'Why isn't there a game thread?" - White Sox vs Tigers, 7:10 PM

ron883

13 hours ago, flavum said:

Anderson shouldn't have been tagging up, Abreu didn't look to see if he was passing a teammate, and Boston was standing there seemingly not saying anything. Clean it up. BUt they won, and it was fun. 

Not sure why they haven't postponed yet. They've known for a couple days they aren't playing tonight. 

That call happens maybe once every 10 years. I think Robin Ventura had it happen to him on a grand slam. Don't remember if he was on the Sox or Mets when it happened.

One poster in the game thread said those saying it was Anderson's fault were baseball dumb. But not really. For over 150 years of baseball tagging up from 1st on a fly ball to left or right field was frowned upon. If the catch is made the throw isn't difficult to 2nd base. Normal procedure is to go halfway until the ball is either caught or hits high off a wall or a fielder attempting a difficult catch can't grab it cleanly. If you go back to tag up you ,more than likely, will lose a base after it stays in the park and and the fielder can't make the catch. Tim went halfway then decided to pack pedal back to 1st. It's not really Abreu's fault as I'm sure he along with everyone else is watching the flight of the ball. You don't really expect your team mate to be right there as you look down to touch 1st base then turn towards second. It just happens so rarely it's not in the forefront of your mind to make sure you don't pass a base runner when you're looking at the flight of the ball then looking down to make sure you step on 1st base.

Also with Moncada on 3rd you don't risk tagging up if it's caught because he might be tagged out at 2nd before Moncada crosses the plate and then you get no runs.

I know Abreu took the blame but it's all really Tim's fault.

If Renteria hasn't explained to the team why you don't tag up from 1st with a runner on 3rd and 1 out then shame on him. I will be happy to explain it to them next time they come to Anaheim.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
added last paragraph
  • Love 1