to respond so that you could say "this is 2020" instead of "this is 2019"?

• Haha 3

On 4/23/2019 at 2:01 AM, mqr said:

Tying Pillar getting traded to using a slur seems like one hell of reach

Should be eres...remember that “joke” being constantly bandied back by players and even coaching staff to players back in the mid 90’s.  Totally different environments in terms of political correctness and whats considered permissible in a clubhouse (see Ozzie and the blow up doll controversy with Swisher, 2008.)

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

1) Bro my comment didn't even quote reply you, why are you digging this back up well over a year later?
2) Congratulations on ending racism by ignoring it, send me a selfie with your Nobel Peace Prize

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Did you wait over a calendar year to respond so that you could say "this is 2020" instead of "this is 2019"?

I haven't visited this forum much over the past year as you can see from my posting history but as far as this thread goes I didn't even realize this was an old thread and I am not the one who bumped it

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2020 at 8:47 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

This dude is awesome.  You gotta love TA.  He can legit hit 350/380/550.  Just catch the ball once and awhile Valentin! Except TA can be better and Sox got him in his prime.  And he plays with max swag, love it. Emotional leader in a way Abreu or even Eloy or Giolito never will.  Some guys just run 110% and don't have another way and team mates feel obligated to follow.  It's not as big of a deal in baseball as a more emotional sport like football or basketball but it sure as hell doesn't hurt.

Put some respect on that  [expletive] name!

Tim and Jose are my team captains. Tim goes beyond baseball these days.