2019 NFL Draft Thread

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Seeing what the Bears gave up, I really don’t like this move at all. We are just giving up picks all over the place when they don’t have the draft capital to do it. Always taking from your future just is a bad long term strategy. You will get burned.

I agree with your philosophy too. 

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Seeing what the Bears gave up, I really don’t like this move at all. We are just giving up picks all over the place when they don’t have the draft capital to do it. Always taking from your future just is a bad long term strategy. You will get burned.

They don't have a 1st, 3rd or 4th next year now. They only have 2 2nds, and won't pick again until the 5th. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t love the pick, but I want to know what we gave up. I really don’t like how we  are always mortgaging draft capital. 

One thing to move around in the draft but it’s another when you are always going one way. I am a huge fan of the Patriots model...than again that approach tends to line up with my financial mindset. 

Don’t hate the pick either. High character guy but seems like he isn’t great in the passing game and he isn’t very quick. Not sure what he gives us that Davis or Cohen don’t. Hope I am wrong. Fantastic character though. 

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They're going to have like 8 picks next year. Relax.

My only beef is that I would've rather had Winovich. Behind Floyd and Mack they have nothing there (plus Floyd's constantly hurt and up for a new deal here soon).

I have no doubt DM will be a good player but between him, Davis and Cohen he may not get 10 touches per game

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They don't have a 1st, 3rd or 4th next year now. They only have 2 2nds. 

Would you rather have: 

two 2's, Montgomery, Miller and Mack

or

a 2 in 2018, 4 in 2019, and a 1, 3 and 4 in 2020?

Exactly. Next.

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You don't think they're going to get two mid rounders for Amos and Callahan in 2020? Because they are

Trading away as many picks as the Bears have is just not a good recipe for long term success. You can’t just keep doing it. Interesting that the Pats ended up taking a back too. 

Let’s also not forget Bears have made decisions to push cap costs out as well. Combine that with losing picks out in the past and they play a dangerous game. 

On Amos and Callahan you might be right since Bears didn’t make any major signings. That said I think they only get one cause of the dB they signed counters losing Callahan since comp picks are based on a net loss (I think). 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Trading away as many picks as the Bears have is just not a good recipe for long term success. You can’t just keep doing it. Interesting that the Pats ended up taking a back too. 

They have their best roster in about 13 years and they traded essentially two picks for an RB today and people are upset. They'll have, again, about 8 picks next year, maybe 9 if they trade back in this draft. They're draft picks, guys. 75-80% don't pan out anyway.

8 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

They have their best roster in about 13 years and they traded essentially two picks for an RB today and people are upset. They'll have, again, about 8 picks next year, maybe 9 if they trade back in this draft. They're draft picks, guys. 75-80% don't pan out anyway.

They are getting one comp pick at best and it will be a fourth rounder at best. They will have four picks in the top four rounds in a two year window (this year and next year) and only two within the first two rounds during a 2 year span.  

That really makes it hard to make yourself better and in the NFL teams and rosters can change damn near overnight. It happens every year. 

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They are getting one comp pick at best and it will be a fourth rounder at best. They will have four picks in the top four rounds in a two year window (this year and next year) and only two within the first two rounds during a 2 year span.  

That really makes it hard to make yourself better and in the NFL teams and rosters can change damn near overnight. It happens every year. 

He traded this year's 1 for Khalil Mack and this year's 2 for a guy who had 7 receiving touchdowns as a rookie... with one arm.

Pace does a great job in the middle rounds- Jackson, Cohen, Nichols, Amos, etc. We just have to trust he knows what's doing.

I tell you what- if they win the Super Bowl next year and in 2023 they're 6-10, will you care? 

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Pace has not only hit on picks in general, but also picks they traded up to make. At this point I would trust his judgment and be happy he got the guy he wanted at a reasonable cost.