Luis Robert, others Promoted

soxfan49

I think Omar has a good enough relationship with the players to make it work, but I wonder how the CF time will be doled out. Obviously Robert is the priority but all 4 of those guys would benefit from getting to show they can still play CF. All 3 Luis's have been described as legit future CF defensively. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If Robert hits, the White Sox have no made-up excuse.

Eloy isn't a great base runner or defender so they could, incorrectly, hide behind him needing more work there.

Robert is a great defender and base runner, so if he's hitting with an OPS north of 1000, there's really no excuse for him not to be ready.

The fact that he is 350 pro at bats is a pretty good reason to not rush him to the big leagues, IMO. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

Do you guys really think there's a chance he could be in Chicago this season?

Because the white Sox are likely looking at 2020 as their first year of legitimately contending for a playoff spot, I do think they promote him if he continues to rake so he can take his MLB lumps this year and be ready to produce from the get go next season. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

The fact that he is 350 pro at bats is a pretty good reason to not rush him to the big leagues, IMO. 

Not for a kid who has played on a professional circuit before though. 

He's played at an elite international level as well. 

He's not your typical college/high school prospect because of that. 

6 minutes ago, Flythesock said:

Because the white Sox are likely looking at 2020 as their first year of legitimately contending for a playoff spot, I do think they promote him if he continues to rake so he can take his MLB lumps this year and be ready to produce from the get go next season. 

Agreed, we may not see next year as the year to things turn on, but I bet the Sox do. 

Edited by mqr

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not for a kid who has played on a professional circuit before though. 

He's played at an elite international level as well. 

He's not your typical college/high school prospect because of that. 

I mean if the guy hits .450 in AA, you bring him up.  If he takes a step back, does well, but isn't lighting the world on fire like he did A+, I don't see the point in pushing him to the big leagues this season.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean if the guy hits .450 in AA, you bring him up.  If he takes a step back, does well, but isn't lighting the world on fire like he did A+, I don't see the point in pushing him to the big leagues this season.  

What is your cut off. If he's putting up a 900+ ops in that park and that league, that's pretty damn impressive and would still warrant a promotion imo.

3 hours ago, mqr said:

Please, please, please keep torching baseballs and not hit the birmingham brick wall. 

We've entered the Robert to Chicago in '19 realm of possibility.

If he keeps it up it will be probability.  Can't wait.

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Can we just get rid of Birmingham? It's where hitters go to die. 

Bad hitters yes. Tim Anderson hit .312 in Birmingham. Eloy hit .326 with over .900 OPS. 

It's a big challenge but it doesn't ruin hitters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Bad hitters yes. Tim Anderson hit .312 in Birmingham. Eloy hit .326 with over .900 OPS. 

It's a big challenge but it doesn't ruin hitters.

Yeah, I'm perfectly content with weeding guys out this way. It's probably on the Sox too though that more guys don't get over the hump

Just now, mqr said:

Yeah, I'm perfectly content with weeding guys out this way. It's probably on the Sox too though that more guys don't get over the hump

A guy like Tiquan Forbes is a good example. His power will be sapped in Birmingham (he already isn't a power guy), but since arriving he has greatly improved his walk rate while only moderately increasing his k-rate.

That's success in birmingham, and if he keeps that up you promote him and see if power arrives with an easier park and MLB ball in AAA.

There's no reason a tougher park for power means you need to start striking out at a 40% clip. That's just better pitching and players.

Then you have someone like Mendick. His numbers weren't great but he survived, still hit double-digit homers, and showed that he has moderate but real power that may make him a useful utility guy in the bigs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It is absolutely incredible and a huge testament to TA that he managed to develop within the Sox' bottom tier coaching system.

To be fair...Yoan was with us a year before he blossomed.  Maybe our coaches are better than Boston's.  With so many young guys coming up...I would like Sox management to add a couple of extra coaches at the major league level.  We do and will have an unusual number of talented but inexperienced players.  Extra one on one coaching is cheap and might be helpful if management is encouraging faster paced promotion.

