Gregor: Sox talking about bringing up top prospects sooner

Sockin

2 hours ago, Jake said:

The key thing is that the guy be able to be competitive. About August 1st last year, you could have called Eloy up and he'd be over a lot of the stuff he's dealing with right now. On the flip side, we moved Carson Fulmer up way too fast and he had to just struggle to survive at higher levels. It is to be determined whether Carson will ever recover (and we'll never know what he would have done with a slower pace through the minors). Gordon Beckham is another example of a guy who got up here too quick and was at too high of a level to deal with the big picture problems he had.

Dylan Cease I presume would be okay getting up here and pitching because he's done so well at the higher levels he's pitched at. He maybe hasn't gotten every last ounce of development out of AAA just yet but nowadays if a pitcher can hang in MLB there's no use letting him use up whatever's left of his ligaments in the minors.

Gordon Beckham is still in the league. 

He wasnt rushed. Hes just simply not good enough at hitting a baseball. 

20 minutes ago, flavum said:

Collins hitting .259 in AAA with his ability to walk. Would definitely like to see him up soon. 

Not sure who he would replace though. McCann is a fine defensive catcher and he is on fire with hitting the ball right now, and I'm pretty sure they want to play out Welington's contract. I bet Collins will be up in September.

If one of the catchers get hurt, I think he's up in a heart beat though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

You  can add Hansen to that list as well

Hansen isn't even close to being ready. As up and down as he's been with the seemingly mental issues that bothered him last year on the mound, the worst thing the Sox could do is rush him to get beat up mentally and physically at the big league level. That would be a major mistake. The guy is still working his way back in short relief spots. 

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Hansen isn't even close to being ready. As up and down as he's been with the seemingly mental issues that bothered him last year on the mound, the worst thing the Sox could do is rush him to get beat up mentally and physically at the big league level. That would be a major mistake. The guy is still working his way back in short relief spots. 

I wasn't talking about rushing him to the big leagues, but trying to get him to AAA by the end of the season. He's going to have to go on the 40 man soon to protect him from rule V anyway. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Collins is definitely the one guy this could definitely apply to.  Part of me really wants to say fuck it, call up Zack right now, and make him our full-time 1B immediately.  Grandal will be a free agent next year, won’t cost a pick, and likely would be a much better handler for a young staff.  If we’re prepared to go big there (the money has to be spent on something right?), it makes it much easier to move Collins to 1B.

Regardless, it’s clear as day that Collins needs to make the same adjustments that Moncada did.  As fathom can attest, he too often takes strike three looking and that can be fixed with a more aggressive approach in such situations.  To his credit, Steverson worked with Moncada on this and it’s clearly paid dividends.  I’d like to see the same work put in with Zack and clearly these adjustments won’t be happening in the minors.  If it takes failure at the major league to force such changes so be it.  

But the reality is a slightly improved Collins could be a dangerous left-handed bat for the middle of the lineup (cue Lillian) and that’s something we’ll definitely need in the near future regardless of position.  Let him use a lost season to take his lumps and better set us for a 2020 run.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Collins is definitely the one guy this could definitely apply to.  Part of me really wants to say fuck it, call up Zack right now, and make him our full-time 1B immediately.  Grandal will be a free agent next year, won’t cost a pick, and likely would be a much better handler for a young staff.  If we’re prepared to go big there (the money has to be spent on something right?), it makes it much easier to move Collins to 1B.

Regardless, it’s clear as day that Collins needs to make the same adjustments that Moncada did.  As fathom can attest, he too often takes strike three looking and that can be fixed with a more aggressive approach in such situations.  To his credit, Steverson worked with Moncada on this and it’s clearly paid dividends.  I’d like to see the same work put in with Zack and clearly these adjustments won’t be happening in the minors.  If it takes failure at the major league to force such changes so be it.  

But the reality is a slightly improved Collins could be a dangerous left-handed bat for the middle of the lineup (cue Lillian) and that’s something we’ll definitely need in the near future regardless of position.  Let him use a lost season to take his lumps and better set us for a 2020 run.

