UNVERIFIED: Eloy Jimenez Expected to Miss At Least 6 Weeks

KnightsOnMintSt

If he’s staying in LF, he needs to have “Eloy Rules”... no planting your foot into any walls or fences...no diving near walls...no jumping into stands. He needs his own prevent defense, or he can’t be there anymore. Everything else- the routine stuff, yes he could work on and get better. But bottom line, it’s about the team and putting the best team on the field that eventually wins 90+. If that makes him a DH or 1b at 25, oh well

Edited by flavum

2 hours ago, Moncada said:

Doesn't look like someone that is gonna be out 6 weeks 

I saw this video last night, he was on bended knee keeping weight off the ankle. Don't see how one can infer anything for this given the circumstances.

• Like 1

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

I saw this video last night, he was on bended knee keeping weight off the ankle. Don't see how one can infer anything for this given the circumstances.

the baseball equivalent of a guy shooting jumpers in an empty gym.  I mean, he's alive so that's good.  Not much more to take from it.

On 4/29/2019 at 7:08 PM, bmags said:

Sox should just put him in a cryogenic freezer for a few years. Best way to preserve value. 

Great post. Sometimes I think that's what our fans want us to do with our prospects, never call them up. There's so much concern about "rushing guys" that pisses me off, ever since Gordo Beckham.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Great post. Sometimes I think that's what our fans want us to do with our prospects, never call them up. There's so much concern about "rushing guys" that pisses me off, ever since Gordo Beckham.

I would love to bring Robert and Madrigal up as early as possible.  Add a couple of additional coaches on the major league team in order to have one on  one tutoring.  If the big league has the organizations best coaches it makes sense our most prized resources train with them.

He'll 

18 hours ago, greg775 said:

This is about a worst case scenario, him getting hurt already. Oh well, probably best to just shut up and forget about him for 6 weeks. Hopefully that was a fluke injury and he'll be healthy the rest of his career.

He'll be fine as long as they concede his contributions will be strictly offensive.

Again, you don't get a 5-tool regular position player and a potential ace for Quintana.

Frankly, I'm shocked the Sox got what they did.

Edited by GradMc

Stinks Eloy is hurt already and looks terrible defensively. On the positive note, this gives the Sox a chance to look at and evaluate other players(guys like Cordel,Engel, Delmonico), and gives these players a chance to step up and help the team win now and after Eloy returns.

I never followed the optimism on him so I had no per-conceived notions about his abilities.  But when I saw him in LF early in the season, it was obvious (to me anyway) that he has zero business being in the outfield.  There is not an ounce of gracefulness in the way he moves.  Unfortunately, that is something that cannot be taught.

3 hours ago, JoeBatadatz said:

I never followed the optimism on him so I had no per-conceived notions about his abilities.  But when I saw him in LF early in the season, it was obvious (to me anyway) that he has zero business being in the outfield.  There is not an ounce of gracefulness in the way he moves.  Unfortunately, that is something that cannot be taught.

I know. He makes Palka look like a ballet dancer. LOL It's one thing not to have great reads, or take good routes, but he just looks clumsy. He's just not very athletic. Maybe, we're just spoiled, watching guys like Moncada and Anderson, but Eloy just screams "first baseman"

Edited by Lillian

3 hours ago, JoeBatadatz said:

I agree with you that Jimenez doesn't have gracefulness as an outfielder.  He can learn to be serviceable and I think he will.   As long as Abreu and Alonso are on this team Jimenez will be in left field.

Just now, poppysox said:

I agree with you that Jimenez doesn't have gracefulness as an outfielder.  He can learn to be serviceable and I think he will.   As long as Abreu and Alonso are on this team Jimenez will be in left field.

Unfortunately, first base is already crowded and if the Sox select Vaughn, it won't get any less crowded. 

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Unfortunately, first base is already crowded and if the Sox select Vaughn, it won't get any less crowded. 

Five tool players like Moncada, Anderson & Roberts spoil it for all the mere mortals. Guys like McCann & Madrigal are obviously good players who have natural positions. Players like Abreu & Jimenez are considered stars for their hitting both for both average and power.  This last type of guy needs to find and be tutored in a position he can be adequate playing.  Who wouldn't prefer the players to come from the first two groups...I know I would.  I don't like the Vaughn talk for just this reason.  DH can be filled rotating through the everyday players giving them a chance for a DH day once per week.  Keep everybody fresh.