Do you look at Jose Abreu at "32" the same way you looked at Paul Konerko at 34?

Greg Hibbard

Let's say Abreu is 2 years older than listed (although there's nothing to prove that).

When Konerko hit FA as a 34 year old slow first baseman, did you want to renew him? as it because he had a breakout year in 2010 where he had one of the highest WARs of his career? Did you even think he could possibly replicate that?

Was it simply because "world series"/intangible things?

Did you want him to retire a White Sox, having played almost all of his games here? 

The sentiment with Abreu seems to be much that he's more disposable. Either flip him for value or don't re-sign him. The sentiment seems to be that he MUST be declining, even though we all know he was dinged up last year.

Konerko was a career 27.7 WAR player over 18 seasons. Abreu is a 19.4 over 5+ seasons.

If he has a .850 OPS / 3.0 WAR year, should we keep him?

Btw I'm one of the ones who generally thinks we should NOT keep him but I'm wondering why I felt differently about Konerko in 2010.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

9 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Let's say Abreu is 2 years older than listed (although there's nothing to prove that).

When Konerko hit FA as a 34 year old slow first baseman, did you want to renew him? as it because he had a breakout year in 2010 where he had one of the highest WARs of his career? Did you even think he could possibly replicate that?

Did you want him to retire a White Sox, having played almost all of his games here? 

The sentiment with Abreu seems to be much that he's more disposable. Either flip him for value or don't re-sign him. The sentiment seems to be that he MUST be declining, even though we all know he was dinged up last year.

Konerko was a career 27.7 WAR player over 18 seasons. Abreu is a 19.4 over 5+ seasons.

Btw I'm one of the ones who generally thinks we should NOT keep him but I'm wondering why I felt differently about Konerko in 2010.

Nothing come up in the minors to replace Paulie. Possible logjam of corner infielder/DH types in the near future.

16 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Then lets not say that, because that's a very tired trope. There are American athletes who lie about their age - Shabazz Muhammad, Tom Shaw. 

International athletes who lie about their age tend to be little known prospects try to fib a bit to try and get a better life. Not the premier hitter for the Cuban national team ready for a massive payday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The aging curve was much more forgiving the decade before, so it didn't seem that scary. When you had a bunch of guys in their mid thirties at the top of their game, it's not that big a stretch to see Konerko still there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Yep. Paulie helped bring a World Series Championshipto the South Side and a monument outside the Stadium. The Sox have never been good with Jose on the team. That isn't all on Jose but everyone remembers a winner and flags fly forever. 

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

The aging curve was much more forgiving the decade before, so it didn't seem that scary. When you had a bunch of guys in their mid thirties at the top of their game, it's not that big a stretch to see Konerko still there.

This is the key point for me. Players are peaking earlier than ever and regressing earlier. You don’t see many age 35+ hitters still doing the business. You defo did in early/mid 2000s. 

Its simply I think Abreu will regress quicker. Having said that if he does have a 3 war season I would re-sign him, but more due to a thin free agent market elsewhere. 

Edited by Colinski
  • Like 1

Older hitters are regressing earlier because pitchers are pitching at peak velocity. The average fastball is just under 93 mph and has hovered between 92.5 and 93.1mph over the last few seasons. As a hitter ages, it gets harder to catch up with these fastballs. In 2010 the average fastball was just under 91 mph. Huge difference. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ron883 said:

@greg775 this seems like a topic where you would like to provide input

I was getting around to it. Sometimes I wonder if posters want to hear my opinion if they've heard it before so I try to stifle. Thing is, I never know if anybody reads what I say since I am pretty much despised so it's tough for me to make a call on whether I should post or not.

As far as Abreu, I feel the same way about him as Paulie: In my mind, both are lifetime White Sox. I want to keep Jose all the way til he can't hit anymore. I felt the same way about Paulie. It's not Jose's fault that the team has been abysmal with him on the team. Jose like Paulie has proven himself to me, thus I would never want him to be traded. I want him to retire a White Sox just as I did Paulie. BTW there's nobody else on our team I feel fan loyalty to at this point. That's kind of sad the team is at the point almost everybody has to prove themselves. We used to have a few veterans.

Summary: Paulie A-plus career in my mind; Abreu B-plus career in my mind but I love both equally and do not wanna see Abreu play elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Older hitters are regressing earlier because pitchers are pitching at peak velocity. The average fastball is around just under 93 mph and has hovered between 92.5 and 93.1mph over the last few seasons. As a hitter ages, it gets harder to catch up with these fastballs. In 2010 the average fastball was just under 91 mph. Huge difference. 

That's what I have always thought. You have to be able to hit gas. Guys used to be able to get away with slider speed bats. The one thing Paulie could always do was turnaround major gas. He was hitting .400 and had some issue with his wrist, and then became old fast.

Edited by Dick Allen

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's what I have always thought. You have to be able to hit gas. Guys used to be able to get away with slider speed bats. The one thing Paulie could always do was turnaround major gas. He was hitting .400 and had some issue with his wrist, and then became old fast.

I didn't want to point this out until his numbers partially stabilized, but now his overall numbers look good but against the fastball 2019 Abreu is right on the path of 2018 Abreu. Here's, per 100 pitches, runs created against 4 seam fastballs.

Season     wFB/C

2014     2.55

2015     1.42

2016     1.04

2017     0.95

2018     0.47

2019     0.28

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

I was getting around to it. Sometimes I wonder if posters want to hear my opinion if they've heard it before so I try to stifle. Thing is, I never know if anybody reads what I say since I am pretty much despised so it's tough for me to make a call on whether I should post or not.

As far as Abreu, I feel the same way about him as Paulie: In my mind, both are lifetime White Sox. I want to keep Jose all the way til he can't hit anymore. I felt the same way about Paulie. It's not Jose's fault that the team has been abysmal with him on the team. Jose like Paulie has proven himself to me, thus I would never want him to be traded. I want him to retire a White Sox just as I did Paulie. BTW there's nobody else on our team I feel fan loyalty to at this point. That's kind of sad the team is at the point almost everybody has to prove themselves. We used to have a few veterans.

Summary: Paulie A-plus career in my mind; Abreu B-plus career in my mind but I love both equally and do not wanna see Abreu play elsewhere.

I don't despise you. I'm team Greg, despite our differing opinions on Abreu

Edited by ron883

We sure love having a lot of DH types.  People want Collins to DH and draft Vaughn.  They want Abreu & Jimenez to DH and it would be great to pickup JD Martinez.  I like Abreu and have no problem with a 2 or 3 year extension at a fair rate.  But if that blocks some of these other guys it doesn't make sense.  If at the end of the day we need to trade Abreu I would rather do it a year early rather than a year to late.  FWIW most of us were delighted when Konerko's last couple of years ended.  They were painful to watch and tarnished an otherwise great career.  These guys should not hang on until the fans don't remember the good times.  No one should have a job for as long as they want.  These are multi millionaires and they need to produce to earn these salaries.  Times change.

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

We sure love having a lot of DH types.  People want Collins to DH and draft Vaughn.  They want Abreu & Jimenez to DH and it would be great to pickup JD Martinez.  I like Abreu and have no problem with a 2 or 3 year extension at a fair rate.  But if that blocks some of these other guys it doesn't make sense.  If at the end of the day we need to trade Abreu I would rather do it a year early rather than a year to late.  FWIW most of us were delighted when Konerko's last couple of years ended.  They were painful to watch and tarnished an otherwise great career.  These guys should not hang on until the fans don't remember the good times.  No one should have a job for as long as they want.  These are multi millionaires and they need to produce to earn these salaries.  Times change.

You are right. Eloy blows in left so he's the DH now; Abreu is moderately lousy at first so he's a DH; Yonder Alonso is a DH; Avi was our DH cause he stunk in right; Burger is gonna be DH cause he's chubby and not a great fielder and we already have a 3B; Collins is gonna be a DH. So many Dhs.