Ervin Santana has been DFA

ChiliIrishHammock24

6 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Santana was the least of the wasted money.

Not sure how you come to that determination.  $4.1M to Santana, and he provided significant negative value in his few starts.  Jay has also provided nothing, but he was a little less $3M.  Alonso is at least a major league baseball player, even though he's been pretty terrible so far. 

In total, the Sox are paying those three $16.1M.  In they guanantted that to MM, maybe he takes it.  With taxes, $266.1M over 8 may have been enough to avoid those Cali taxes at 10/$300.  

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Very happy.  Hope the money is not guaranteed.  Paying a portion of the $4 mil isn't bad,wasting all of it, well, cash in the shredder.

My understanding is the $4.1M was guaranteed as soon as he was called up. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Just added to the tab. Him, Alonso and Jay, you are halfway to one of the years they couldn't afford Machado, and that is before investment. 

Oh, I completely agree, and don't forget a good chunk to Nova as well.  It is definitely money in the furnace.  Just the smallest pile, but still wasted money indeed.

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not sure how you come to that determination.  $4.1M to Santana, and he provided significant negative value in his few starts.  Jay has also provided nothing, but he was a little less $3M.  Alonso is at least a major league baseball player, even though he's been pretty terrible so far. 

In total, the Sox are paying those three $16.1M.  In they guanantted that to MM, maybe he takes it.  With taxes, $266.1M over 8 may have been enough to avoid those Cali taxes at 10/$300.  

I wasn't considering value at all, since winning isn't really a thing that matters this year.  None of the offseason signings will add anything to the team when it matters.  At best they are all zero value.  I was looking at just plain dollars.  Honestly, I thought it was less than the 4.1, I was thinking he was like 1.5, maybe I switched the numbers in my head.  

Either way you are right.  Waste of money.  Terrible signing.  Trend more than exception.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I wasn't considering value at all, since winning isn't really a thing that matters this year.  None of the offseason signings will add anything to the team when it matters.  At best they are all zero value.  I was looking at just plain dollars.  Honestly, I thought it was less than the 4.1, I was thinking he was like 1.5, maybe I switched the numbers in my head.  

Either way you are right.  Waste of money.  Terrible signing.  Trend more than exception.

Mmmmhmmmm

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I actually enjoy Jerry having his money lit on fire at this point.  It's not like he's going to spend it on legit upgrades anyways so fuck it...burn it all.

As long as it doesn't affect our Value Sundays.   

What a fucked up franchise this is.     

• Like 1

I mean, rolling the dice on Santana wasn't an awful idea.  We needed pitching depth.  He was hurt most of last year.  He pretty good in 16 and 17.  Its the fact that they paid him $4.1M.  If it was $1M or $1.5M, so what.  I mean its not my money.  But when you add it up the sum of the $4M here, $8M here, $3M here, and $9M here for a bunch of garbage, its just so head scratching.  

• Like 2