Do you look at Jose Abreu at "32" the same way you looked at Paul Konerko at 34?

Greg Hibbard

8 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Yep. Paulie helped bring a World Series Championshipto the South Side and a monument outside the Stadium. The Sox have never been good with Jose on the team. That isn't all on Jose but everyone remembers a winner and flags fly forever. 

I agree.  Paulie had a lot more capital built up...on several really good teams, 2 playoff teams and a world champion.

22 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Honestly no one is going to give up much for him.

Maybe they would be more willing to pay for him now that there's no financial commitment past this season. I think that the future commitment was holding his value down. He might be  a guy that is worth more as a rental than under team control. 

43 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You are right. Eloy blows in left so he's the DH now; Abreu is moderately lousy at first so he's a DH; Yonder Alonso is a DH; Avi was our DH cause he stunk in right; Burger is gonna be DH cause he's chubby and not a great fielder and we already have a 3B; Collins is gonna be a DH. So many Dhs.

This is just an uneducated opinion.

He was the top defensive third baseman in the country and won a collegiate Gold Glove.

Now, we don't know how he is post-injury, but body size isn't indicative of his fielding ability.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

I don't despise you. I'm team Greg, despite our differing opinions on Abreu

I also like reading your views. I appreciate your passion even if I don’t always reach the same conclusion as you do. Plus life would be boring if we all always agreed on things.

Edited by Colinski
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, greg775 said:

You are right. Eloy blows in left so he's the DH now; Abreu is moderately lousy at first so he's a DH; Yonder Alonso is a DH; Avi was our DH cause he stunk in right; Burger is gonna be DH cause he's chubby and not a great fielder and we already have a 3B; Collins is gonna be a DH. So many Dhs.

Time for baseball to go the way of football and have a separate offence and defense.

• Like 1

Let the record show that Statcast pegs Abreu's xwOBA at the highest of his career so far this year* and the quality of his contact in particular thus far is easily the best he's ever had.

*which excludes his rookie season as it was pre-Statcast

Paulie was the face of the franchise. And has an immortal "fist-in-the-air" statue on the concourse. And has a World Series ring. Abreu is a fine player at a position that is oversaturated. He has ROY and a Silver Slugger on terrible teams.

TL;DR: Konerko will live in our hearts forever. Abreu will be an afterthought. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dohnut said:

Paulie was the face of the franchise. And has an immortal "fist-in-the-air" statue on the concourse. And has a World Series ring. Abreu is a fine player at a position that is oversaturated. He has ROY and a Silver Slugger on terrible teams.

TL;DR: Konerko will live in our hearts forever. Abreu will be an afterthought. 

Harsh but true.

Abreu is a free agent at the end of this season. I can't help but wonder if he takes a look at this dismal situation and decides to sign with another team in the off season. I couldn't blame him if he wanted to go somewhere where they have a chance to go to the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Abreu is a free agent at the end of this season. I can't help but wonder if he takes a look at this dismal situation and decides to sign with another team in the off season. I couldn't blame him if he wanted to go somewhere where they have a chance to go to the playoffs.

My guess is he's traded by July 31.  The log jam of potential 1st basemen / DH has to be broken up sometime.  Might as well be now while we can get a useful piece in return.

You don't pick your team mates and that's not Jose's fault. One thing I've always wanted to say is Konerko was maybe the worst base runner the

Sox ever had besides Spanky Lavalleire. He was also a pretty terrible 1st baseman too. He had good hands but if it wasn't hit right at him, he wouldn't

make the play. Check out his defensive WAR on baseball reference some time. Still,  the man had some huge hits for us and won a ring.

Edited by zisk
add

If the Sox decide to move on from Abreu, good luck finding a bat, which can compare. His long term track record and current performance is going to be very difficult to replace. Yes, Eloy, Burger, Alonso and probably our first selection in this year's Draft may all end up being 1ST basemen, DH types, but it's not likely that any of them will produce like Pito, with the exception of Eloy and it's way too early to make that assumption.

Unless the Sox intend to sign another free agent hitter, I'd rather see them try to sign him to an extension, for another 2 or 3 years. He seems to taking good care of his body and is in better shape now, than he was when he signed with the Sox. The issue of whether, or not he is actually his reported age, is one about which I couldn't begin to opine. I think that we have to assume that he is the age he claims to be, unless it is proven otherwise. It shouldn't be that hard to verify his birth date.

19 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox decide to move on from Abreu, good luck finding a bat, which can compare. His long term track record and current performance is going to be very difficult to replace. Yes, Eloy, Burger, Alonso and probably our first selection in this year's Draft may all end up being 1ST basemen, DH types, but it's not likely that any of them will produce like Pito, with the exception of Eloy and it's way too early to make that assumption.

Unless the Sox intend to sign another free agent hitter, I'd rather see them try to sign him to an extension, for another 2 or 3 years. He seems to taking good care of his body and is in better shape now, than he was when he signed with the Sox. The issue of whether, or not he is actually his reported age, is one about which I couldn't begin to opine. I think that we have to assume that he is the age he claims to be, unless it is proven otherwise. It shouldn't be that hard to verify his birth date.

Keep in mind that Hahn gave a 34 year old Adam LaRoche a 2 year $24 million dollar contract. Why not give a 32 year old  Abreu the same 2 year contract?

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox decide to move on from Abreu, good luck finding a bat, which can compare. His long term track record and current performance is going to be very difficult to replace.

Great post. The grass is ALWAYS greener when it comes to White Sox veterans who have been White Sox a long time. We don't show 'em much love around these parts. There's always somebody better out there.

5 hours ago, Lillian said:

Have to agree here. Pitching is without a doubt a disaster now. Abreu is still the best hitter on the team. Might move him if you can get something good for him but the definition of good seems to be a top 100 prospect around here and maybe not even that. Maybe the Sox can get a major leaguer for him from someone who has some depth at a position the Sox have a need.

Houston ,Boston , Seattle, Minnesota, Angels, Colorado seem like they need help at 1st .They might still need it come trade deadline.