Eloy Jimenez injury

Balta1701

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I have a hard time believing that half the posters on this site are actual Sox fans. It’s gotta be Cubs fans trolling us.

It was a pretty active and exciting offseason for the Sox (results aside), which led to a lot of new posters. And just from a sheer numbers standpoint, a lot of those posters will be shit posters. As tends to happen with these things, they will eventually fade away. 

20 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

I know he's young and all, but I want the Sox to start having him make the transition to either first base or DH now. He is way too important to this rebuild to risk him having a severe injury of some kind. Just let him focus on hitting.

He's in a new league in parks that are all new to him.  He's got time to get better. Will never be great out there but he can be adequate.Having said that, if some of our minor league outfielders push for positions in the corners like Basabe, Rutherford, Adolfo ,Gonzales,and Walker  Eloy will be moved. Until that time comes he's our left fielder.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
added Adolfo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jack, I’m met you brother, you’re good peoples.  We all let ourselves fall victim to the failures of this ownership group & front office at times.  That being said, you have been fairly positive around here this year and it’s been much needed after this offseason’s failures broke many of us here.

I guess if you had your expectations set properly it isn't as disappointing. I wasn't upset about the fact they didn't sign Machado, because I never really expected them to guarantee him 300M anyway, but the fact they had those bullshit options and that is why they blundered him away was beyond infuriating. That meant they might have been willing to guarantee him the dollars but they got too cute with the options. I truly believe Hahn and Kenny outsmarted themselves. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I have been surprised by the harsh critique of Eloy's defense.  Before 1973 when the DH came into being, the left fielder on every team was the worst defensive player. Many of those players made every catch an adventure.  I was expecting Eloy to be one of those guys.  I've been pleasantly   surprised that he was as good a he's been.  He's not going to make newsreel plays, but for the most part he has played adequately.  We want every player to play All Star defense but just about all teams who prioritize offense will bury those hitters at DH, 1st. base & LF.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I have been surprised by the harsh critique of Eloy's defense.  Before 1973 when the DH came into being, the left fielder on every team was the worst defensive player. Many of those players made every catch an adventure.  I was expecting Eloy to be one of those guys.  I've been pleasantly   surprised that he was as good a he's been.  He's not going to make newsreel plays, but for the most part he has played adequately.  We want every player to play All Star defense but just about all teams who prioritize offense will bury those hitters at DH, 1st. base & LF.

Last I checked, he was the 3rd worst defensive player in baseball.  He looks like he’s never tracked a fly ball in his life. Worst of all, he looks like an injury waiting to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Last I checked, he was the 3rd worst defensive player in baseball.  He looks like he’s never tracked a fly ball in his life.

Worst of all, he looks like an injury waiting to happen.

The 2nd part is key. He's so bad out there he's already gotten himself injured twice in 4 weeks, both attempting to rob a fly ball that was a no doubt HR. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Yep. I'm not sure that anyone is calling him a bust at this point. 

It's fair to criticize the Sox giving this dude a big extension when he never faced a pitch in the Show before. He is looking more and more like a DH with each passing day.

Lol bro you are the one who made the most negative posts.. about him - saying "he has sucked so far" among other things.

For one thing I don't agree as I've seen some signs of being able to him at the MLB level... though his defense has been poor.

Just the statement "sucked so far" in and of itself screams ignorance.  It's way too early to know anything or make a series of negative posts about what a player "really is."

Even as bad has his defense has been it's too early to give up on that part as well.

Edited by harkness99
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Gonna be about a month or so. When he returns, just stick him at DH and go from there.

Agreed.  He provides negative value on the defensive side and it only makes him a high risk to get injured and lose his bat from the lineup.  It’s not worth the gamble.

Calling it right now, he goes on the IL and comes back and immediately goes on a tear. Book it. Dude signed a huge contract, realized his dream and lost his Grandma in a short period of time. He will be back stronger than ever before.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Gonna be about a month or so. When he returns, just stick him at DH and go from there.

While I agree in principle, Alonso's 9M batting .188 is going to make that difficult. Maybe if Abreu continues to rake they'll finally move him, and at that point they can move Eloy to DH. Still, I don't think they're going to move Eloy to DH until they're absolutely sure he can't hack it out there, so 2021.  2019 doesn't really matter so they can afford to send him out there as long as he knows the difference between a no-doubter and a catchable fly ball. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

My take is that if he can't play outfield then we've wasted a lot of money on him. You have to keep running him out there.

HIs best position is batters box, and it always will be. His value is getting 650 PAs every year. DH or 1B. 

Just now, flavum said:

HIs best position is batters box, and it always will be. His value is getting 650 PAs every year. DH or 1B. 

The difference between him being a bad-but-not-worst defensive outfielder and a DH is pretty big in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

The difference between him being a bad-but-not-worst defensive outfielder and a DH is pretty big in my eyes.

His issue is he's so bad out there he's injuring himself. That is no bueno. JD Martinez is a DH primarily and he's more competent in LF than Eloy is. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

His issue is he's so bad out there he's injuring himself. That is no bueno

Going to have to develop the player unfortunately. If he can't run around the outfield without getting hurt then I have my doubts about his long-term health anywhere else.

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Going to have to develop the player unfortunately. If he can't run around the outfield without getting hurt then I have my doubts about his long-term health anywhere else.

I wrote in the game thread move him to 1B, but I agree with you. If Collins has to move to 1b, and it looks more and more like Vaugn is the Sox pick, somehow, some way, Eloy is going to have to learn how to play a passable LF. I had heard he wasn't very good with the glove, but he looks lost out there.