2019 NFL Draft Thread

1 minute ago, GoSox05 said:

I liked the Packers picks.  I'm a little more unsure about Gary, but I really like the safety they took.

I'm not gonna lie, I was pleased. Would have been terrified of one of the Iowa TEs going their way, and DK metcalf scares me with Rodgers.

Savage looks really good but I really, really don't like Gary. The lack of production is one thing, but gets compounded with an injury where he may get a late start and just lapped by other players.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not gonna lie, I was pleased. Would have been terrified of one of the Iowa TEs going their way, and DK metcalf scares me with Rodgers.

Savage looks really good but I really, really don't like Gary. The lack of production is one thing, but gets compounded with an injury where he may get a late start and just lapped by other players.

Was really hoping GB would get Hockenson.  I think Savage will be good but Gary seems like more of an unsure thing.  I just really hope they focus on OL and WR the rest of the draft.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm glad they didn't take any TE in the first round.  I'm not big on taking TE that early. 

They might still get Metcalf, but I don't know.  He seems like a dude that could be out of the league in 3 years.

The Packers are super conservative when it comes to injuries, so that doesn't bother me about Gary, they also said yesterday he doesn't need surgery.  The lack of production is somewhat concerning, but plenty of guys don't have a ton of sacks in college and then tear it up in the NFL.  I'm concerned he is a one trick player, bull rush move and that's about it.  He is going to have to develop something else if he wants to be more than a stout run stuffer.  He is either going be Soloman Thomas or Cameron Jordan.

1 minute ago, GoSox05 said:

I'm glad they didn't take any TE in the first round.  I'm not big on taking TE that early. 

They might still get Metcalf, but I don't know.  He seems like a dude that could be out of the league in 3 years.

The Packers are super conservative when it comes to injuries, so that doesn't bother me about Gary, they also said yesterday he doesn't need surgery.  The lack of production is somewhat concerning, but plenty of guys don't have a ton of sacks in college and then tear it up in the NFL.  I'm concerned he is a one trick player, bull rush move and that's about it.  He is going to have to develop something else if he wants to be more than a stout run stuffer.  He is either going be Soloman Thomas or Cameron Jordan.

I don't know that Metcalf will be good on every team, but he seems very good for an improvising QB like Rodgers.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know that Metcalf will be good on every team, but he seems very good for an improvising QB like Rodgers.

He is intriguing,  like you know he is part workout wonder, but you can't help to get excited about a 6'4 230 pound WR who can run a 4.3

3 minutes ago, knightni said:

That's also Miles Boykin, but he has issues with route running.

So does Metcalf.  I like those guys more in the third or fourth round.

It's hard to take those guys with more complete WR out there.  Butler, Brown, Whiteside, Samuel.

It's actually amazing that in the first round only one RB, WR and CB were drafted.  Weird.

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

So does Metcalf.  I like those guys more in the third or fourth round.

It's hard to take those guys with more complete WR out there.  Butler, Brown, Whiteside, Samuel.

It's actually amazing that in the first round only one RB, WR and CB were drafted.  Weird.

Because the NFL is pushing offense, offense, offense with their rules and penalties.

5 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

The lack of production is somewhat concerning, but plenty of guys don't have a ton of sacks in college and then tear it up in the NFL.  

Winovich should give his signing bonus to Gary because he doesn't have near the production if Gary isn't doubled every play.

Edited by champagne030
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think Pace is in love with Miles Sanders, and won't hesitate to trade the Bears 2nd next year to go get him if he's hanging around at pick 55 or so. 

I like Sanders too. Unfortunately, I don't think he's gonna last till the 87th pick. I wouldn't have an issue with trading up for him. As long as it's a fair deal. 

Scouting report: Culture changer, literally one of the biggest reasons Iowa State went from laughing stock to third place in the Big 12 last year. One of the toughest running backs in the nation to bring down. Not fast and probably wouldn't even call him quick, but he's instinctive. Very useful in the pass game, though he's got room to grow there. Great ball security - two lost fumbles in two years, and the first one was a bad call, he'd crossed the goal line. His ejection against Baylor last year for fighting is a non-concern. Not a great blocker, though not due to effort. Was used a lot at Iowa State, so there's a few miles on the odometer. If you have any questions, let me know, I've obviously watched him more than anyone here.

I don’t love the pick, but I want to know what we gave up. I really don’t like how we  are always mortgaging draft capital. 

One thing to move around in the draft but it’s another when you are always going one way. I am a huge fan of the Patriots model...than again that approach tends to line up with my financial mindset. 

Don’t hate the pick either. High character guy but seems like he isn’t great in the passing game and he isn’t very quick. Not sure what he gives us that Davis or Cohen don’t. Hope I am wrong. Fantastic character though. 

Seeing what the Bears gave up, I really don’t like this move at all. We are just giving up picks all over the place when they don’t have the draft capital to do it. Always taking from your future just is a bad long term strategy. You will get burned.

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t love the pick, but I want to know what we gave up. I really don’t like how we  are always mortgaging draft capital. 

One thing to move around in the draft but it’s another when you are always going one way. I am a huge fan of the Patriots model...than again that approach tends to line up with my financial mindset. 

Don’t hate the pick either. High character guy but seems like he isn’t great in the passing game and he isn’t very quick. Not sure what he gives us that Davis or Cohen don’t. Hope I am wrong. Fantastic character though. 

He's decent in the passing game but room to grow. Pass blocking has issues at times. Iowa State didn't use him beyond a swing pass or safety valve. He's not fast, his deal has always been how hard he is to bring down.