Does Charlie Tilson deserve a shot?

Chisox378

If one were to look at Charlie Tilsons numbers we surprisingly have a good baseball player here.  Tilson can hit for average, and can steal, and his k to walk is not too bad(besides his 2014 minor league season.) He knows how to hit triples. This year Tilson is batting .371, 12 k's to 8 bb, and has 7 doubles. How is Tilsons Fielding,I don't know l,but I thought he can go get em?!?  We desperately need a leadoff hitter who can get on base and steal, now may be Tilsons time. That's it! TIILSON TIME! Tablesetter extraordinare!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tilsoch01.shtml

I remember being pretty disappointed at Tilson's defense when he came up because I thought he had a better reputation than what he showed.  Cordell was pretty awful when he came up last year but now looks good so you never know what the 2nd or 3rd time around in the bigs will bring.  I have no problem with giving Tilson another shot but I don't see any reason to pine for him in any way.  He is a good option in AAA in case of injuries with the big club but he probably is not more than that....see Ryan Lamarre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

gonna build an incredible team for the 1906 season

Haha..I'm glad you bring this up because I'm officially going to retire from Simulation Baseball within the next yeat and have fun reading SABR and being a full time White Sox fan. 

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

At least that guy has 1 above average MLB skill.  Tilson likely has none.  

And it's not worth finding out for sure, instead of playing a guy we know for a fact is bad?

Tilson probably sucks too, but this team should be a revolving door of bad players until one sticks. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mqr said:

And it's not worth finding out for sure, instead of playing a guy we know for a fact is bad?

Tilson probably sucks too, but this team should be a revolving door of bad players until one sticks. 

If you think Tilson has a chance to be better, why not keep getting him regular at bats in AAA?  Neither Tilson or Engel are going to start over Eloy, Leury, or Cordell, so you might as well keep Engel on the team as a better defensive replacement/4th outfielder and let Tilson get his at bats in Charlotte.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

No thanks, dude could barely hit it out of the infield last year when they gave him a shot

Tilson has a 0.953 OPS in 62 ABs so far this year in Charlotte.

Ryan Cordell was 2-for-30 until he hit a hot streak and got 2 hits in his final seven ABs last year. He seems to have turned things around. I agree he looks the part more than Tilson does, but why not give Tilson a look?

46 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If you think Tilson has a chance to be better, why not keep getting him regular at bats in AAA?  Neither Tilson or Engel are going to start over Eloy, Leury, or Cordell, so you might as well keep Engel on the team as a better defensive replacement/4th outfielder and let Tilson get his at bats in Charlotte.

This makes plenty of sense right now.

Although I could also say Tilson could be a better player then both Garcia and Cordell, but maybe its just not Tilsons time just yet. But could be soon.

Edited by Chisox378

48 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Perfect take. And he currently isn't on the 40-man so no need to put him on there and take someone off yet.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

All these pro-Tilson/Engel threads really are something

Shows how much this teams needs a leadoff tablesetter hitter.

We havent had a game changing one since Podsednik and Pierre.

Edited by Chisox378