Ervin Santana has been DFA

ChiliIrishHammock24

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, rolling the dice on Santana wasn't an awful idea.  We needed pitching depth.  He was hurt most of last year.  He pretty good in 16 and 17.  Its the fact that they paid him $4.1M.  If it was $1M or $1.5M, so what.  I mean its not my money.  But when you add it up the sum of the $4M here, $8M here, $3M here, and $9M here for a bunch of garbage, its just so head scratching.  

It raises questions of why we brought him up so fast or at the very least didn’t structure it in a way that allowed us to recoup some money if he was garbage.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Real question, does Hahn have to run this by Jerry and ask if he’s ok eating $4M on a player after two weeks of work?  I still can’t believe this wouldn’t piss Jerry off a ton just given how much a complete waste this signing was.

I mean how many more of these can Hahn's dumb ass get?  

Does he just use the same email template and change the names?  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, rolling the dice on Santana wasn't an awful idea.  We needed pitching depth.  He was hurt most of last year.  He pretty good in 16 and 17.  Its the fact that they paid him $4.1M.  If it was $1M or $1.5M, so what.  I mean its not my money.  But when you add it up the sum of the $4M here, $8M here, $3M here, and $9M here for a bunch of garbage, its just so head scratching.  

Especially when you miss out on a possibly franchise altering player for 50 million dollars over 10 years.  

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

It raises questions of why we brought him up so fast or at the very least didn’t structure it in a way that allowed us to recoup some money if he was garbage.

He was basically guaranteed the 5th spot. Just didn't need him until what, the second full week of the season? It being a minor league deal just prevented us from having to make a 40-man move right away.

Pretty sure it was mentioned by Heyman when the Sox signed Santana that he had multiple suitors and the only reason it was a minor league deal was because he was a bit behind schedule and it allowed to Sox more time to make a 40 man move.  So I do think there was some competition for his services that resulted in the Sox having to pony up to $4.1M...but still.  

9 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I actually enjoy Jerry having his money lit on fire at this point.  It's not like he's going to spend it on legit upgrades anyways so fuck it...burn it all.

I am sure there is some write-off his accountants will use for a failed investment. 

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

He was basically guaranteed the 5th spot. Just didn't need him until what, the second full week of the season? It being a minor league deal just prevented us from having to make a 40-man move right away.

Then maybe they should have structured it so a chunk was tied to appearances like Gio’s deal.  I doubt anyone was offering a straight $4M given what comparable or even better pitchers got in this market.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty sure it was mentioned by Heyman when the Sox signed Santana that he had multiple suitors and the only reason it was a minor league deal was because he was a bit behind schedule and it allowed to Sox more time to make a 40 man move.  So I do think there was some competition for his services that resulted in the Sox having to pony up to $4.1M...but still.  

I just can’t believe teams were lining up for a questionable Ervin Santana and willing to pay that much.  I mean Wade Miley only got a $4.5M guarantee with up to $500k in incentives.  Drew Pomeranz got $1.5M guaranteed with up to $3.5M in incentives.  How in the world did Santana get $4.1M?  Almost seems like a favor to his agent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I bet he wished he could take that back. 

"The Sox front office has received the scorn of many fans this past week but this recent signing of Santana is a quality acquisition."

https://southsideshowdown.com/2019/02/22/white-sox-sign-ervin-santana/

I just can’t believe teams were lining up for a questionable Ervin Santana and willing to pay that much.  I mean Wade Miley only got a $4.5M guarantee with up to $500k in incentives.  Drew Pomeranz got $1.5M guaranteed with up to $3.5M in incentives.  How in the world did Santana get $4.1M?  Almost seems like a favor to his agent.

Yah, I don't know.  Its puzzling.  Glad he's gone, but its just amazing how much money Hahn and Co wasted this offseason.  

57 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nice.  

Insert gif of shoveling cash into fireplace.  

spzeg47uhp111.gif

My god, what did Santana get paid?  $4.3 million total which ultimately equates to $1.4 million a start?  Did he ever even throw above 91 mph?

Hahn is an absolute joke.  I’d love to be his friend though.  Maybe he would just give me some money if I asked nicely since he has no problem wasting millions.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, fathom said:

Good move but dear god what a waste of money. Stay hot Hahn

Hahn sure couldn't handle any of my money.

Amazing as money-centric as this ownership is still keeps Hahn around.

That Shields-Tatis Jr debacle should have been the last straw given not only the colossal waste of money but the lost of a generational type talent. 

It may not have cooked his goose with Reinsdorf  but you'll never see Hahn getting another chance to run another major league sports organization into the ground.

I don't think it has anything to do with loyalty. Reinsdorf has the biggest ego in both of his organization. Getting rid of Gar-Pax or Kenny-Hahn is as close as you get to him. He'll never give us the satisfaction of hearing him admit failure. 

Never.

Edited by GradMc