The Rick Hahn Haters thread, sponsored by Balta1701 and Jack Parkman

Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I keep wondering where the idea came from to get a bunch of guys that Machado had good relationships with. Was it the whole front office ? Was it Hahn's , Kenny's or even Jerry's Idea. 

We have to remember that not only was it Alonso and Jay but Castillo earlier , then Colome and Nova who were on the WBC team with him. Did that friends and family plan start with Castillo and then they expanded it knowing all along they weren't likely to offer top dollars for him ? Obviously it ended in tragedy and if that was the plan starting with Castillo .Then Hahn, Kenny and Jerry all suck. But I have said all along that it's mostly Reinsdorf and I'm sticking with that.

We have to remember that Reinsdorf is loyal above all else and it could be he saw in Machado the same traits and formulated a plan that loyalty might win out of money. The fatal flaw in that thinking probably was if Reinsdorf was in the same position what would he do ? I 'm pretty confident in saying Jerry would've taken the bigger guaranteed payday too.

JR is a very actively involved owner.  He doesn't hire a guy and say go get me a championship.  He is actively involved with the day to day player moves unlike most owners.  Part of his loyalty to these guys is because he is part of the trio involved in player acquisition.  He believes in group think management.

On 5/2/2019 at 5:20 PM, SleepyWhiteSox said:

This hate feels misguided.  Shoulda been a reinsdorf thread,

Why not both?!

Seriously, one big key to rebuilds is drafting.  During this tank process, who's the best first rounder they've chosen?  Anderson is before the tank.  Is it Collins?

Meanwhile, Gorman and Kelenic are tearing it up and they'll be in A+ by the all star break.  I really believe this entire front office should probably go.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Why not both?!

Seriously, one big key to rebuilds is drafting.  During this tank process, who's the best first rounder they've chosen?  Anderson is before the tank.  Is it Collins?

Meanwhile, Gorman and Kelenic are tearing it up and they'll be in A+ by the all star break.  I really believe this entire front office should probably go.

They’ve only had 2 rebuild draft picks. (You could argue that they’ve really only had one.) One was bad, on the jury is very much out on

Edited by mqr

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:36 PM, Dick Allen said:

He actually should be a hero. White Sox fans like to complain. He's given us many reasons.

Rick reminds me of the guys that used to make Dick Vitale's all airport team. Guys who looked good at the airport but couldn't play worth a damn. Rick is a bright guy, talks a good game, makes everything seem to make a lot of sense, and then loses,and loses, and loses. He looks and sounds the part, but the evidence suggests he should be doing something else.

Could also be describing K. Williams.  No wonder they're such a great FO team.:)

33 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

We will be fine after all the injured players and prospects are healthy. I can’t see blaming one guy when I am sure the team strategy is a consensus of all top management 

I agree.  Getting healthy players and prospects back is the key.  Shit happens and blaming management for bad luck seems misguided.  But I do put more blame on one guy in management.  The Chairman has the final say.  The Machado fiasco was demoralising.  What if another owner, with a willingness to open his pocketbook (what did the Padre owner say - something like "I had to do it for the fans"), oversaw the operations.  I don't think Hahn would have nearly as much stink on him.  How would Hahn do with a ballclub that had an owner that did not hamstring him.  At least the team philosophies regarding international spending, player development and analytics have been trending upwards recently under our three headed monster.  Too early to tell how it's turning out.

Edited by ottawa_sox
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ottawa_sox said:

I agree.  Getting healthy players and prospects back is the key.  Shit happens and blaming management for bad luck seems misguided.  But I do put more blame on one guy in management.  The Chairman has the final say.  The Machado fiasco was demoralising.  What if another owner, with a willingness to open his pocketbook (what did the Padre owner say - something like "I had to do it for the fans"), oversaw the operations.  I don't think Hahn would have nearly as much stink on him.  How would Hahn do with a ballclub that had an owner that did not hamstring him.  At least the team philosophies regarding international spending, player development and analytics have been trending upwards recently under our three headed monster.  Too early to tell how it's turning out.

At some point...a long series of injuries and failed prospects cannot be considered bad luck. We're not to that point yet, but we're on the edge of it.

For example - it could be that acquiring pitching prospects en masse is fundamentally flawed because you can't develop them or keep them healthy. It could be that you acquire talented players but you neglect the training and development staff and facilities, causing a lot of injuries at all levels. It could be that your scouting department is weak and that even though you thought you were getting decent players, you were getting schooled by other GMs who specifically gave you guys that they were only willing to part with because their former teams thought they were likely to bust or get hurt.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At some point...a long series of injuries and failed prospects cannot be considered bad luck. We're not to that point yet, but we're on the edge of it.

For example - it could be that acquiring pitching prospects en masse is fundamentally flawed because you can't develop them or keep them healthy. It could be that you acquire talented players but you neglect the training and development staff and facilities, causing a lot of injuries at all levels. It could be that your scouting department is weak and that even though you thought you were getting decent players, you were getting schooled by other GMs who specifically gave you guys that they were only willing to part with because their former teams thought they were likely to bust or get hurt.

I feel like it took Hahn 2 years to convince Reinsdorf / Williams to stop 'going for it' with over-the-hill, off-season fill-ins.  So we've had a lot of change in 3 years - Hostetler / Getz/ Paddy.  3 years feels like approaching the edge for me too.  And I get the development / injury angle, but I always feel squeamish when an injury results in a finger quickly being pointed at someone in management.  You would think mostly it's just plain bad luck.

