ATTENDANCE THREAD 2019

Buehrle>Wood

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

Stop caring about make up game attendance.

Oh, and before the thread devolves to this... they are never moving

Keep in mind that Forbes magazine said a few weeks ago that the White Sox were the 6th most profitable team in MLB in 2018. So you're right, they are not moving. Unfortunately as long as this team remains very profitable, JR is not selling the team.

34 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Keep in mind that Forbes magazine said a few weeks ago that the White Sox were the 6th most profitable team in MLB in 2018. So you're right, they are not moving. Unfortunately as long as this team remains very profitable, JR is not selling the team.

Even if they were losing money, JR would not be selling because of the tax hit that he would have to take given what he paid for it in 1981 and what it is worth today. 

USA Today takes a look at baseball's attendance which is down again overall and they say it is not because of the weather:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/04/30/mlb-attendance-first-month/3626164002/

In the story they don't mention the Sox by the way, who's TV ratings are up according to a story a saw a few days ago.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Even if they were losing money, JR would not be selling because of the tax hit that he would have to take given what he paid for it in 1981 and what it is worth today. 

There are plenty of ways to Dodge the taxman. The tribsters  used a leveraged buyout that allowed to dodge the taxes for 10 years. And the new tax laws have made cap gains a lesser issue than two years ago. 

Plus , Jerry is a tax lawyer. 

Lip

I'd think the Sox have a problem with all the different age groups.

Millennials: We're told they don't like to go out and spend money. True you can get a deal on Sox tickets to get in the park, but do Millennials care enough to play the secondary market game or figure out the nights there are bargains? For the lousy White Sox ... doubtful. Any Millennials on here? Tell us about your age group's philosophy on going to Sox games please.

Over 50 business people: Forget about it. The blue collar of those don't have the money to care enough about getting buddies to go to games. After a hard day's work they would prefer to go home, cook out, watch some big screen TV, drink and chill. The wealthier of the over 50 group don't have 3 plus hours to spend watching bad baseball, oft times in uncomfortable weather (too hot in summer; too cold in April/May). Can any over 50s give me their thoughts on attending games? I'd think the length of game coupled with the cost combined with the fact the Sox stink has made most over 50s pass on the game.

Teenagers and under: I would think kids still would like to go to a game or two with dad or aunt Betty or Uncle Joe, but not more than once or twice a year. There's soccer and other sports and video games and i phones that occupy most of the time. Concessions are pretty expensive for a kid and even aunt Betty or Uncle Joe better bring some Benjamins if they are treating kids to hats, food, drink, jerseys.

I'd think baseball attendance problems are real. I have no idea how teams like the Royals and White Sox, who had less than 1,000 people in the stands for Game One yesterday can be worth billions of dollars. The TV contracts are that good? Wow.

Edited by greg775

54 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'd think the Sox have a problem with all the different age groups.

Millennials: We're told they don't like to go out and spend money. True you can get a deal on Sox tickets to get in the park, but do Millennials care enough to play the secondary market game or figure out the nights there are bargains? For the lousy White Sox ... doubtful. Any Millennials on here? Tell us about your age group's philosophy on going to Sox games please.

Over 50 business people: Forget about it. The blue collar of those don't have the money to care enough about getting buddies to go to games. After a hard day's work they would prefer to go home, cook out, watch some big screen TV, drink and chill. The wealthier of the over 50 group don't have 3 plus hours to spend watching bad baseball, oft times in uncomfortable weather (too hot in summer; too cold in April/May). Can any over 50s give me their thoughts on attending games? I'd think the length of game coupled with the cost combined with the fact the Sox stink has made most over 50s pass on the game.

Teenagers and under: I would think kids still would like to go to a game or two with dad or aunt Betty or Uncle Joe, but not more than once or twice a year. There's soccer and other sports and video games and i phones that occupy most of the time. Concessions are pretty expensive for a kid and even aunt Betty or Uncle Joe better bring some Benjamins if they are treating kids to hats, food, drink, jerseys.

I'd think baseball attendance problems are real. I have no idea how teams like the Royals and White Sox, who had less than 1,000 people in the stands for Game One yesterday can be worth billions of dollars. The TV contracts are that good? Wow.

Well I'm a Millennial although I doubt I'm what you're picturing when you say Millennial. I went to 10-12 games last year and probably will again this year (2 so far, 2-0!)

