AND THAT IS A 3RD STRAIGHT WHITE SOX WINNER!

Greg Hibbard

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I meant with Eloy in the lineup. Him missing 4-6 weeks is going to keep them from winning 80 games imo. They'll win 72-77. 

Hoping Basabe has a big month and we can give him a trial by the time June rolls around.  

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What would a Juan Soto type surge from Luis Robert do for this team this year? They could potentially win 80 games if that happened, assuming relative good health from the rest of the roster. We are starting to see this team transition from a 2013 Cubs type roster into a 2014 Cubs type roster. With a big offseason in another 7-9 months, this team may very well contend for the division title in 2020 like the Cubs did in 2015.

The Cubs made it all the way to the NLCS in 2015. They did much more than just contend for a division title. The two rebuilds do not compare.

What big free agents are out there that are in the Sox budget? 

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

The Cubs made it all the way to the NLCS in 2015. They did much more than just contend for a division title. The two rebuilds do not compare.

Sure, but just get in and anything can happen (even as a wildcard which they were).

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Competing for a division is competing for a World Series. The two are no different. 

• Like 1

What was the deal with Garcia yesterday?  He made two very lazy plays in a row on fly balls to the outfield.  On the first one (the Davis pop-up that led to him getting caught between 1st and 2nd), Garcia looked like he completely gave up well before the ball was going to drop.  The second one looked like he just didn't see it.

14 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

What was the deal with Garcia yesterday?  He made two very lazy plays in a row on fly balls to the outfield.  On the first one (the Davis pop-up that led to him getting caught between 1st and 2nd), Garcia looked like he completely gave up well before the ball was going to drop.  The second one looked like he just didn't see it.

Just not a natural OF and gets bad reads and jumps.  It looks lazy but it's just not being confident that with a runner on he can catch it and not let it get by him for a triple.

Watching the team beat bad teams and be competitive so far this  year really just pisses me off more they didn't get Manny.  As so many said with manny this team has a puncher's chance at competing for a playoff spot.  Without him they will be closer to 75 wins than 85.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Just not a natural OF and gets bad reads and jumps.  It looks lazy but it's just not being confident that with a runner on he can catch it and not let it get by him for a triple.

Watching the team beat bad teams and be competitive so far this  year really just pisses me off more they didn't get Manny.  As so many said with manny this team has a puncher's chance at competing for a playoff spot.  Without him they will be closer to 75 wins than 85.

Machado alone does not amount to a 10 win differential.

Maybe this team ain't as bad as the doom and gloom posters think? Got 4 guys close or at 20 or more this. That's not bad. Herrera, Colome and now Frye starting to look good. If only Ruiz could figure it out we got some good arms in the pen. 

2 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Maybe this team ain't as bad as the doom and gloom posters think? Got 4 guys close or at 20 or more this. That's not bad. Herrera, Colome and now Frye starting to look good. If only Ruiz could figure it out we got some good arms in the pen. 

They play a lot of really bad teams, so they might be better than thought. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They play a lot of really bad teams, so they might be better than thought. 

True but we couldn't even beat the bad ones. There's still ways to travel bit the team seems to have better life to it

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Machado alone does not amount to a 10 win differential.

Well duh.  But he is worth about 5 wins over yolmer.  My point was true talent 75 win teams rarely if ever get to 85-88 but 80 win true talent clubs occasionally do.

The Sox aren't awful anymore they are just mediocre.  The window is opening.

Just now, mqr said:

Unless Manny has a mean fastball/slider combo, they're record is probably about the same as it would be with him. 

I dont' know, it would have removed some bad Yolmer errors. And even though Moncada looks promising at 3rd, Machado >>>> Moncada there.

But yeah it's not a playoff team, though, man, what a trash division.

20 minutes ago, mqr said:

So at the end of the first month, the sox are more or less where I'd hoped they'd be minus a a handful. Really only whiffed on how solid I thought the bullpen was. 

The bullpen can still be solid. Fry, Herrera and Colome are solid, the rest, not so much. The big thing is weeding out bad arms that have no future. I think Ruiz can gtfo already. 

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

True but we couldn't even beat the bad ones. There's still ways to travel bit the team seems to have better life to it

Yep. It's nice to see the Sox playing better but they are beating up on garbage teams. The Rays and Mariners made the Sox look like a AAAA team and I figure Boston will do the same here very soon. 

Just now, bmags said:

I dont' know, it would have removed some bad Yolmer errors. And even though Moncada looks promising at 3rd, Machado >>>> Moncada there.

But yeah it's not a playoff team, though, man, what a trash division.

They're clearly the 3rd best team in the division. They are clearly a notch below the Twins and Indians, and clearly better than the Tigers and Royals 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The bullpen can still be solid. Fry, Herrera and Colome are solid, the rest, not so much. The big thing is weeding out bad arms that have no future. I think Ruiz can gtfo already. 

If you're trying to get rid of guys with no future, then focus on Covey/Osich types and not actual prospects who throw 99 with movement 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

If you're trying to get rid of guys with no future, then focus on Covey/Osich types and not actual prospects who throw 99 with movement 

Ruiz sucks. He has 99 and nothing else. They don't have to DFA him, but he needs time in Charlotte to develop a quality breaker. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ruiz sucks. He has 99 and nothing else. They don't have to DFA him, but he needs time in Charlotte to develop a quality breaker. 

He does need time in Charlotte, but he isn't in the same group as the other two I listed since he actually has a high ceiling 

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well duh.  But he is worth about 5 wins over yolmer.  My point was true talent 75 win teams rarely if ever get to 85-88 but 80 win true talent clubs occasionally do.

I’m not sure that .235 BA and 93 wRC+ would be such a huge upgrade over Sanchez/Rondon. Defensively I guess but I don’t see that as the difference of more than a few wins.

15 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Yep. It's nice to see the Sox playing better but they are beating up on garbage teams. The Rays and Mariners made the Sox look like a AAAA team and I figure Boston will do the same here very soon. 

Rays and Mariners beat up on the entire league the first two weeks of the season.

Sox took 2/3 in NY and split in Cleveland.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

He does need time in Charlotte, but he isn't in the same group as the other two I listed since he actually has a high ceiling 

I completely agree, I just don't think Ruiz is ready for the Bigs. He gets lit every time he's out there. 

Osich and Covey are definitely dead weight 

20 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yolmer is project for 1.2 fWAR and Machado is projected for 4.3 so this isn't quite true. Machado being 5 wins better requires Machado be at his best or Yolmer be at his worst.

Edited by mqr