How Much Longer?

WBWSF

How much longer will Nova and Santana be in the White Sox starting rotation? Better yet, how much longer will Nova and Santana  be on the White Sox team? In 2016 Matt Latos was in the starting rotation and was 6-2 with a ERA of 4.62. Hahn  took Latos off the team. I won't even post the 2019 records of Nova and Santana. Simply put, there records are BRUTAL. I know enough about Hahn to know that he is a stubborn man who doesn't like to admit to mistakes. I think its fair to say that both Nova and Santana  are not only mistakes, they are disasters. The White Sox best pitching prospect is Cease. Every other MLB team would love to have him in there rotation now. Yet he hasn't been brought up and the team is subjected to two bums like Nova and Santana.

10 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

How much longer will Nova and Santana be in the White Sox starting rotation? Better yet, how much longer will Nova and Santana  be on the White Sox team? In 2016 Matt Latos was in the starting rotation and was 6-2 with a ERA of 4.62. Hahn  took Latos off the team. I won't even post the 2019 records of Nova and Santana. Simply put, there records are BRUTAL. I know enough about Hahn to know that he is a stubborn man who doesn't like to admit to mistakes. I think its fair to say that both Nova and Santana  are not only mistakes, they are disasters. The White Sox best pitching prospect is Cease. Every other MLB team would love to have him in there rotation now. Yet he hasn't been brought up and the team is subjected to two bums like Nova and Santana.

Cease isn't the answer right now.  But I'd rather see Banuelos and Covey than Santana and Nova.  Or even give Fulmer another shot.  Anyone really.  I'd give Charlie Tilson a shot at starting...

Edited by turnin' two

The only reason to let veterans like Nova and Santana pitch, is that they might be able to net someone, in a trade. However, at the rate they're going, that isn't likely. I agree with those who would rather see guys who could be part of the future.

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The only reason to let veterans like Nova and Santana pitch, is that they might be able to net someone, in a trade. However, at the rate they're going, that isn't likely. I agree with those who would rather see guys who could be part of the future.

$13.4 million dollars turned into fire kindling in one offseason.  No team will even take on their money, much less give up a lottery ticket prospect for them.  Rick has got to freaking go.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

$13.4 million dollars turned into fire kindling in one offseason.  No team will even take on their money, much less give up a lottery ticket prospect for them.  Rick has got to freaking go.

So who is the talent evaluator who makes the final call on who we acquire?  I know in the case of Machado/Harper that JR is the final call.  Everyone agrees that both players have pluses.  The disagreement comes in when we discuss how high to go in salary negotiation.  Does RH get a scouting report on Alonzo and say we'll give him 9 mill and an option or is Kenny & JR in on it. How about when it's only 4 mil for Santana.  Someone must be the talent evaluator and that person isn't very good sometimes.  Neither RH or JR are baseball skills evaluators.  Just like most of us... they watch lots of games and have their opinions.  Someone is being paid to be that baseball evaluating professional.  If it's Kenny I would like to know.  Someone has to have looked at Nova, Santana and Alonzo and decided we were getting good value for the money.  If what they are really doing is group think then the group needs to be held accountable.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, poppysox said:

So who is the talent evaluator who makes the final call on who we acquire?  I know in the case of Machado/Harper that JR is the final call.  Everyone agrees that both players have pluses.  The disagreement comes in when we discuss how high to go in salary negotiation.  Does RH get a scouting report on Alonzo and say we'll give him 9 mill and an option or is Kenny & JR in on it. How about when it's only 4 mil for Santana.  Someone must be the talent evaluator and that person isn't very good sometimes.  Neither RH or JR are baseball skills evaluators.  Just like most of us... they watch lots of games and have their opinions.  Someone is being paid to be that baseball evaluating professional.  If it's Kenny I would like to know.  Someone has to have looked at Nova, Santana and Alonzo and decided we were getting good value for the money.  If what they are really doing is group think then the group needs to be held accountable.

I wish they'd ask super fans their opinion before acquiring certain stiffs. For instance I'd have screamed NO PLEASE NO on John Jay as well as Alonso. I'm sure many of you would have screamed NO on the Shields acquisition for a potential stud. Laugh at my suggestion, but at least super fans could express their concerns and why.

