Marcus Stroman as a trade & extend target (don't laugh)

Jose Abreu

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Blue Jays would prefer to trade their vets, and Stroman and TA are apparently friends now, so what do you think it would take to get him from Toronto?

He's under control through the end of 2020 so we'd probably want to extend him, which should be relatively easy in this climate. He's also looking like a totally different pitcher this season (in a good way). For the next 5 or so years, we'd be looking at:

Kopech

Cease

Stroman

2 of Lopez/Rodon/Giolito/Dunning/Hansen/Lambert etc.

Is Blake Rutherford, Amado Nunez, and Jonathan Stiever too light for ~2 years of him (pre-extension)? If the money will be spent, I figured this would be a semi-realistic target to trade for and extend. 

Edited by Jose Abreu

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yes for a target and yes that package isn’t even close to what it would take.

Agreed.  Rutherford isn’t a headliner in any trade offer.  Being a first round pick is pretty much all he has going for him.

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

5'8 starting pitcher who cant consistently perform or finish a season. Hard pass.

Baseball history books dont have any good 5'8 or less starters.

Jim Parque was 5-11. 

Here we go....good lord.

He's an okay pitcher, not great, with 2 years left on his deal.  "Sign and extend"....we've heard that before and the results are starting for the Oakland As.  Sign as a FA if we like him then.

Edited by GreenSox

31 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Here we go....good lord.

He's an okay pitcher, not great, with 2 years left on his deal.  "Sign and extend"....we've heard that before and the results are starting for the Oakland As.  Sign as a FA if we like him then.

In this new landscape, our only hope of acquiring talent not currently in the organization is to trade and then extend if necessary. The FA crop is absolutely abysmal due to all the extensions, and we sure as hell won't be the high bidder for any of the leftovers. 

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

In this new landscape, our only hope of acquiring talent not currently in the organization is to trade and then extend if necessary. The FA crop is absolutely abysmal due to all the extensions, and we sure as hell won't be the high bidder for any of the leftovers. 

Then trade for young players with more time left on their deal.    Identify players that you can improve.  

Paying market price plus sending prospects is no way to do business.  Sox just aren't that good at regenerating prospects and they don't want to pay market price so they won't extend these guys anyway.

Frazier, Samardzija...they didn't get the Sox anywhere.

Edited by GreenSox

The problem is that Stroman/Sanchez don't have all that much team control left. I don't think it would make much sense to trade for either of them unless they agreed to sign an extension. The Sox will almost certainly have to trade for a pitcher at some point, but I'd aim for one who is under control for longer. I thought Luis Castillo of the Reds would have been a good fit if they wanted to make a move this past offseason but that ship has definitely sailed.

Edited by Whitesox27

Stroman this season in 37 innings has posted a 1.43 ERA, so the Jays asking price may be high although last year was a down year from him. Can he bounce back all season? He is still young and can have many productive seasons, his 28th birthday is today! 

I don't think the cost is crazy high, A rotation of Stroman/Rodon/Cease/Kopech/Lopez(Giolito) could get something done in this division, and I would very much enjoy being that team. I say no reason not to inquire. 

I'd be a lot more confident in that rotation than one that just won a division anchored by...checks notes...Wade Miley?

Edited by mqr

12 hours ago, bmags said:

Man I don't know. Bare minimum I'd say Adolfo, Dunning, Bush could get it close.

That seems like a ton for a pitcher that isn't really that good, and is paid appropriately.  2 years $18-20M left on his deal.  I am not giving up that much.  I am also not a huge Stroman guy.  He's a fine mid to back rotation pitcher with some swagger but he's not that good either.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

That seems like a ton for a pitcher that isn't really that good, and is paid appropriately.  2 years $18-20M left on his deal.  I am not giving up that much.  I am also not a huge Stroman guy.  He's a fine mid to back rotation pitcher with some swagger but he's not that good either.  

It seems to track the Sonny Gray deal. I did not say I would do this trade, I would be more open to Sanchez. But I do think people need to stop being skiddish on adding things with less than 6 years control.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

It seems to track the Sonny Gray deal. I did not say I would do this trade, I would be more open to Sanchez. But I do think people need to stop being skiddish on adding things with less than 6 years control.

6 years is 4x 1.5 years.