And that's a White Sox winner!

chitownsportsfan

48 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Engel just isn't viable at the plate.  He should strictly be a defensive replacement at this point.  I'd stick with Eloy, Leury, Cordell for now.  Leury isn't bad on plays behind him and hopefully with some more game reps he'll get better on plays in front of him.

When Engel is in center, he should be like the kid in the original Bad News Bears who would run over and catch every ball over the other outfielders. 😎

9 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

With Rodon’s injury issues, lack of consistency, limited years of control, and agent, it makes all the sense in the world to sell high on him at the deadline if he is performing well.  Hopefully, Hahn makes the right decision and acquires a Tatis Jr. type prospect for him.

The agent is the driving force for me.

10 hours ago, beautox said:

Love Eloy but after the trade deadline he needs to pick up a first basemens glove. The bat will play anywhere and if everything works out we're looking at a right handed Carlos Delgado with a tick more average. 

I just don’t see the agility to play 1B.  I think he’s a below average LF or DH.

9 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd sell high personally.  But such a tough call.  Anybody that claims to be clairvoyant on that one is full of shit.  And that's 5 years from now as well.

The problem with Rodon is we only have him for two seasons beyond this one.  So if he’s unwilling to sign an extension now (and even that is a risk given his healthy history and slider heavy arsenal), losing him for nothing right when we hit our competitive window would he devastating.  That being said, I’m only moving him for an absolute haul.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem with Rodon is we only have him for two seasons beyond this one.  So if he’s unwilling to sign an extension now (and even that is a risk given his healthy history and slider heavy arsenal), losing him for nothing right when we hit our competitive window would he devastating.  That being said, I’m only moving him for an absolute haul.

I think Tucker and Alvarez or similar package would be enough for me to make the move.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree. The window to win should start next year. Keep him unless it is a great offer,

By the way, new research shows with current pitching, throwing a higher percentage of fastballs is the primary factor for elbow injuries surpassing slider use.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think Tucker and Alvarez or similar package would be enough for me to make the move.

Without question, but I don’t see that happening.  I think it would be one or the other and a lesser secondary piece.  And even that is assuming Rodon keeps this up until the trade deadline, which is a huge question mark.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Without question, but I don’t see that happening.  I think it would be one or the other and a lesser secondary piece.  And even that is assuming Rodon keeps this up until the trade deadline, which is a huge question mark.

Considering his performance over the past 9 months, I have to imagine Tucker’s stock is down. Likely still a top 50 prospect but no longer top 10. And I’m not sure the Astros want to rely on guys like Peacock and Miley down the stretch and into the playoffs plus they lose Cole after this season. Is there another starting pitcher that will be available this trade deadline that is better than Rodon?

I’d rather just have two more years of info on rosins pitching and paying more for his additional years later if it looks good.

If Rodon is just a good #3 pitcher going into FA, I’m not particularly scared of Boras.

His arsenal changes this year, re allocating almost all of his two seamers for more sliders and four seamers, was really smart. As he learns to pitch with that I think he can be really good if he can stay healthy. He’s Corbining and that’s awesome.

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agree. The window to win should start next year. Keep him unless it is a great offer,

By the way, new research shows with current pitching, throwing a higher percentage of fastballs is the primary factor for elbow injuries surpassing slider use.

I recall you saying that in the past and that’s very interesting.  Right or wrong, I still can’t help but thinking that slinging sliders the amount Rodon does is a dangerous proposition.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I recall you saying that in the past and that’s very interesting.  Right or wrong, I still can’t help but thinking that slinging sliders the amount Rodon does is a dangerous proposition.

Always possible. However it's his awful upright follow through that concerns me. That's the origin of his shoulder issues. 

• Like 1

I am not for trading Rodon for more young talent. That's sounds like endless rebuilding. I know he has his down sides, but the Sox are already pitching thin and that is what is keeping them from winning.  I know they may not be able to do it, but the time is to buy, not sell. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I am not for trading Rodon for more young talent. That's sounds like endless rebuilding. I know he has his down sides, but the Sox are already pitching thin and that is what is keeping them from winning.  I know they may not be able to do it, but the time is to buy, not sell. 

I’d argue you could do both.  Let’s just say the Astros will give up Kyle Tucker and a projectable arm for Rodon.  You just filled an OF hole with a cheap 60 FV prospect, meaning you have even more money to fill out the rotation.  It won’t happen, but an unrestricted GM could go out and sign both Cole & Wheeler (kind of like the Cubs signing Lester & Lackey).  Suddenly you’re looking at the following rotation next year.

1. Cole
  2. Wheeler
  3. Kopech
  4. Cease
  5. Giolito / Lopez

Again, we could easily afford to add both of those guys, especially if we have another young stud in Tucker to anchor the lineup.  That being said, I don’t see a Reinsdorf owned team doing what it takes to land someone like Cole, which is a sad but unfortunate reality for us.