Basabe and Burdi to begin rehab at Kannapolis tomorrow

Jose Abreu

3 hours ago, South Sider said:

Awesome. Been a long road for Burdi, it'll be really nice to see him in games now. 

Kind of odd though that he pitched a tiny bit in the AZL  but yet wasn't ready to start the season. Just being extra careful I suppose but not sure we will ever see 100 MPH out of him again.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Brandon Guyer might be on the hot seat if Booker is promoted. Would be shocked if Rutherford is sent gown a level after so little time. Depends on how long the rehab is before they start appearing in games.

I was thinking that this is the most likely route to take as well.  If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense.  Can cut Guyer, promote Booker, send Basabe to B'ham, and keep that OF rotation going for a bit until either Gonzalez or Basabe gets pushed up to AAA when they move up Robert.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:01 PM, Sleepy Harold said:

I was thinking that this is the most likely route to take as well.  If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense.  Can cut Guyer, promote Booker, send Basabe to B'ham, and keep that OF rotation going for a bit until either Gonzalez or Basabe gets pushed up to AAA when they move up Robert.

I think the clock is ticking on promoting the guy you paid $52 million for, though.  The contusion is almost a lucky break for Sox decision makers because you can’t have a guy dominate like this and not get promoted for that long.  It’s bad for the player and a bad example to others.

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I think the clock is ticking on promoting the guy you paid $52 million for, though.  The contusion is almost a lucky break for Sox decision makers because you can’t have a guy dominate like this and not get promoted for that long.  It’s bad for the player and a bad example to others.

Seriously? One of the biggest concerns about Robert is how fragile he is, and oh look, he's injured and missing several games AGAIN. This is not a good thing. The guy needs to stay on the field.

11 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Seriously? One of the biggest concerns about Robert is how fragile he is, and oh look, he's injured and missing several games AGAIN. This is not a good thing. The guy needs to stay on the field.

Note the word “almost.”

19 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Note the word “almost.”

Sure, I guess. I just don't like the way everyone freaks out about how Robert needs to be promoted ASAP and maybe even be in the OD lineup in Chicago next year when the dude can't even stay healthy. Forget about promoting him; let's just get a full season out of him.

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

Sure, I guess. I just don't like the way everyone freaks out about how Robert needs to be promoted ASAP and maybe even be in the OD lineup in Chicago next year when the dude can't even stay healthy. Forget about promoting him; let's just get a full season out of him.

HIs injury history has nothing to do w/ him getting promoted or not. If he is performing promote him (I am not talking placing him in the OD lineup in 2020). He is not going to be more or less injury prone based on what level he is playing at.

I think it's a stress issue. Birmingham is a tough park to hit in, and one of the biggest jumps in MiLB as we've seen with the current crop of B'ham OFers. Robert has had 15 excellent games at WS, but it's only 15 games. Combined with his history of getting injured (which has now happened again) and mediocre on-field performance before this SSS, we should not increase stress on him. Let's see what he can do at that level for a full season, or at the very least, much more of one.