Jesse Rogers (Cubs reporter) floats Colome for Montgomery deal

Balta1701

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26582024/one-trade-idea-fix-cubs-bullpen-problem

At the moment, Montgomery could be considered more valuable to another team than he is to the Cubs. Despite his 10th-inning save in Game 7 of the 2016 World Series, the 29-year-old has shown himself to be a much better long man -- or starter -- than a one-inning or one-batter reliever. And about 18 months ago, there were rumblings that Montgomery wanted a rotation spot with the Cubs -- or he wanted out. He was somewhat pacified after starting 19 games last season, but it's hard to imagine he will get those chances this year with Cole Hamels on board for a full season, Yu Darvish healthy and Chatwood showing positive signs.

Considering it is really early in the season to make deals, the Cubs would most likely need to trade with a team that is already clearly rebuilding and not concerned with the standings or holding on to its closer. They could even turn to their counterpart on the South Side of Chicago, offering Montgomery for righty Alex Colome. The White Sox aren't loaded in the rotation right now, so there's a good chance that they could find a spot for Montgomery at some point. He has two years of team control left after this season, while Colome has just one after 2019. Of course, Colome makes about $5 million more than Montgomery, so the Cubs might have to find the room to fit him in their payroll, but at least they aren't paying the full freight on the $7.325 million he's making this season.

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Ughhh. You can’t just throw out the term starting pitcher when referring to Montgomery; he’s a guy who has started games.  You don’t give $39 million to Chatwood if you think Montgomery can start 32 games for you.  This is a terrible taek 

True Montogomery is not a proven starter. But if it doesn't pan out you still have a solid RP in Montgomery. It is a little of a gamble.

Edited by Chisox378

3 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

In the deal I suggested we are also getting Happ.

The Cubs currently have Darvish, Hamels, Q, Hendricks, Chatwood, and Lester on the 10-day IL. Unless they're banishing one of them to the pen for Nova, your deal makes no sense.

48 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Since Mendick has flown off the radar in AAA Charlotte maybe I'd due Nova & Colome for Montgomery & Happ?

I'd do the Nova for Happ part, but the Cubs don't need Nova.

Montgomery is a middle reliever or a #5 starter. I'd hope the Sox can do a more creative/productive trade for Colome - but that's my heart; my head says they'll probably end up trading him for the next Madeiros.