Just now, poppysox said:

To be fair...Yoan was with us a year before he blossomed.  Maybe our coaches are better than Boston's.  With so many young guys coming up...I would like Sox management to add a couple of extra coaches at the major league level.  We do and will have an unusual number of talented but inexperienced players.  Extra one on one coaching is cheap and might be helpful if management is encouraging faster paced promotion.

On a related note: thank god the Red Sox insisted that Devers was off limits.  He's hardly produced at all in a much better situation with much less pressure.  Still very young at only his age 22 season but he's looking closer to a 3-4 WAR player at best and will probably settle in around 2-3 without a power surge, which could happen.  But I can't see him developing in Chicago.  Moncada was mostly a formed product approach and swing wise, defense needs work and I do feel the Sox set him back asking him to move but whatever, he's hitting and he is making enough plays at 3B for now.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

😂😂😂

• Love 2

Robert  has already demonstrated  transcendent talent.  He is an exception to the standard practice of promoting minor league players one level at a time.

Adam Engel hit .218 in 165 AB at AAA Charlotte in 2017.   He's hitting .171 now after 41 ABs with 17 SOs.    I don't see how it makes sense to have Engel on the big league club and Luis Robert playing in the minors.   Robert can develop at the major league level, just like TA and Moncada did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What is your cut off. If he's putting up a 900+ ops in that park and that league, that's pretty damn impressive and would still warrant a promotion imo.

I dont have a cutoff.  If he's raking and staying healthy through June, I am ok challenging him.  But I don't think rushing Robert to the big leagues to satisfy impatient fans is a good strategy.  The guy has played very little baseball over the past 3 years.  He just needs to stay healthy and get his reps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tray said:

Robert  has already demonstrated  transcendent talent.  He is an exception to the standard practice of promoting minor league players one level at a time.

Adam Engel hit .218 in 165 AB at AAA Charlotte in 2017.   He's hitting .171 now after 41 ABs with 17 SOs.    I don't see how it makes sense to have Engel on the big league club and Luis Robert playing in the minors.   Robert can develop at the major league level, just like TA and Moncada did.

Tim Anderson had 1,372 minor league at bats.

Yoan Moncada, while definitely rushed by the Red Sox, and probably brought up half a season too early by the White Sox, had 1,020 minor league bats.

Luis Robert has 345 minor league at bats.  If he plays the rest of the season in minors and the first month next season (and stays healthy), he'll still be well behind TA and Yoan.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Tim Anderson had 1,372 minor league at bats.

Yoan Moncada, while definitely rushed by the Red Sox, and probably brought up half a season too early by the White Sox, had 1,020 minor league bats.

Luis Robert as 345 at bats.  If he plays the rest of the season in minors and the first month next season (and stays healthy), he'll still be well behind TA and Yoan.  

There isn't some set AB threshold a guy needs to hit to be considered ready. Some guys are there faster. Soto had < 500 at bats. Acuna < 900. Some guys need 2000 at-bats. Robert is absolutely the type of talent that could kill the minors and not need to rack up a thousand at-bats. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zisk said:

Tim is signed to a cheap contract, is young and his having a break out year. What is he worth on the trade market?

A shit load.  And he isn't going anywhere.  

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

There isn't some set AB threshold a guy needs to hit to be considered ready. Some guys are there faster. Soto had < 500 at bats. Acuna < 900. Some guys need 2000 at-bats. Robert is absolutely the type of talent that could kill the minors and not need to rack up a thousand at-bats. 

I am not suggesting he get 1,000 at bats.  He spend the rest of this season and the first month or so of next season, he'd maybe get another 450 at bats or so IF (a big if) he stays healthy.  He'd still be well shy of 1,000 at bats.  Obviously that is not a cut off, and Robert is probably the best CF option in the organization, but rushing him to the big leagues just seems so short sighted.  Just let him excel his way up the minor league system.  WTF is the rush?