Does Charlie Tilson deserve a shot?

Chisox378

1 minute ago, Chisox378 said:

Shows how much this teams needs a leadoff tablesetter hitter.

Frankly, if Moncada continues hitting like this, there's no reason why he can't lead off. What the White Sox need far more is "good" hitters. If someone comes up and has a strong on base percentage and that bumps Moncada back to #2, that is also great. Our problem right now is below average production from what, 7 of the 9 positions in our lineup?

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Frankly, if Moncada continues hitting like this, there's no reason why he can't lead off. What the White Sox need far more is "good" hitters. If someone comes up and has a strong on base percentage and that bumps Moncada back to #2, that is also great. Our problem right now is below average production from what, 7 of the 9 positions in our lineup?

I like this, but Moncada has yet to prove to be a solid ML base stealer. So yes we can put Moncada at 1, but ideally a good hitter than can cause havoc on the bases would be wonderful at 1, followed by Moncada who usually sees a good amount of pitches to let the 1 run. 

Edited by Chisox378

Just now, Chisox378 said:

I like this, but Moncada has yet to prove to be a solid ML base stealer. So yes we can put Moncada at 1, but ideally a good hitter than can cause havoc on the bases would be wonderful at 1, followed by Moncada who usually sees a good amount of pitches to let the 1 run. 

In this league...people don't cause havoc on the bases very often any more. 

7 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

i dont know, it seemed like Seattle and KC were torturing us on the bases this season.

Those teams specifically targeted a few guys who could do that, but it's telling that KC went with the speedy guy option and they're one of the few teams worse than us, so lots of speed doesn't translate to lots of wins even early this season. Tim Anderson is actually leading MLB in stolen bases right now, but you didn't suggest him. The White Sox and Rangers are tied for 3rd in baseball with 20 stolen bases already, so the White Sox are pretty active on the basepaths right now. It's not a bad thing to have people who are good at that, as long as they can stay healthy doing it (Robert), but it's not nearly as important as finding good hitters or guys who get on base. 

Right, I'd like to have the best of both worlds. A good leadoff hitter who gets on base and causes havoc. Podsednik did this so well for the Sox. He got in the pitchers head and that helped our batters. Anderson may be another option, but Anderson has a good amount of power and still lacks drawing the walk. I can't see him as an every day leadoff hitter right now.

Edited by Chisox378

2 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Right, I'd like to have the best of both worlds. A good leadoff hitter who gets on base and causes havoc. Podsednik did this so well for the Sox. He got in the pitchers head and that helped our batters. Anderson may be another option, but Anderson has a good amount of power and still lacks drawing the walk. I can't see him as an every day leadoff hitter right now.

Pods is a perfect example of why OPS should never ever ever ever be used to evaluate speedy on base guys with little power.  

Right, I'd like to have the best of both worlds. A good leadoff hitter who gets on base and causes havoc. Podsednik didn't his so well for the Sox. He got in the pitchers head and that helped our batters. Anderson may be another option, but Anderson has a good amount of power and still lacks drawing the walk. I can't see him as an every day leadoff hitter right now.

There are very few guys in baseball who meet that standard. It would be nice if we could get Madrigal to be one of them eventually, but I'm still skeptical.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There are very few guys in baseball who meet that standard. It would be nice if we could get Madrigal to be one of them eventually, but I'm still skeptical.

Madrigal I see more as a #2 hitter, high average .330-.340 who knocks the leadoff hitter in, who stole 2nd.

Madrigal I see more as a #2 hitter, high average .330-.340 who knocks the leadoff hitter in, who stole 2nd.

I flat out don't believe Madrigal will ever hit that average because guys don't hit those averages without a bunch of home runs. Only 2 players in baseball hit .330 or better last year, Betts and JD Martinez. That might have been possible in the league a few decades ago but pitching and defense have reached a point where guys just don't hit those averages unless they're hitting the ball so far there are only fans to catch them. 

33 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Tilson's BABIP is .450. He's very unexciting. Jay will back eventually (or will he?).

He's 100% unexciting. He's much more exciting than Adam Engel however. Tilson is hitting .371/.437/.516 with a wRC+ of 152 at Charlotte. He's likely a nothing but it's better than watching Engel produce (.152/.200/.303 batting lines) regularly. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I flat out don't believe Madrigal will ever hit that average because guys don't hit those averages without a bunch of home runs. Only 2 players in baseball hit .330 or better last year, Betts and JD Martinez. That might have been possible in the league a few decades ago but pitching and defense have reached a point where guys just don't hit those averages unless they're hitting the ball so far there are only fans to catch them. 

I'd have to disagree here. I thinks it possible to have a Rod Carew type player in Madrigal.

2 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Ichiro had .103 ISO in his prime. Im guessing Madrigal would be similar.

Well one of the greatest pure hitters of all time made it work so surely Nick will as well.  We've already got a "Rod Carew" comp today for him so why not Ichiro.

Come on.  Stop comparing a guy hitting 270 in high A to HOFers.

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Hard to square the HOF comparisons with him hitting .270 in A-ball. 

Yes it is. I'm sure when Rod Carew was in the minors not many thought he's end up in the HOF . I'm pretty sure at one point in A ball Carew was around .270. Everybody makes comps around here. If I have to see Darwin Barney comps for Madrigal then I can handle a Carew comp from a guy who wishes it comes true more than he thinks it will come true. We get plenty of honest negative opinions.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes it is. I'm sure when Rod Carew was in the minors not many thought he's end up in the HOF . I'm pretty sure at one point in A ball Carew was around .270. Everybody makes comps around here. If I have to see Darwin Barney comps for Madrigal then I can handle a Carew comp from a guy who wishes it comes true more than he thinks it will come true. We get plenty of honest negative opinions.

Carew batted ,292 in A+ ball. He just continued to get better.

• Like 1