ADAM ENGEL MYSTERY

poppysox

35 minutes ago, mqr said:

The guy was never a prospect and there is a reason for that. You can't just turn every guy who can't hit major league pitching into Mike Trout.

Hey. Adam Engel was MVP of the Arizona Fall League.  Your precious Mike Trout never won that award. :cool:

Has there ever been a major league hitter that has a major league slash line of .205/.259/.314 that was sent to the minors and came back a .275/.345 and also able to steal 50ish bases?  I will hang up and listen 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he gets demoted as soon Jay comes back (assuming that happens).

If I were running things, I would keep Delmonico up and send Engel down when Eloy is back.

LF- Eloy

CF- Garcia

RF- Cordell (with the ability to slide over to CF)

Bench (LF/1B/PH)- Delmonico

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Has there ever been a major league hitter that has a major league slash line of .205/.259/.314 that was sent to the minors and came back a .275/.345 and also able to steal 50ish bases?  I will hang up and listen 

Well Trout wasn't that far off from that. But that was for a brief period and he was, ya know, the number one prospect in baseball.

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

All we can do is try, If the Sox are so lazy as to not try for a players potential, then shame on them. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

They've given him 832 MLB plate appearances. That's 832 too many. They've been far from lazy with him.

Maybe Engel hasn't put in the work himself? Okay but still the Sox fault as well for not unlocking his potential.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I've never understood the people who think Engel has all this untapped potential offensively. He's the worst hitter I've ever seen, literally

He has a swing that literally would make most DIII coaches cringe.  I've never seen a MLB player with less power that has such an awful long swing and bat path.  They've surely worked with him to try and get looser and more upright but as everybody noted it's not easy.  That's the swing he'll always have.  He's a decent 4th OF, nothing more nothing less.

17 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If I were running things, I would keep Delmonico up and send Engel down when Eloy is back.

LF- Eloy

CF- Garcia

RF- Cordell (with the ability to slide over to CF)

Bench (LF/1B/PH)- Delmonico

I’d totally be ok with that, but for whatever reason feel like the Sox like having Engel’s defense off the bench.

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Maybe you are expecting a unicorn to show up I dunno

Every single player that has gotten to MLB has worked incredibly hard to get there.  Sure some guys work harder than others, but it's also about working smart and raw talent, clearly.  Engel just does not have the natural hip turn or batter's eye needed to function as a MLB quality hitter.  That's not really something you can improve.  If you could, everybody would be Mike Trout.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I've never seen a MLB player with less power that has such an awful long swing and bat path.

I agree with this. Such a long swooping swing. I wonder if he had that same swing in Louiville, or was that a Sox invention.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

This guy really has great natural gifts of speed, strength and quick reactions.  Why can't someone coach him into becoming a competent hitter.  I fear the moment we cut him loose the next team will turn him into a star.  Most guys just don't have his physical gifts so I just hate that coaching can't find that key to unlock all that raw talent.  I understand that lots of guys have failed at hitting that object moving at 95 mph but not many of them have Engel's raw talents.  I keep hoping he pulls a Moncada and one day shows up with it all sinking in.

This reminds me of what we used to say about Brian Anderson and Trayce Thompson.

8 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I agree with this. Such a long swooping swing. I wonder if he had that same swing in Louiville, or was that a Sox invention.

Did you not look at his college numbers?   He hit .236 in his final year, what do you think?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I did look at the numbers, thanks for the link. But I am talking about swing mechanics here.

Nah, you are trying to blame the Sox somehow for him being a poor hitter, which he has always been.  If you want to blame them for something, blame them for drafting and promoting him through the system without identifying that his hit tool is awful, which was apparent 

• Like 2

The goal for Engel is be like a slightly better hitting version of Billy Hamilton (knowing he would never steal bases like Hamilton despite having similar speed).

As for Engel's swing mechanics, what I always say is he swings like he has never watched baseball and only read about it in a book.

15 minutes ago, Jake said:

The goal for Engel is be like a slightly better hitting version of Billy Hamilton (knowing he would never steal bases like Hamilton despite having similar speed).

As for Engel's swing mechanics, what I always say is he swings like he has never watched baseball and only read about it in a book.

Similar speed?