AND THAT IS A 3RD STRAIGHT WHITE SOX WINNER!

Greg Hibbard

When they play like this they are very watchable.  Abreu hitting the ball really hard lately.  The bunt by Engle contributed and was good to see.  Banuelos reminds me of Q.  He and McCann could be the answer of does Hahn know what he's doing.  Just saying...

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

When they play like this they are very watchable.  Abreu hitting the ball really hard lately.  The bunt by Engle contributed and was good to see.  Banuelos reminds me of Q.  He and McCann could be the answer of does Hahn know what he's doing.  Just saying...

I was thinking the same thing. As frustrating as Alonso and nova have been, McCann, Manny B and colome all look like great moves. Manny has the pedigree... a diamond in the rough will go a long way towards a quicker rebuild 

7 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This team can score some runs. If they get the starting pitching thing figured out, they might win more games than I thought this year.

If I heard Jason Benetti right last night, Sox ranked 7th in the league for scoring runs.

9 minutes ago, Melton1972 said:

If I heard Jason Benetti right last night, Sox ranked 7th in the league for scoring runs.

Runs per game, looks like they are 5th in AL and 13th in MLB. So far a big improvement from last year when they were 24th in MLB. Last time the Sox finished a season 13th or better was back in 2012 when they were 7th.

Banuelos looked good.  The comparison to Quintana isn't far off as least at first glance.  The most important thing about the start was that he looked confident and relaxed.  Even when the defense committed TWO errors on the same play, he kept his demeanor and bailed his team out.

I jokingly said before the season started that McCann would outperform Castillo.  I know it's still early, but he's looked pretty good both at the plate and behind the plate.  He's obviously not going to bat .340 all year, but he's certainly trending to be better (much better) than his career average.

After a very slow start, Abreu looks really good.  He's hitting the ball hard, and the ball is often falling for a base hit.  He's raised his batting average a hundred points over the last week or so.  It's not a stretch to assume he'll end up near his career average.

Nice win against a bad team.  The Sox have struggled over the past few years when they play bad teams.  They seem to sometimes play down to the competition.  They did that in Baltimore last week.  So far on this home stand they're playing like they should against these bad teams.

9 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Just saw on twitter, last year when the Sox won their 12th game, they were 18 games under 500.

They had that absolute quicksand couple of weeks in april where it seemed they lost every game (add to that, some injuries).

Schedule has been very favorable to sox, but the highs that will come down a bit from Anderson/Moncada (though I don't think Moncada will be much different, probably just degrees less) will be met by some resurgence from some unlikely-bad starts from others.

McCann will probably have a rough month soon. His production against RHP is outta nowhere.

What would a Juan Soto type surge from Luis Robert do for this team this year? They could potentially win 80 games if that happened, assuming relative good health from the rest of the roster. We are starting to see this team transition from a 2013 Cubs type roster into a 2014 Cubs type roster. With a big offseason in another 7-9 months, this team may very well contend for the division title in 2020 like the Cubs did in 2015.

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Banuelos looked good.  The comparison to Quintana isn't far off as least at first glance.  The most important thing about the start was that he looked confident and relaxed.  Even when the defense committed TWO errors on the same play, he kept his demeanor and bailed his team out.

I jokingly said before the season started that McCann would outperform Castillo.  I know it's still early, but he's looked pretty good both at the plate and behind the plate.  He's obviously not going to bat .340 all year, but he's certainly trending to be better (much better) than his career average.

After a very slow start, Abreu looks really good.  He's hitting the ball hard, and the ball is often falling for a base hit.  He's raised his batting average a hundred points over the last week or so.  It's not a stretch to assume he'll end up near his career average.

Nice win against a bad team.  The Sox have struggled over the past few years when they play bad teams.  They seem to sometimes play down to the competition.  They did that in Baltimore last week.  So far on this home stand they're playing like they should against these bad teams.

For all those who complain about adding washed up wets and who also complained about picking up McCann you're point about him is well taken. Hahn could've went with a veteran catcher and most of the FA catchers who were going to be cheap 1 year acquisitions were anywhere from 30-36 years old.

I made the point when we acquired him that at least he was the youngest catcher of the group and often catchers develop hitting skills late which made him a much better choice than the vets. It didn't guarantee that he would have a good season but he was close to the best choice. He is solid defensively and the Sox definitely needed that and so far the hitting has been stellar. He's likely to regress to career norms but he might put up a career year also.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

rWhat would a Juan Soto type surge from Luis Robert do for this team this year? They could potentially win 80 games if that happened, assuming relative good health from the rest of the roster. We are starting to see this team transition from a 2013 Cubs type roster into a 2014 Cubs type roster. With a big offseason in another 7-9 months, this team may very well contend for the division title in 2020 like the Cubs did in 2015.

IMO this is a very likely occurrence.   Starting rotation will improve tremendously with Cease / Kopech additions.  I'm very optimistic.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

For all those who complain about adding washed up wets and who also complained about picking up McCann you're point about him is well taken. Hahn could've went with a veteran catcher and most of the FA catchers who were going to be cheap 1 year acquisitions were anywhere from 30-36 years old.

I made the point when we acquired him that at least he was the youngest catcher of the group and often catchers develop hitting skills late which made him a much better choice than the vets. It didn't guarantee that he would have a good season but he was close to the best choice. He is solid defensively and the Sox definitely needed that and so far the hitting has been stellar. He's likely to regress to career norms but he might put up a career year also.

He is definitely making the case to be an upgrade over Narvaez, especially if he is going to continue hitting like this.

And how valuable Narvaez was to net us those bullpen guys. Hahn may have redeemed himself a bit here with these moves.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

IMO this is a very likely occurrence.   Starting rotation will improve tremendously with Cease / Kopech additions.  I'm very optimistic.

Think we still need that Lester type signature signing for the top of the rotation. Cole would be the obvious choice but I doubt Jerry signs off on that type of contract unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

He is definitely making the case to be an upgrade over Narvaez, especially if he is going to continue hitting like this.

And how valuable Narvaez was to net us those bullpen guys. Hahn may have redeemed himself a bit here with these moves.

What is the Sox record when McCann starts at catcher? Don’t have time to look this up.

17 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What would a Juan Soto type surge from Luis Robert do for this team this year? They could potentially win 80 games if that happened, assuming relative good health from the rest of the roster. We are starting to see this team transition from a 2013 Cubs type roster into a 2014 Cubs type roster. With a big offseason in another 7-9 months, this team may very well contend for the division title in 2020 like the Cubs did in 2015.

It would help but pitching is obviously this biggest red flag. We are playing 2 starters+ 2 relievers away from being a playoff team with a healthy Eloy in the lineup. Offense is good enough.