4 minutes ago, ottawa_sox said:

I feel like it took Hahn 2 years to convince Reinsdorf / Williams to stop 'going for it' with over-the-hill, off-season fill-ins.  So we've had a lot of change in 3 years - Hostetler / Getz/ Paddy.  3 years feels like approaching the edge for me too.  And I get the development / injury angle, but I always feel squeamish when an injury results in a finger quickly being pointed at someone in management.  You would think mostly it's just plain bad luck.

A few injuries, even a year where you're really banged up, fine.

After last year, we've now had Eloy, Rodon, and Dunning go down in less than a month of the regular season this year. 

If you go to the Futuresox top 20 from 2017, when the White Sox had the #1 system in baseball, 7 of them are either currently hurt or are rehabbing injuries from last year, a couple are completely out of our franchise or have busted, a few are struggling, out of that top 20 the only guys that we are genuinely happy with right now are Robert, Moncada, and Cease. 

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A few injuries, even a year where you're really banged up, fine.

After last year, we've now had Eloy, Rodon, and Dunning go down in less than a month of the regular season this year. 

If you go to the Futuresox top 20 from 2017, when the White Sox had the #1 system in baseball, 7 of them are either currently hurt or are rehabbing injuries from last year, a couple are completely out of our franchise or have busted, a few are struggling, out of that top 20 the only guys that we are genuinely happy with right now are Robert, Moncada, and Cease. 

For me, the 'couple' and the 'few' might be within the norm.  But the 7 is not.  Still, pitchers with elbow problems that throw 100 don't seem to favour one jersey over another.  And we have Hansen/Burdi/Kopech.  Discouraging, but maybe only screwing the the timeline a bit.  The ruptured achilles is a concensus long time wear and tear issue.  We seemed  to be an organization that for years escaped a lot of injuries.  It's bound to momentarily sway the other way at some point.

I honestly don't know what to think, but I'm leaning toward this rebuild is already a failure. Hahn needs to be fired tomorrow. They need to start establishing players and recycling them for new prospects immediately. Hahn has now completely failed twice. He deserves no rope whatsoever. Get the fuck out of town. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I just look at the Sox v. the Padres.  Started the rebuilds at the same time; both had made failed "go for it moves" a couple of seasons before.  The difference is that Preller mitigated his losses; Hahn didn't.  That put Preller close to an even start with Hahn despite Hahn having so much ammo to trade.  Then of course, he schooled Hahn in the Tatis trade; it's not surprising as Preller spent years in the weeds scouting talent, while Hahn sat in an office. And beyond Tatis, the difference is striking.

The dismal record, the failed 2013-2016 effort; the scorched earth disaster in June 2016.....and being so far behind the Padres.  Devotion to lifers, hiring buddies,  failure to modernize the front office with analytics.  When is enough enough?

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

We will be fine after all the injured players and prospects are healthy. I can’t see blaming one guy when I am sure the team strategy is a consensus of all top management 

LMAO. You sound like a Blockbuster Video Executive telling his Board not to worry about the new invention called the internet. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

I agree.  Especially the part of blaming more than one guy.  

8 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Can you really blame an owner for not investing $350 million on the advice of the person who suggested these investments?

You think Reinsdorf listens to anyones advice on the best way to spend $350M ? The last time Jerry took advice on money was when the neighborhood bully advised him to hand over his piggy bank or get pummeled. Now Jerry is the bully.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You think Reinsdorf listens to anyones advice on the best way to spend $350M ? The last time Jerry took advice on money was when the neighborhood bully advised him to hand over his piggy bank or get pummeled. Now Jerry is the bully.

Very true. It's highly unlikely but I would love a long form journalism piece to come out one day about the Machado and Harper FA sagas. 

It seems pretty accurate to say that JR was heavily heavily involved in the Machado negotiations and the Machado friends and family plan. 

At the very least, an objective baseball person outside the organization should come in, evaluate the rebuild, and make recommendations. The White Sox just can't expect fans to have faith and be patient.  This would be a logical thing to do, but of course it would never happen.  And the fact that it won't happen leaves many fans to think Reinsdorf no longer cares about the team, and it doesn't matter how many of his supporters deny this.

I was at the Orioles DH. I know the weather drove many away, but it was not fun to look and out and see the emptiness. What also didn't help, despite the walkoff, was the overall dismal play of the White Sox. The rebuild can no longer be used as an excuse for a lackluster performance.  I've been a fan for longer that I want to admit, but I can't remember being this discouraged about the team's future.

• Like 1

I do wonder if there is any reason to have an allegiance to this team.  I don't think progress is possible until changes are made in the whole organization.  That means a new owner who will have has own people and make them accountable.  Knowing there is no light at then end of the tunnel other than an oncoming train I'm not sure I want to be a fan anymore.  I'm ready to have my ticket punched on the fair weather fan bandwagon.    

To me it's just growing up a Sox fan and never even thinking about changing allegiance. I love baseball . Sure I'd like to win more than we lose. But it's not about the owner or the GM . I just enjoy it and despite the losing I enjoy discussing baseball . Every day even knowing I won't likely see wins I tune in one way or another and hope for the best.

• Like 1