04.23.19 Games

KnightsOnMintSt

The opportunity cost of drafting Madrigal at 4 is way bigger than moving Moncada.  You look at Gorman, Kelenic, and Groshans and it kinda makes you sick that we picked him.  I was against it from the beginning.  He profiles to be Darwin Barney.  That is a tough profile at 1-4.  He doesn’t even have to bust to not be worthy of that pick.  His median outcome is not really better than Yolmer.

33 minutes ago, Jake said:

I think frequently about how we moved the top prospect in baseball to a new position because of a guy with a .070 ISO in A-ball

50 pct of his batted balls go to the opposite field. He’s shown absolutely no potential for future power so far.  Like you said, would much rather have had Yoan be at 2nd base for the future. 

19 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The opportunity cost of drafting Madrigal at 4 is way bigger than moving Moncada.  You look at Gorman, Kelenic, and Groshans and it kinda makes you sick that we picked him.  I was against it from the beginning.  He profiles to be Darwin Barney.  That is a tough profile at 1-4.  He doesn’t even have to bust to not be worthy of that pick.  His median outcome is not really better than Yolmer.

Yolmer is a career .242 hitter with a 21% k-rate, .294 OBP and .659 OPS. And despite being fast, he's been completely mediocre at stealing bases. I get that this board hates Madrigal, but he's so much more than Yolmer will ever be.

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

Better to watch these games than the Sox.

Without Robert, there’s very little to be impressed by on the offensive side.  Hope he comes back soon.  The draft issues of recent years are being illustrated in the system now.

5 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Yolmer is a career .242 hitter with a 21% k-rate, .294 OBP and .659 OPS. And despite being fast, he's been completely mediocre at stealing bases. I get that this board hates Madrigal, but he's so much more than Yolmer will ever be.

You’re right.  So far, Madrigal has a career .701 OPS.  My apologies.

edit:  Yolmer’s milb OPS was .724

Edited by Timmy U

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Without Robert, there’s very little to be impressed by on the offensive side.  Hope he comes back soon.  The draft issues of recent years are being illustrated in the system now.

Whaddaya gonna do other than change allegiances until a new ownership that does things right. 

36 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

So a slap dick second baseman wasn't the best use of the 4th pick in the country?!?  The hell you say!!!!!

22 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Yolmer hit .315/.374/.395 at WS as a 20 year old. Madrigal (before tonight) is .281/.354/.351 at age 22.

Still too early to be super concerned, but I think at least some concern is warranted. 

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Thank god we didn’t draft India. The guy has a career 735 OPS and 25 K% in A/A+ at a position that requires power in the big leagues. He’d probably strike out at a near 40% rate in MLB. Selling out for power with a .119 ISO this year.

@fathom;)

• Haha 1

By no means am I giving up on Madrigal. I just believe he’s going to have to make some changes to his swing in order to be a more effective hitter the higher up the ranks he goes. From people who have seen him this year, he hasn’t made an adjustment yet.