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

I wish they'd ask super fans their opinion before acquiring certain stiffs. For instance I'd have screamed NO PLEASE NO on John Jay as well as Alonso. I'm sure many of you would have screamed NO on the Shields acquisition for a potential stud. Laugh at my suggestion, but at least super fans could express their concerns and why.

I guess what's the harm. I mean, we're 30th of 30 teams in wins since our current GM took over, you could have done something nonsensical like move Anderson to catcher and you still literally couldn't do worse than that. 

12 hours ago, Lillian said:

Nova and Santana could completely turn it around and make the All Star team, and they're still not going to return anything of substance.  

It's just another tank year.

You know you're going to be picking top 5 when your losing games to the Orioles because of guys like Nova and Santana being a part of your rotation. We might've been swept if not for Banuelos actually having a good game. 

Next year, I expect it will be much different. 

Kopech
Cease
Rodon
Lopez
Giolito

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

And if you look at the soxtalk thread from 2016, it seems like nobody was concerned about giving up Tatis, even though they all knew he would be the #1 prospect in all of baseball. 🤔

Yeah, whenever he gets mentioned its mostly that

1) He's a lottery ticket (which is still true - he just happened to be the winning ticket)

2) Why are we giving up anything other than Erik Johnson?  

We had basically 0 insight into Tatis back then. The only reason people disliked it was because it was acquiring James Shields, who we all basically hated. I still think SoxTalk basically willed Tatis the super prospect into being.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yeah, whenever he gets mentioned its mostly that

1) He's a lottery ticket (which is still true - he just happened to be the winning ticket)

2) Why are we giving up anything other than Erik Johnson?  

We had basically 0 insight into Tatis back then. The only reason people disliked it was because it was acquiring James Shields, who we all basically hated. I still think SoxTalk basically willed Tatis the super prospect into being.

Ha!  If Soxtalk had this power, it would definitely be used as something that is negative for the Sox.  Haha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, South Sider said:

It's just another tank year.

You know you're going to be picking top 5 when your losing games to the Orioles because of guys like Nova and Santana being a part of your rotation. We might've been swept if not for Banuelos actually having a good game. 

Next year, I expect it will be much different. 

Kopech
Cease
Rodon
Lopez
Giolito

That starting rotation plus Madrigal & Robert and you have a team worth watching.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

That starting rotation plus Madrigal & Robert and you have a team worth watching.

I'm not sure on that starting rotation yet. Every single one of them has a big question mark or two, at least for 2020, especially given how this year has started. Have Giolito and Lopez convinced you of anything yet? Rodon has been inconsistent his entire career and so far he's lost 2 mph on his fastball from pre-surgery. Cease would be basically a rookie. Kopech would be a rookie coming back from TJS. 

It's a talented rotation, but it could just as easily be the worst rotation in the league as it could be a top rotation.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm not sure on that starting rotation yet. Every single one of them has a big question mark or two, at least for 2020, especially given how this year has started. Have Giolito and Lopez convinced you of anything yet? Rodon has been inconsistent his entire career and so far he's lost 2 mph on his fastball from pre-surgery. Cease would be basically a rookie. Kopech would be a rookie coming back from TJS. 

It's a talented rotation, but it could just as easily be the worst rotation in the league as it could be a top rotation.

Still at least worth watching. Watching the progress of Rodon, Kopech, Cease, Lopez and Giolito and least gives you a reason to tune into every game. 

Edit: although, I would bet on them adding a starter in some way.

Edited by soxfan2014

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm fully a believer in this corbin'ing version of Rodon.

Me too.  The stuff is clearly there.  It is just harnessing it and staying healthy.  Carlos has everything he needs to be a dominant starter.  He, Yoan and Tim could be (and have been) the silver lining to this crap sandwich of a season.

Edited by turnin' two

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Me too.  The stuff is clearly there.  It is just harnessing it and staying healthy.  Carlos has everything he needs to be a dominant starter.  He, Yoan and Tim could be (and have been) the silver lining to this crap sandwich of a season.

Don't count Gio out either. He looked like he was about to turn a corner before he got injured. 

I'm usually more tolerant of veterans signed or traded for.  I'd typically be willing to give them more rope.  But I'm absolutely done with seeing Santana pitch.  He has nothing out there.  I'm getting close to being done with Nova, too.  He showed a couple times that he might be serviceable, but that's about it.  At this point, I'd rather see Banuelos, Fulmer, or Covey.