My sister lives within walking distance of the stadium so we park in front of her house with a parking pass they get from the city. have a few drinks at her house and then walk over. Buy the cheapest ticket available (which last year was $7 for most weekday games and around $20 for most weekend games) and then go to the craft kave before heading to sit somewhere down the first base line. 

My parents are both over 60 and do basically the exact same thing, although maybe only 7-8 games per year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Any Millennials on here? Tell us about your age group's philosophy on going to Sox games please.

I'd wager that a majority of this board's members are millennials. 

The oldest of that generation are almost 40 now.

I swore off going to any games this season during my peak Machado anger and have so far had no problem staying true to that, but I think I'll end up going to one of the family games on a Sunday since my daughter has never been to a game. I was leaning the one in a few weeks against the Blue Jays to get a chance to see Vlad Jr and Eloy, but I don't think Eloy will be back by then even on an optimistic timeline.

I'd go to Robert's debut if they called him up because I love him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Millenial here: I prefer to watch games on my digital device with headphones in, not talking to anyone. Games are too expensive (ESPECIALLY PARKING, HARUMPH), not to mention the mayo on the foods! Plus I like to be taking selfie photography to upload to my friends on a SOCIAL NETWORKING device, and the WiFi at the baseball ball park is TERRIBLE. Also baseball is slow and my attention span is no

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

After last nights good crowd of over 30,000 the White Sox are now 21st out of 30 teams in MLB attendance. I'm not complaining about the White Sox attendance. Considering how bad the team has been since 2013, I don't think anybody can criticize the attendance. Looking at the attendance numbers of the 30 teams it doesn't take much to see that attendance is down in MLB. There are simply too many teams tanking/losing on purpose. MLB executive Tony Clark mentioned this recently also. MLB is going to have to do something about this tanking/losing on purpose. There are too many teams going into the season with no hope of getting into the Playoffs.

8 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

After last nights good crowd of over 30,000 the White Sox are now 21st out of 30 teams in MLB attendance. I'm not complaining about the White Sox attendance. Considering how bad the team has been since 2013, I don't think anybody can criticize the attendance. Looking at the attendance numbers of the 30 teams it doesn't take much to see that attendance is down in MLB. There are simply too many teams tanking/losing on purpose. MLB executive Tony Clark mentioned this recently also. MLB is going to have to do something about this tanking/losing on purpose. There are too many teams going into the season with no hope of getting into the Playoffs.

Remember this is tickets sold not actual attendance.  MLB no show rate is about 20%

https://www.latimes.com/la-sp-attendance-082305-story.html

On 5/2/2019 at 2:33 PM, bmags said:

Millenial here: I prefer to watch games on my digital device with headphones in, not talking to anyone. Games are too expensive (ESPECIALLY PARKING, HARUMPH), not to mention the mayo on the foods! Plus I like to be taking selfie photography to upload to my friends on a SOCIAL NETWORKING device, and the WiFi at the baseball ball park is TERRIBLE. Also baseball is slow and my attention span is no

Real millenials wouldnt have to park since they dont own cars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of us fans don't like being lied to, as we were by Sox management. So they can see the results of their lies via the attendance this year. I won't be going to any games this season, though I do watch most games on tv.

• Like 1

Re. Tanking on purpose; It’d be great if MLB could utilize the English Premier League system of religation. The bottom 2 teams in each league get sent down to AAA and the top four AAA get sent up to the majors! No way this could be implemented but it would stop tanking pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

JR is making money hand over fist, great stadium deal and keeps all parking money. MLB tv contract rights flow steadily. Attendance is the least of his concerns or he would of improved product years ago.

Edited by Soxfest

10 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I was at today’s game and it was packed (all the way to the last row of the upper deck in some sections) - was nice to see

I was there too, and it was packed.  Though as was brought up before, the Sox are terrible at being busy.  My daughter wanted a pretzel and cheese, and there was a stand like a section over, so  I went to get it for her, and ended up waiting about an inning (both halves, including Covey being taken out of the game), before I was served.  Oh, and there couldn't have been more than 10 people in line.  It was completely ridiculous.  There was literally (like literally, literally) one person served in the entire Sox half of the inning ( I was there the Sox 4th and the Boston 5th).  His order that took 10 minutes to complete?  Popcorn and a beer.  It was another nice slap in the face to the fans in attendance in addition to having to watch a bad AAA pitching staff get their brains kicked in.

Kids loved running the bases though.  

Edited by turnin' two