Ervin Santana has been DFA

ChiliIrishHammock24

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Considering how short of a leash they had on him, I figured they had to have had some type of out clause on the $4.3M. Especially when they don’t have many good options behind him.

The only thing that stinks about this, and it is a very minor almost meaningless gripe, is that it would have been nice to see the Sox be smart enough to cut ties with dead money. 

Obviously, it's good that they were smart enough to not hand out dead money in this case, but it was reassuring that they cut him when I thought they still owed him. 

Edited by mqr

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

The only thing that stinks about this, and it is a very minor almost meaningless gripe, is that it would have been nice to see the Sox be smart enough to cut ties with dead money. 

The only way it will be meaningful is if they miss the playoffs by a couple games this season (I don’t see that happening but anything can happen when you are still in April, right 😁)

4 hours ago, tray said:

I agree with calling trolls out and asking posters who aren't  trolls to apologize for premature, un-researched, off-the-cuff. thoughtless, provocative remarks,

I'm waiting...

Who are you kidding?  Hahn had a pathetic offseason, regardless of saving a few bucks on his awful signing of 36 year old Ervin Santana, whom every other team knew was done.  Try to tell me how good Hahn has been with his free agent signings, especially this past offseason please.  It’s not trolling when it’s true.  The Sox would be on the hook for $4.3 million if Santana wasn’t a moron.

I’m waiting...

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

Who are you kidding?  Hahn had a pathetic offseason, regardless of saving a few bucks on his awful signing of 36 year old Ervin Santana, whom every other team knew was done.  Try to tell me how good Hahn has been with his free agent signings, especially this past offseason please.  It’s not trolling when it’s true.  The Sox would be on the hook for $4.3 million if Santana wasn’t a moron.

I’m waiting...

McCann looks great. Outhitting Narvaez and much better defensively. $2.5M looks like an absolute steal to this point (even while the rest of the board disliked the signing when it was made).

His only other MLB free agent signings last offseason were Jon Jay, who has been out to due injury, and Kelvin Herrera, who has been terrific as a setup man.

Thus far, I’d say Hahn did quite well with his free agent signings last offseason...

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

McCann looks great. Outhitting Narvaez and much better defensively. $2.5M looks like an absolute steal to this point (even while the rest of the board disliked the signing when it was made).

His only other MLB free agent signings last offseason were Jon Jay, who has been out to due injury, and Kelvin Herrera, who has been terrific as a setup man.

Thus far, I’d say Hahn did quite well with his free agent signings last offseason...

Herrera, Colome, and McCann all look good — $19 million well spent so far.  But the $22+ million he spent on the guys below?  Not so much. I guess we will have to circle back to all of their numbers at the end of the year.

Nova

Alonso

Jay

Santana

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Herrera, Colome, and McCann all look good — $19 million well spent so far.  But the $22+ million he spent on the guys below?  Not so much.

Nova

Alonso

Jay

Santana

Alonso has been fine. Currently has a higher wRC+ than Manny Machado 😮

Nova is the only one I never understood. No defending that trade.

8 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Herrera, Colome, and McCann all look good — $19 million well spent so far.  But the $22+ million he spent on the guys below?  Not so much.

Nova

Alonso

Jay

Santana

To his credit, he didn’t end up spending $4.2M on a broken Santana.  Also, Statcast seems to think Alonso has gotten super unlucky so far this year.  As for Jay, I really can’t hate on that move unless they failed to do a physical or something of that nature.

Nova is the one move that really bothers me because it’s hard to believe anyone could rationally think he’d be good in the AL and there were plenty of other options for the same price that made a ton more sense.  And I didn’t like the McCann move, but at the very minimum he’s been better than expected.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To his credit, he didn’t end up spending $4.2M on a broken Santana.  Also, Statcast seems to think Alonso has gotten super unlucky so far this year.  As for Jay, I really can’t hate on that move unless they failed to do a physical or something of that nature.

Nova is the one move that really bothers me because it’s hard to believe anyone could rationally think he’d be good in the AL and there were plenty of other options for the same price that made a ton more sense.  And I didn’t like the McCann move, but at the very minimum he’s been better than expected.

100% agree

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Come on dude, do you actually believe he’ll sustain an under .200 BABIP?

Does it matter?  He’s 32 year old DH with a career OPS of .744 earning $9 million.  We should all just hope he gets hot as hell and Hahn is able to dump him before his option vests.

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

Does it matter?  He’s 32 year old DH with a career OPS of .744 earning $9 million.  We should all just hope he gets hot as hell and Hahn is able to dump him before his option vests.

I have no issue with you not liking the move, but let’s not cite his lower batting average as proof that he’s sucked this year.  And career numbers are meaningless for him given the Statcast revolution.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have no issue with you not liking the move, but let’s not cite his lower batting average as proof that he’s sucked this year.  And career numbers are meaningless for him given the Statcast revolution.

Do you want Alonso on the team next year at $9 million?

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

Do you want Alonso on the team next year at $9 million?

Maybe?  Depends on how his season shakes out and if we need a one year placeholder at 1B.  If we end up with Vaughn and decide to keep Collins at catcher, I may be ok with Alonso at 1B for one year (again, depending on how his season shakes out).

7 hours ago, tray said:

I agree with calling trolls out and asking posters who aren't  trolls to apologize for premature, un-researched, off-the-cuff. thoughtless, provocative remarks,

I'm waiting...

You're going to have a long wait. Every year half the team would be DFA'd and all the coaches and all FO people gone if we go by "premature, un-researched, off-the-cuff. thoughtless" remarks.

Nova is clearly the worst move. What the Sox traded was likely insignificant, but the fact that they gave something up in order to pay Nova $9M+ is a really bad look considering how the free agent market played out this offseason.  

---------------------------

Wade Miley 1 year $4.5M 

Clay Bucholz 1 year $3.0M

Gio Gonzalez 1 year $2M

Jeremy Hellickson 1 year $1.3M

Tyson Ross 1 year $5.75M

Matt Shoemaker 1 year $3.5M

Marco Estrada 1 year $4M

Drew Pomeranz 1 year $1.5

-------------------------

White Sox pay Nova 1 year $9.1M and gave Santana $4M  to walk away from. Any 2 of those pitchers above  +1M on their contract too and you spend less than the Sox did on Nova/Santana* (*if Santana wasn't dumb and didn't opt out).

Hahn did not give the market time to develop. Those who waited were rewarded. Those who got 4/5 starts in Deceember. Sox & Tigers.

• Love 1