We should try an opener for Nova

bmags

Nova has been bad. He is not great against any type of player except maybe Charlie Tilson and Adam Engel.

But he is truly horrendous against left handed hitters, and he gets much worse as he faces batters each time through the order.

What if we threw out Banuelos or Jace to start the first inning, have Nova come in after that and try to get him to only face the top 1/3 of the order twice? And maybe this could influence less LH hitters int he lineup (has that happened when other teams know they are just seeing the pitcher for an inning?).

Anyway Banuelos is probably better anyway.

I know we gave nothing up for Nova and we acquired him before the market had truly been set for FA SP, but my lord, we could have just signed like 15 pitchers for less money that would have been just good or better.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I know we gave nothing up for Nova and we acquired him before the market had truly been set for FA SP, but my lord, we could have just signed like 15 pitchers for less money that would have been just good or better.  

Easily the most perplexing move of the offseason and that’s saying a lot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

We should try an opener for 5 or 6, then bring in someone other than Nova when he is done.

Yes, the reality is all of his numbers were bad, this is just mitigating disaster as much as possible.

Just now, bmags said:

But the sox showing they can limit weaknesses would be a welcome improvement over exacerbating them.

Well earned anti white sox FO sarcasm aside...why not? No obvious way it could do harm, just would require White Sox to get over themselves.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well earned anti white sox FO sarcasm aside...why not? No obvious way it could do harm, just would require White Sox to get over themselves.

Are you asking why shouldn't the white sox exacerbate their weaknesses or why shouldn't the white sox use an opener?

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Nova has been bad. He is not great against any type of player except maybe Charlie Tilson and Adam Engel.

But he is truly horrendous against left handed hitters, and he gets much worse as he faces batters each time through the order.

What if we threw out Banuelos or Jace to start the first inning, have Nova come in after that and try to get him to only face the top 1/3 of the order twice? And maybe this could influence less LH hitters int he lineup (has that happened when other teams know they are just seeing the pitcher for an inning?).

Anyway Banuelos is probably better anyway.

Based on his comments, I don’t think Cooper will go for an opener unfortunately.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Based on his comments, I don’t think Cooper will go for an opener unfortunately.

Very unlikely.

I do wonder if it would be a bad idea to do something like this for a pitcher who may still suck. Because it's like "see! You experimented and it failed, never do it again!"

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

Are you asking why shouldn't the white sox exacerbate their weaknesses or why shouldn't the white sox use an opener?

Why shouldn't they try an opener for this pitcher.

As you noted, they won't, because they are stubborn and the franchise is ok with being that way.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Easily the most perplexing move of the offseason and that’s saying a lot.

This is the only offseason move I just hate.  James Shields could have been half the money and I would have only hated it half as much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

But the sox showing they can limit weaknesses would be a welcome improvement over exacerbating them.

To answer the original question...sure lets try it... anything is better than beating you head against the wall every 5th day.  I've said it before but I've never seen a really good pitcher work slow and I can't remember a bad pitcher who works fast.  Don't overthink it....just throw the ball where the catcher tells you to.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

@greg775 thoughts?

Thanks Ron. I wouldn't do anything regarding an opener with Nova. Just give him 2-3 more starts and if he remains this bad, you've got to pull a Humber and release him. I personally think Erwin is much worse. Ditto him. Release him if he has 2 more horrific starts.

As far as quitting being a fan if we go to the opener, yes I might stop being a fan of baseball. The idea of an opener sickens me. Please, baseball, no openers.

I'm starting to waver on this a bit. Nova may just be unusable in the AL (as seen by the worst hitting team shelling him).

1st time through the order

2.79 ERA

.731 OPS against

2nd time through the order

9.00 ERA

.900 OPS against

3rd time through the order

14.29 ERA

1.180 OPS against

I mean ... comical.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm starting to waver on this a bit. Nova may just be unusable in the AL (as seen by the worst hitting team shelling him).

1st time through the order

2.79 ERA

.731 OPS against

2nd time through the order

9.00 ERA

.900 OPS against

3rd time through the order

14.29 ERA

1.180 OPS against

I mean ... comical.

Yeah,  he has been just awful.  I'd rather see his starts going to Banuelos or Covey.