Gregor: Sox talking about bringing up top prospects sooner

Sockin

30 minutes ago, daggins said:

I'm not going to say I agree with it, because I don't, but if this demonstrates a degree of urgency in winning/replacing non-contributors then maybe it can end up a good thing.

One thing I will say is that Jimmy Lambert has been very good in AA.

Yes, and AAA is an overrated stop in MiLB these days. If you perform at AA you're likely as prepared as performing at AAA, especially in this organization with the park differences. AA will likely be the toughest spot.

2 hours ago, daggins said:

I'm not going to say I agree with it, because I don't, but if this demonstrates a degree of urgency in winning/replacing non-contributors then maybe it can end up a good thing.

One thing I will say is that Jimmy Lambert has been very good in AA.

When I saw the tweet, I Kinda figured they were talking about Lambert and Paulino

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Paulino?

Felix Paulino... Sox got him last August from Philadelphia for Avilan. Phillies dicked him around in and out of the bullpen. Sox stuck him in the Barons rotation and he's been lights out. A year younger than Lambert and has a nice fastball slider mix. 

Seems like an attempt to save a dying franchise and I support it. Last year White Sox had the lowest market share ratings in baseball, this season they are probably trending even lower. Meschandise sales are probably way down too. Have you seen game threads lately? Have they ever been less active? I made it through last season but even I am struggling to pay attention this year. Bringing up more of the young guys may not help us win right now but it will make the team more interesting to follow.

10 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Seems like an attempt to save a dying franchise and I support it. Last year White Sox had the lowest market share ratings in baseball, this season they are probably trending even lower. Meschandise sales are probably way down too. Have you seen game threads lately? Have they ever been less active? I made it through last season but even I am struggling to pay attention this year. Bringing up more of the young guys may not help us win right now but it will make the team more interesting to follow.

Terrible logic. Houston lost 100 games for three straight years during their rebuild. The Sox are tanking and we need to embrace it cause it aint ending any time soon. 100 losses this year and 95 plus losses next year are pretty much locks at this point. The Sox need to keep stockpiling top 5 draft picks and let the kids develop. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Terrible logic. Houston lost 100 games for three straight years during their rebuild. The Sox are tanking and we need to embrace it cause it aint ending any time soon. 100 losses this year and 95 plus losses next year are pretty much locks at this point. The Sox need to keep stockpiling top 5 draft picks and let the kids develop. 

95 loses next year then the rebuild has failed and we are going to have end up doing it all over again. If White Sox are awful next year, where are these great players going to come from to make this team good? Are we going to wait until Moncada finale season with the Sox until we start expecting to compete?

• Like 1

But yeah, this does wreak of desperation to me as well. I think think the Sox know the last year has taken the air out of the rebuild balloon. Fans are losing patience with some of the underperforming prospects, combined with the Machado/Harper fiasco. They desperately need positive vibes. Maybe Hahn is actually feeling some heat?

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

But yeah, this does wreak of desperation to me as well. I think think the Sox know the last year has taken the air out of the rebuild balloon. Fans are losing patience with some of the underperforming prospects, combined with the Machado/Harper fiasco. They desperately need positive vibes. Maybe Hahn is actually feeling some heat?

This exactly. This, to me, screams KennyHahna saying:

I put together another terrible team this year and wasted lots of money on washed up FAs (see Nova, Santana, Alonso) - even though I promised not to do it anymore - which amounted to the same money I missed out on Machado for. Oh by the way, the susperstar prospect I traded away for another washed up FA is now up and playing with the superstar FA I missed out on. But look away from the mess on the field and all my bad GM moves, I’m going to rush up some prospects so we can talk about that to show you not everything I did here was awful.  Anyways, is Adam Jones available yet? I wonder if the D Backs would deal him for Robert? We’re only sitting about 5 back from a wild card. That should put us over the top.

Edited by Special K
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

The problem is fans thought, and rightfully so, that this rebuild would be over in 2020. If we lose 95 games next year......

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

It's too late to fast-track Cease, since he's nearly ready already. I think this has got to be about Luis Robert. If he can actually keep his hands healthy.

Man I really hope we don't see him this year. Let him get a full season of reps in the minors first. Plus service time issue. Reward him with a mid-April call up next year if he kills it this year.

Edited by soxfan2014

Sox have a truly gifted prospect in Robert.  They should accelerate his route to MLB.  Other teams, Toronto and Washington, did that with Vlad and Soto,  Luis Robert will probably have at least a five year minor league career.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JuliusO1274 said:

This year has been fun. The Sox might have an elite left side of the infield. That's a damn tough thing to find. Eloy will be fine. Tuning in to watch those three is well worth it. Last year was tough, this year has been fun. Offense is fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Baseball has changed. No longer are players going to sit in the minor leagues until theyre 24 years old. Teams are calling up talent younger and younger. This would be the white Sox joining the club. Adjustments need to be made at the big league level. Some will fail and some will figure it out. Look at Tim Anderson as exhibit A. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

The problem is fans thought, and rightfully so, that this rebuild would be over in 2020. If we lose 95 games next year......

The FO could care less what the fans think. The great thing about rebuilding is that you can always use the "development isn't linear" card and push out the contention window out a year or two. 2020 will be another tank year unless the Sox go crazy in FA and trades. Hopefully it is the last tank year though.

5 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Baseball has changed. No longer are players going to sit in the minor leagues until theyre 24 years old. Teams are calling up talent younger and younger. This would be the white Sox joining the club. Adjustments need to be made at the big league level. Some will fail and some will figure it out. Look at Tim Anderson as exhibit A. 

Tim Anderson is exhibit A? He was called up when he was 23 and hopefully has figured it out at 26. If they called him up when he was 21, he might be doing something other than flipping bats right now.

a guy like Robert is not going to sign a team friendly extension because he has already been paid. If he is as good as we all hope, he is going to command top dollar, something the White Sox haven’t yet shown they will pay. To have maybe 3 or 4 mediocre at best years from him before he figures it out is stupidity if it can be avoided. 

To call them up to struggle is silly. They will do plenty of that anyway when they are farther down the developmental line. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

The key thing is that the guy be able to be competitive. About August 1st last year, you could have called Eloy up and he'd be over a lot of the stuff he's dealing with right now. On the flip side, we moved Carson Fulmer up way too fast and he had to just struggle to survive at higher levels. It is to be determined whether Carson will ever recover (and we'll never know what he would have done with a slower pace through the minors). Gordon Beckham is another example of a guy who got up here too quick and was at too high of a level to deal with the big picture problems he had.

Dylan Cease I presume would be okay getting up here and pitching because he's done so well at the higher levels he's pitched at. He maybe hasn't gotten every last ounce of development out of AAA just yet but nowadays if a pitcher can hang in MLB there's no use letting him use up whatever's left of his ligaments in the minors.

• Like 1