Stroman: I stand with Tim Anderson

Buehrle>Wood

11 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Whatever. So a black man can use a derogatory term against another black man but get offended when another race says it? Respect starts on ones house...  

It's not the same word. My goodness. And it's used it to decrease the significance of it. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Whatever. So a black man can use a derogatory term against another black man but get offended when another race says it? Respect starts on ones house...  

Do you not understand the context? 

Language related exclusivity among groups and cultures isn't exactly unique. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I do. But again its BS....

So you think you have the right to dictate their slang? 

Sometimes my gf endearingly calls friends "b****es," but if I did, I'd get smacked. I'm okay with that. I understand the language is exclusive. I know better than to tell her and her peer group how they should address one another. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

So you think you have the right to dictate their slang? 

Sometimes my gf endearingly calls friends "b****es," but if I did, I'd get smacked. I'm okay with that. I understand the language is exclusive. I know better than to tell her and her peer group how they should address one another. 

Brother its not the same... And if you call your gfs friends b****es they shouldn't say shit. Cause they've allowed everyone else too... Again respect starts in your own house

If one of my friends called me a pollack I wouldn’t think anything of it. If someone I’ve never met called me a pollack he might get punched in the face. There’s not only one word that’s acceptable for some people but not for others. 

And to act like there is only is being willfully ignorant. 

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, mqr said:

If one of my friends called me a pollack I wouldn’t think anything of it. If someone I’ve never met called me a pollack he might get punched in the face. There’s not only one word that’s acceptable for some people but not for others. 

Lol...

I laugh cause I'm really screwed.. I can be called so many things. I'm polish on my mothers side lol

2 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Lol...

I laugh cause I'm really screwed.. I can be called so many things. I'm polish on my mothers side lol

And it’s up to to you, a person of polish descent, if it offends you or doesn’t. Not some hypothetical Irish guy. 

There are pretty agreed upon rules about the word we’re discussing. 

9 minutes ago, mqr said:

And it’s up to to you, a person of polish descent, if it offends you or doesn’t. Not some hypothetical Irish guy. 

There are pretty agreed upon rules about the word we’re discussing. 

Agreed upon by whom?  Is there formal documentation regarding the rules and usage of the word?

16 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Listen I think the point here is we as a society shouldn't be calling anybody anything... Just respect one and other

Hang around a bar in Mt Greenwood/Beverly/Oak Lawn long enough and you’ll find we’re not as far along as you’d like

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I stand with MLB that kind of language has no place in baseball.

For all those saying well who is Manfred to tell a black player not to use that language. He's the boss and as much as we all view it as a "game" it is still a workplace.

👏

Edited by Harper2Sox

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

I stand with MLB that kind of language has no place in baseball.

For all those saying well who is Manfred to tell a black player not to use that language. He's the boss and as much as we all view it as a "game" it is still a workplace.

Has no place for what kind of language exactly?

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Has no place for what kind of language exactly?

Any sort of racist or homophobic language really.

It doesn't matter who says it and I've heard well the MLB has to pay attention to how that word is used in conversations among the youth. No they don't. They are running a business and these games are televised.

They are not going to jeopardize tv contracts among other things because certain people feel they have a license to use the word nor do I think they want to get involved with the selective enforcement of who uses the word and get in the whole area of intent and how it was meant.

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Any sort of racist or homophobic language really.

It doesn't matter who says it and I've heard well the MLB has to pay attention to how that word is used in conversations among the youth. No they don't. They are running a business and these games are televised.

They are not going to jeopardize tv contracts among other things because certain people feel they have a license to use the word nor do I think they want to get involved with the selective enforcement of who uses the word and get in the whole area of intent and how it was meant.

I get that, but nobody even knew he said anything until mlb told them.   Tim lost half a game, fine him and leave it be.  Instead, they suspend him, everyone says why that is total bullshit, and then the MLB has to tell everyone he said a racist word which also has divided the conversation (whether he should or should not be able to say it, context, comparison to other situations like Schwarber).

the whole situation was handled extremely poorly by mlb starting with Joe West and they only made everything worse at every turn 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I get that, but nobody even knew he said anything until mlb told them.   Tim lost half a game, fine him and leave it be.  Instead, they suspend him, everyone says why that is total bullshit, and then the MLB has to tell everyone he said a racist word which also has divided the conversation (whether he should or should not be able to say it, context, comparison to other situations like Schwarber).

the whole situation was handled extremely poorly by mlb starting with Joe West and they only made everything worse at every turn 

I'm not arguing the punishment fine him suspend him do whatever it's 162 game season what does it matter. Just show it's not tolerated.

I remember when the SS of the blue jays used a gay slur on the field "Tu Ere Marcion??" the response was much more harsh I think he got suspended 5 games and was traded afterwards. Pillar got suspended two games for saying the same and ultimately was traded. Matt Joyce got suspended two games for saying the same thing. In retrospect 1 game seems kind of light but like I said it's 162 games 1 or 2 games what does it matter.

It's all just symbolic.

Edited by wrathofhahn