Stroman: I stand with Tim Anderson

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Sorry, but it seems like I'm the only one taking a position against Tim using the word in this situation.

Again, sorry for assuming you meant me. ✌️

It's a slippery slope when an organization run by mostly white men attempts to define the context in which young black men can use slang. If I was part of MLB, I'd want no part of it. There's a power dynamic involved that MLB should steer clear of. It seems like the NBA gets it. It's not surprising baseball is about 15 years behind. 

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

It’s hilarious to me how many posters just don’t get it. Good job MLB, you punished the only African American on the Sox for calling a white guy a n*gga. MLB is so out of touch it’s ridiculous. This would be ok if MLB wasn’t already known to be culturally insensitive. Adam Jones said it best, this is a white man’s sport. African American players coming to Tim’s defense are not race baiting, they are calling out an out of touch league for what it is. Telling an ump to F off is cool as long as your white. 

I agree 100% if MLB stops here. I'm hoping they toss and suspend players whose use would be considered racially insulting for four or five days. 

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

It’s hilarious to me how many posters just don’t get it. Good job MLB, you punished the only African American on the Sox for calling a white guy a n*gga. MLB is so out of touch it’s ridiculous. This would be ok if MLB wasn’t already known to be culturally insensitive. Adam Jones said it best, this is a white man’s sport. African American players coming to Tim’s defense are not race baiting, they are calling out an out of touch league for what it is. Telling an ump to F off is cool as long as your white. 

Great fucking post.

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's a slippery slope when an organization run by mostly white men attempts to define the context in which young black men can use slang. If I was part of MLB, I'd want no part of it. There's a power dynamic involved that MLB should steer clear of. It seems like the NBA gets it. It's not surprising baseball is about 15 years behind. 

Yes it is. Which is why to avoid the slope you have to have objective, not subjective, criteria. Imagine if an umpire gets the race of a player wrong and either ejects him from a game or doesn't. 

15 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I think you are missing the point. Tell me where you disagree

I do not believe that Tim deserved a suspension. 

I do not believe Tim was using the word in a racially insulting way. 

I believe that there is no place for the n***er word anywhere.

I believe that the n***a word is perfectly fine when spoken by certain groups. It is fine in the clubhouse. It is fine in the dugout, it is fine in clubs. 

I believe those same groups who use the term are rightfully insulted when other groups use the word. 

I believe that baseball, to avoid insulting portions of their fan base and society at large, should punish any player who uses the er version and any player whose use of the n***a word would be interpreted as offensive on the field. (note this leaves out Tim)

I believe that setting up a situation that umpires would be tasked with making certain they heard an er or an a, identifying the race of the player involved, deciding if that person should be allowed to use the term, and then making the call is not going to work.

Therefor to have a policy that punishes racist players for using the n***a or n***er word there must be zero tolerance. What a PR nightmare if an umpire fails to correctly identify the race of a player.  

I'm trying to understand why you think I am threatened by not being able to dictate what is  being said. Unless you believe that everyone should be able to use any version of the word. Actually I am trying to stop white people from using the word.

Tex - You seem to get it and I have no beef with your statements above.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Yes it is. Which is why to avoid the slope you have to have objective, not subjective, criteria. Imagine if an umpire gets the race of a player wrong and either ejects him from a game or doesn't. 

The best course the MLB should take is to issue an apology to Tim Anderson, reinstate his pay and promote him as a league ambassador to attract more black kids to baseball. 

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

You keep using that as your crutch, the old “Well it’s their place of business, you couldn’t do that in the office you work in!” 

Little different circumstances. Most people in offices can’t walk around with a huge lipper, can’t throw a hard object at a co-worker when they get frustrated for doing better work than they did, can’t drink at their desk, etc.

But we all know that’s not your issue. We all know your real issue.

Ultimately, the MLB is still a business.  Using derogatory terms may be considered offensive and deemed bad for business.

And excuse me but what is my real issue?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

You keep using that as your crutch, the old “Well it’s their place of business, you couldn’t do that in the office you work in!” 

Little different circumstances. Most people in offices can’t walk around with a huge lipper, can’t throw a hard object at a co-worker when they get frustrated for doing better work than they did, can’t drink at their desk, etc.

But we all know that’s not your issue. We all know your real issue.

Instead of an office, use a retail business. Everywhere employees are within ear and eye shot of the paying customers there are standards. How you dress, how you look, covering tattoos, cutting your hair, your language. 

• Like 1

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

You can’t refute my point so you resort to personal attacks.

Refute your point?  Your point is idiotic.  You tried to compare the word n$gga to the word cracker and completely ignored the fact millions of people in this country use the former on a daily basis with no ill will in mind while no one uses the latter without hate in mind unless they need something to go with their cheese.  The connection is just plain dumb bro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The best course the MLB should take is to issue an apology to Tim Anderson, reinstate his pay and promote him as a league ambassador to attract more black kids to baseball. 

Best post in this entire thread. Hell, I think he could attract more than black kids. 

• Haha 1