The Rick Hahn Haters thread, sponsored by Balta1701 and Jack Parkman

Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He once generally mangaged a team that wound up only 16.5  games out of first place.

Hasn't been back to that level, but what do you want only in his 7th season.

Not to mention he couldn't put a decent team around Chris Sale, Jose Quintana and Jose Abreu, when Quintana and Abreu were at their peak.  

He actually should be a hero. White Sox fans like to complain. He's given us many reasons.

Rick reminds me of the guys that used to make Dick Vitale's all airport team. Guys who looked good at the airport but couldn't play worth a damn. Rick is a bright guy, talks a good game, makes everything seem to make a lot of sense, and then loses,and loses, and loses. He looks and sounds the part, but the evidence suggests he should be doing something else.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

It so weird to me how willing people are to give him a pass and rag on Kenny. Kenny has overstayed his welcome, but there was a period were Kenny was actually pretty solid. 

Yeah, 15 years ago. Kenny hasn't made a good move since the 2007-08 offseason.  Hahn has been bad for a while. Kenny should have been whacked with the conclusion of the 2009 season. Hahn should have been whacked on 7/1/2016. My gripe is and always has been that the guy that wasted Sale, Quintana, Abreu and Eaton shouldn't have been allowed to rebuild this team. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Rick Hahn is the most infuriating member of the Sox FO to me. He never comes off genuine and rarely gets results. He says things like " it's either we win a world series or its a fail." His actions show the opposite of what his mouth speaks. He talks in circles like we are all idiots. He said something about the opinions of others don't matter to him on a podcast but then when talking about the off season, he specifically justified his horrible moves with " There are many people outside of the organization who think we had a solid off season".

We’ve been through this before, but the biggest two issues with Rick Hahn & our front office is it’s unwavering loyalty to key staff and a refusal to adapt quickly enough to the changing tides of the game.  The acquisition of Ivan Nova is a perfect example of both problems.  We have an old school pitching coach who refuses to change his approach amidst the juiced ball era and the Statcast revolution.  Most front offices would either educate such pitching coach on what the new analytics suggest or simply would replace them with someone willing to get with the times.  Rick Hahn, on the other hand, went out and took on Nova’s $9M salary based on some input from Don Cooper.  So far, the results have been disastrous as many of us armchair GMs expected.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’ve been through this before, but the biggest two issues with Rick Hahn & our front office is it’s unwavering loyalty to key staff and a refusal to adapt quickly enough to the changing tides of the game.  The acquisition of Ivan Nova is a perfect example of both problems.  We have an old school pitching coach who refuses to change his approach amidst the juiced ball era and the Statcast revolution.  Most front offices would either educate such pitching coach on what the new analytics suggest or simply would replace them with someone willing to get with the times.  Rick Hahn, on the other hand, went out and took on Nova’s $9M salary based on some input from Don Cooper.  So far, the results have been disastrous as many of us armchair GMs expected.

Yeah, sinkerballers are no bueno. I saw Nova getting absolutely crushed on sinkers in the bottom of the strike zone. Sinkers=Bad. 

I believe they're 5-10 years behind the rest of baseball in their analytics dept. Don Cooper is a relic. He used to be a great pitching coach, but by 2012ish the game had passed him by. 

Giolito is a great example, He had a ++ curve when he got here, and Cooper taught him a slider. Now his slider is still a pretty good pitch, but with the way he pitches, his high fastball that he throws by hitters would be better paired with a curve than a slider. Giolito has completely lost the feel for his curveball since learning the slider. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

So on the Mariners radio the other day (another bad franchise) they were talking about how they believe that framing is a teachable skill at the MLB level and that in part is why they traded for Narvaez.   

Nomar has slightly improved his framing, he's now just bad instead of league worst but guess who is worse, much worse so far this year?  Castillo.

Something is def wrong with the MLB coaching staff.  They do not get the best out of their guys.  When even another bad franchise like Seattle can get more out of Narvaez that's no bueno.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'm glad we have this thread. It will certainly reduce the Rick Hahn complaining in every other thread. :)

One thing we know about soxtalk is the community dutifully staying on topic in every thread.

• Haha 2

I keep wondering where the idea came from to get a bunch of guys that Machado had good relationships with. Was it the whole front office ? Was it Hahn's , Kenny's or even Jerry's Idea. 

We have to remember that not only was it Alonso and Jay but Castillo earlier , then Colome and Nova who were on the WBC team with him. Did that friends and family plan start with Castillo and then they expanded it knowing all along they weren't likely to offer top dollars for him ? Obviously it ended in tragedy and if that was the plan starting with Castillo .Then Hahn, Kenny and Jerry all suck. But I have said all along that it's mostly Reinsdorf and I'm sticking with that.

We have to remember that Reinsdorf is loyal above all else and it could be he saw in Machado the same traits and formulated a plan that loyalty might win out of money. The fatal flaw in that thinking probably was if Reinsdorf was in the same position what would he do ? I 'm pretty confident in saying Jerry would've taken the bigger guaranteed payday too.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside