4/30 Games - Zangari is Back in Kanny / #ceaseday

bmags

29 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Cease is a hard throwing starter who strikes a ton of guys out. I am actually a bit worried about what Coop may do with him.

I feel ya but I really don’t think it’s a rule that he wants every hard thrower to dial it down for more control.  I think it’s just case by case.  If Cease is locating at 97-98 I wouldn’t worry.  

With Sale he was still fresh and skinny with a crazy motion, had that injury and was also running out of gas at the end of every year.  

Kopech dialing it down a smidge finally helped him get to the majors. 

Giolito is throwing harder again

Lopez throws hard as shit. 

It’s hard to draw a conclusion other than every pitcher is different.  But I will say that our pitching coaches think command and control are the keys to successful, long-term pitching careers. I’m cool with that

Edited by Jerksticks

12 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Waste of a pick. He'll never develop any power. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If he keeps lacing 2B and 3B, it doesn't matter if he hits 5-10 HR per season 

I believe that was sarcasm.

He's still getting there. Big thing was that his entire career was not going to be what the first two months of april is. He'll need to tap into more power, but he's walking a bit more.

I'm not sure he'll tap into the full power until a few years in as he better at identifying what he can drive.

But I will still bank on that when we've heard reports on players with uber baseball IQ like this they tend to do and find what it takes to evolve to the most effective versions of themselves.

2 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I feel ya but I really don’t think it’s a rule that he wants every hard thrower to dial it down for more control.  I think it’s just case by case.  If Cease is locating at 97-98 I wouldn’t worry.  

With Sale he was still fresh and skinny with a crazy motion, had that injury and was also running out of gas at the end of every year.  

It’s hard to draw a conclusion other than every pitcher is different.  But I will say that our pitching coaches think command and control are the keys to successful, long-term pitching careers. I’m cool with that

Rodon is another pitcher who has never seemed to use his velocity to its fullest capabilities. I don't think he even has his elite velocity anymore but even when he did he didn't use upper 90's as he could have.  https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-bartolo-colon-and-chris-sale-have-in-common/ - This article from fangraphs in 2017 shows the top 10 pitchers with the biggest difference in their max velocity and average velocity. The only 3 hard throwing starters the White Sox have had in recent years are on there, Sale, Rodon, and Lopez. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know. That post was for people who don't know how OPS works. 

I know it works better with home runs than doubles.  If he hits 290-310 at the MLB level and goes 300/350/430 with good defense at 2B it won't really matter but that's a long way off.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

38 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I know it works better with home runs than doubles.  If he hits 290-310 at the MLB level and goes 300/350/430 with good defense at 2B it won't really matter but that's a long way off.

He isn't even hitting .280 at A+, when IMO he should be given his track record in college. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

13 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I would love to know why Bush is playing in RF, are they giving up on him at 3B? With him so young I don't think it is smart to take him off of 3B so quickly.

This team is awful at developing players defensively. They wouldn't be able to make a defender out of him most likely. 

11 minutes ago, ron883 said:

He isn't even hitting .280 at A+, when IMO he should be given his track record in college. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

that's what I'm saying.  Madrigal has a high floor, probably 1.5 WAR or so backup.  Well, what's his ceiling?  There's obviously reasons some scouts and publications questioned it.  Frankly until he proves he has an elite hit tool doubles and triples won't mean much in A ball.  He should be pushing for a promotion to AA by July given his draft status, age, and ability.  If he's not, well progress isn't linear or some Hahn'ism.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

May need to bump the OBP projection if he hits .300. Madrigal has been walking more lately. He's at 9 in 98 PA, which still isn't elite, but is notable improvement in that area. His contact rate remains insanely good and it's still just the first month of his first full pro season. He's not polished, but he is showing a profile of a productive player with further improvement. That's every prospect in the minors, otherwise they'd be in the majors or wouldn't be considered a prospect.

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If he keeps lacing 2B and 3B, it doesn't matter if he hits 5-10 HR per season 

I think the good, better and best scenario for Madrigal is something like this;

Good - Kolten Wong
Better - Placido Polanco
Best - Dustin Pedroia

any one of those results would be great.

7 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Cease had 11 Ks on 80 pitches lol.  Insane.

God I'm so amped to see him in Chicago, please stay healthy

8 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Bush adds a double.

He's getting it folks, love it

7 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Man I can't wait to have Cease, Robert, Kopech, Collins, and Madrigal up. Lot to be excited about 

All we have to be excited about

And yanno, TA, Yoan, Jimenez, and Gio and ReyLo

7 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Let's stop picking on Cooper, shall we

3 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I would love to know why Bush is playing in RF, are they giving up on him at 3B? With him so young I don't think it is smart to take him off of 3B so quickly.

Also wondering, home they didn't give up