ADAM ENGEL MYSTERY

poppysox

This guy really has great natural gifts of speed, strength and quick reactions.  Why can't someone coach him into becoming a competent hitter.  I fear the moment we cut him loose the next team will turn him into a star.  Most guys just don't have his physical gifts so I just hate that coaching can't find that key to unlock all that raw talent.  I understand that lots of guys have failed at hitting that object moving at 95 mph but not many of them have Engel's raw talents.  I keep hoping he pulls a Moncada and one day shows up with it all sinking in.

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

This guy really has great natural gifts of speed, strength and quick reactions.  Why can't someone coach him into becoming a competent hitter.  I fear the moment we cut him loose the next team will turn him into a star.  Most guys just don't have his physical gifts so I just hate that coaching can't find that key to unlock all that raw talent.  I understand that lots of guys have failed at hitting that object moving at 95 mph but not many of them have Engel's raw talents.  I keep hoping he pulls a Moncada and one day shows up with it all sinking in.

The difference between Yoan Moncada and Adam Engel is that one was given 30 million dollars as soon as he stepped on US soil and was almost immediately the consensus number 1 prospect.... and the other is Adam Engel. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The minors are littered with physical tools guys that cant take that last step.  Most of the guys in the majors are physically gifted.   He can catch a ball, he however cant hit one with regular success.

29 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I agree with this. The White Sox lack in developing players as they are considered the worst at that. Engel is nice to watch player center, he makes plays look easy and can get to balls others cannot. If like you say he could only get on base. The key here is get on base because he also has a great speed and would be a terrific lead off hitter. Maybe the Sox messed him up by trying to force him for more power when as a lead off hitter getting basehits and walks and torturing opposing pitchers on the base paths is what we need, and we need it now. 

8 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I agree with this. The White Sox lack in developing players as they are considered the worst at that. Engel is nice to watch player center, he makes plays look easy and can get to balls others cannot. If like you say he could only get on base. The key here is get on base because he also has a great speed and would be a terrific lead off hitter. Maybe the Sox messed him up by trying to force him for more power when as a lead off hitter getting basehits and walks and torturing opposing pitchers on the base paths is what we need, and we need it now. 

The guy was never a prospect and there is a reason for that. You can't just turn every guy who can't hit major league pitching into Mike Trout.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Look, I'm not a Sox development defender by any means, but look at Engels stats including college

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=163282

you don't take a guy and just "make" him into a good hitter.  He wasn't a good hitter in college, the minors, and now the majors.   There is no flipping a switch, he is a good defender who occasionally gets good runs at the plate which are greatly outweighed by his bad runs

• Like 1

Hitting is a skill, which has very little to do with athleticism. Some of the greatest hitters have been guys who didn't have much natural athleticism, and many great athletes have failed and developing the skill. Good eye sight and strong hands are probably a lot more important than foot speed and strength. In any case, it can take a long time to learn to hit Major League pitching and few players are given that opportunity, if they don't quickly succeed. The Sox do not appear to have great coaching, to help hitters to develop the skill, which is very unfortunate, for a young team. Engel has actually had some very good at bats, lately and has hit some balls very hard.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Look, I'm not a Sox development defender by any means, but look at Engels stats including college

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=163282

you don't take a guy and just "make" him into a good hitter.  He wasn't a good hitter in college, the minors, and now the majors.   There is no flipping a switch, he is a good defender who occasionally gets good runs at the plate which are greatly outweighed by his bad runs

I disagree in the fact that he may not develop into a superstar but can still be atleast a reliable leadoff hitter if they develop him properly. His AA numbers look promising although his 129 strikeouts to only 18 walks last year is not MLB type player, and we can tell he hasn't improved much this season. If I were hitting coach I'd turn him into a poor man's Juan Pierre where Engel makes alot of contact,beats out throws,bunts,slaps singles, cuts back on K's,and wreaks havoc on the bases. .275 average, .345obp 50sb. Problem is, his clock is getting shorter.

Edited by Chisox378

5 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I disagree in the fact that he may not develop into a superstar but can still be atleast a reliable leadoff hitter if they develop him properly. His 129 strikeouts to only 18 walks last year is not MLB type player, and we can tell he hasn't improved much this season. If I were hitting coach I'd turn him into a poor man's Juan Pierre where Engel makes alot of contact,beats out throws,bunts,slaps singles, cuts back on K's,and wreaks havoc on the bases. .275 average, .345obp 50sb. Problem is, his clock is getting shorter.

Adam Engel will NEVER be a .275 hitter.  If he were given an entire season to start, he'd be exactly what we see.  Very good defender with little hitting ability.  He wouldn't get on base enough to steal 50 bases.  Regardless, the Sox do not need him moving forward.  They have plenty of prospects that deserve a chance.  Engel has had his chance.

10 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I disagree in the fact that he may not develop into a superstar but can still be atleast a reliable leadoff hitter if they develop him properly. His AA numbers look promising although his 129 strikeouts to only 18 walks last year is not MLB type player, and we can tell he hasn't improved much this season. If I were hitting coach I'd turn him into a poor man's Juan Pierre where Engel makes alot of contact,beats out throws,bunts,slaps singles, cuts back on K's,and wreaks havoc on the bases. .275 average, .345obp 50sb. Problem is, his clock is getting shorter.

Lol ok man.  Good talk

• Haha 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...there was never a chance of this happening bro.

Ok but just as the OP says once he goes to a different team we see better results, why can't it be here? If he can improve,I'd live to see him starting in CF for the next 6 years.

2 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Ok but just as the OP says once he goes to a different team we see better results, why can't it be here? If he can improve,I'd live to see him starting in CF for the next 6 years.

Because he has a poor hit tool and terrible plate discipline.  Those are hard to improve when you’re 27 years old.

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Adam Engel will NEVER be a .275 hitter.  If he were given an entire season to start, he'd be exactly what we see.  Very good defender with little hitting ability.  He wouldn't get on base enough to steal 50 bases.  Regardless, the Sox do not need him moving forward.  They have plenty of prospects that deserve a chance.  Engel has had his chance.

Dude has had his chance and then some. We will know that the rebuild is heading in a positive direction once this guy is no longer on the MLB roster. 

7 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

If Adam Engel turns into a competent starter I will eat my hat. I would honestly be shocked if he gets a chance beyond this season. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because he has a poor hit tool and terrible plate discipline.  Those are hard to improve when you’re 27 years old.

If this is true,and there is no room for improvement, then let him go.  It doesn't matter how good the defense is,if he can't hit .200 then I'm not sure he is worth a roster spot. (Although I'm not sure I can stmach watching Leury in CF).Does Engel have options?

13 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Nothing in Adam Engel's history implies he could be that.

That's like saying you'll turn Daniel Palka into the Cincinnati version of Adam Dunn.

• Haha 1