04.22.19 Games

KnightsOnMintSt

7 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I know Hansen has been a starter his entire career until this year, but do you guys think there's any chance the Sox keep him as a reliever moving forward? He seems to be thriving in that role.

They said the plan was to stretch him back out. He was also went through the same thing in college. He was a starter, in contention for 1-1 draft status, fell apart, got sent to the bullpen, Sox drafted him, was made a starter again, flourished, etc. 

He lost 40 lbs. last year, regained it this year. Hopefully he'll just continue to stretch out and be starting in AA by the end of the year.

Also, speaking of players needing promotions like Walker, what about Gunnar Troutwine? Dude is slashing .379/.514/1.100. 8 walks to 9 strikeouts. Catchers throughout the system seem to be holding their own at the moment so it might be a log jam, but that's just about the best log jam to have.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

They said the plan was to stretch him back out. He was also went through the same thing in college. He was a starter, in contention for 1-1 draft status, fell apart, got sent to the bullpen, Sox drafted him, was made a starter again, flourished, etc. 

He lost 40 lbs. last year, regained it this year. Hopefully he'll just continue to stretch out and be starting in AA by the end of the year.

Also, speaking of players needing promotions like Walker, what about Gunnar Troutwine? Dude is slashing .379/.514/1.100. 8 walks to 9 strikeouts. Catchers throughout the system seem to be holding their own at the moment so it might be a log jam, but that's just about the best log jam to have.

Man, we have an all-world name team.  Steele Walker?  Gunnar Troutwine?  

• Love 1

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I'm worried he breaks again if he returns to starting.

I have the same thought, but what if he ends up being the White Sox version of an impact reliever? A guy who is put into high-leverage situations with overwhelming stuff when he's on. Yeah, we'd rather have him be successful as a starter (and the SP depth has taken some blows recently), but I'd take Hansen as a stud reliever right now. Sign me up

3 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

I know Hansen has been a starter his entire career until this year, but do you guys think there's any chance the Sox keep him as a reliever moving forward? He seems to be thriving in that role.

He was thriving as a starter too before 2018.

It is exciting to see Hansen succeeding at all this year.  If in the end, he ends up being a good reliever, then fine.  He was a total mess last year.  Lock down bullpens are very important these days in baseball, if that is how some of our young "starting" pitchers develop that will work too.

2 hours ago, wegner said:

It is exciting to see Hansen succeeding at all this year.  If in the end, he ends up being a good reliever, then fine.  He was a total mess last year.  Lock down bullpens are very important these days in baseball, if that is how some of our young "starting" pitchers develop that will work too.

As someone noted (sorry forgot who) they should get creative and try some of these guys as an opener.

• Like 1