I 100% agree with this and would love to see them commit to Collins at 1B in the bigs.  I just have a hard time seeing it happen right now with Abreu and Alonso on the roster.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I 100% agree with this and would love to see them commit to Collins at 1B in the bigs.  I just have a hard time seeing it happen right now with Abreu and Alonso on the roster.

Yeah, that’s definitely the problem.  But maybe come June it’s easier to find a home for Abreu or Alonso.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ron883 said:

If Alonso is good, he gets traded. If he stinks, Collins comes up as a catcher/DH and makes sure Alonso doesn't hit the ABs required to trigger next year's option. Works out perfectly. 

Agreed. Start a game thread, please.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 4:13 PM, Sockin said:

If this is true and they move Robert do AA and he does well there, it would not surprise me if they promote him straight to the majors from there. 

I might be reading in between the lines here but this also might be fan interest related. I don't know if they realized how low the interest would be with the team this year and they know if they get the younger guys up here it would drive it up a little. Before anyone tells me that's ridiculous this is the White Sox we're talking about. 

I fully expect this shitshow of a front office to make a stupid move like this just to sell a few more tickets for brooks boyer's disinterested ass.

On 4/26/2019 at 4:23 PM, ScooterMcGee said:

I really don't think there is much interest because the team is losing just like every other year, to bad teams, and we were promised they would be better. The Machado debacle didn't help anything.

The Sox won their home-opener. The next day, the park was packed again, I think in large part due to great performances by Yoan and Anderson, and the simple fact they won the game. Then they lost and Sunday the park was empty. The fans are done with losing. And I think the FO is trying to take steps to correct itself, like DFA'ing Santana and sending down Palka, etc. I think this year they are going to be more harsh on poor performances from players they can afford to get rid of, and I think they will be more rewarding with those who do well. 

I am interested to see what the park looks like tonight with Detroit and the promotion, and with it being Friday night. Shitty weather the rest of the weekend so not expecting much there, but tonight I am curious about.

If this is true, would not be surprised to see Cease up in June and Robert, if he continues to rake and stay healthy, possibly a September call-up? If anything, dude will be up early next year.

I could also see Burdi coming up this year.

the weather was nice on a saturday afternoon. and they gave out free hoodies.

don't be cute about why home game #2 was a near sell-out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2019 at 5:52 PM, Jake said:

The key thing is that the guy be able to be competitive. About August 1st last year, you could have called Eloy up and he'd be over a lot of the stuff he's dealing with right now. On the flip side, we moved Carson Fulmer up way too fast and he had to just struggle to survive at higher levels. It is to be determined whether Carson will ever recover (and we'll never know what he would have done with a slower pace through the minors). Gordon Beckham is another example of a guy who got up here too quick and was at too high of a level to deal with the big picture problems he had.

Dylan Cease I presume would be okay getting up here and pitching because he's done so well at the higher levels he's pitched at. He maybe hasn't gotten every last ounce of development out of AAA just yet but nowadays if a pitcher can hang in MLB there's no use letting him use up whatever's left of his ligaments in the minors.

In retrospect, considering they gave him an eight year extension, the sox would have been better to call him up last august to draw some buzz in the fanbase and box office, and for him to get used to life in the bigs. and THEN extend him in the winter.  instead, you further frustrate the fanbase and it looked like eloy was frustrated as well. 

On 4/27/2019 at 5:52 PM, Jake said:

Carson Fulmer sucks because he doesn't ever know where the ball is going. I'm not sure not rushing him has anything to do with that

On 4/26/2019 at 5:48 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Unlike some here I have no problem with this. Gordon Beckham didn't fail because he was rushed. He wasnt good enough. If you're good enough you'll adjust and survive. Baseball is learning this as well.

And its not like these players are 19 or something. Robert will be 22 this season, Madrigal is 22, Collins is 24. Bring them up faster. Let them have a Moncada year of learning. 

3 hours ago, mqr said:

Carson Fulmer sucks because he doesn't ever know where the ball is going. I'm not sure not rushing him has anything to do with that

Like I said we'll never know what would have happened with a normal timeline but you can look at the numbers in the minors and see a guy who kept getting promoted without having justified the promotion. Maybe he'd have been bad no matter where he pitched but if I have a guy with control problems the last thing I want to do is rush him into better and better competition where every mistake gets punished and he can't work on anything.