Next stretch of games will tell us how good (or bad) this team really is

Greg Hibbard

After starting 3-8, the Sox are now 10-7 in the last 17 games against mostly garbage competition.

I think we've handily proven that we are not in the lowest tier of MLB teams (with KC, Miami, Baltimore). Are we in the second lowest tier, or more like a middle tier team?

The next stretch of 24 games, against better teams and contenders (Toronto, Minnesota, Cleveland, Houston, Boston) - will tell the story. How do you think we will fare?

My optimistic guess is we will finish that stretch 10-14 and land with a 23-29 record 1/4 of the way through the season. I could see something like 8-16 or 9-15 though. I sincerely doubt we can get much closer to .500 over that stretch.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

After starting 3-8, the Sox are now 10-7 in the last 17 games against mostly garbage competition.

I think we've handily proven that we are not in the lowest tier of MLB teams (with KC, Miami, Baltimore). Are we in the second lowest tier, or more like a middle tier team?

The next stretch of 24 games is all against better teams and contenders - Toronto, Minnesota, Cleveland, Houston, Boston will tell the story. How do you think we will fare?

My optimistic guess is we will finish that stretch 10-14 and land with a 23-29 record 1/4 of the way through the season. I could see something like 8-16 or 9-15 though. I sincerely doubt we can get much closer to .500 over that stretch.

Did you watch yesterday's doubleheader? They're closer to KC Miami and Baltimore than they are to the rest of baseball. They needed a minor miracle just to salvage a split with the O's, and they split their season series. IIRC they've split with KC and Detroit so far as well. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Did you watch yesterday's doubleheader? They're closer to KC Miami and Baltimore than they are to the rest of baseball. They needed a minor miracle just to salvage a split with the O's, and they split their season series. IIRC they've split with KC and Detroit so far as well. 

Yes, I watched both. I disagree. I think they gave away game 1 and could have easily won if they had gone for the jugular. They didn't and gave the game away.

Conversely, I think they came back and won the nightcap on timely hitting with a more talented group.

I feel as though talent wise and in terms of their seasonal prospects, the 2019 White Sox are WAY better than the 2019 Orioles.

Remember, the 2003 Detroit Tigers were 8-11 against the 2003 White Sox, but those Tigers won 43 games. The Sox won twice as many - 86. Head to head record doesn't tell the whole story.

3 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Yes, I watched both. I disagree. I think they gave away game 1 and could have easily won if they had gone for the jugular. They didn't and gave the game away.

Conversely, I think they came back and won the nightcap on timely hitting with a more talented group.

I feel as though talent wise and in terms of their seasonal prospects, the 2019 White Sox are WAY better than the 2019 Orioles.

Remember, the 2003 Detroit Tigers were 8-11 against the 2003 White Sox, but those Tigers won 43 games. The Sox won twice as many - 86. Head to head record doesn't tell the whole story.

No shit sherlock, but the results are still bad. The Sox defense is a fucking joke. The bolded is why yesterday was so frustrating. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Do you think the Orioles will finish the season with a better record than the White Sox?

Hell no, but based on what I've seen so far, they should still lose 100 games. The O's are probably going to be the worst team since the 2003 Tigers. 

If the O's played in the ALC and the Sox in the ALE, I'd think it would be close. 

However, a lot of individual players are taking steps forward so the Sox could end up with 70-75 wins. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Hell no, but based on what I've seen so far, they should still lose 100 games. The O's are probably going to be the worst team since the 2003 Tigers. 

I don't even think they'll have the worst record in baseball.  That honor should go to the Marlins.  

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If anyone says yes, I have a bet waiting for you.  

The Sox are pretty obviously a tier above the Royals, Marlins, Orioles and maybe Tigers talentwise. I'd place them in the Blue Jays/ Giants tier. 

Edited by mqr

All depends on if any of the pitching develops and comes through.  With Rodon looking like a 3rd starter at best that puts a ton of pressure on Gio and Lopez to be no worse than 3/4s themselves.  Maybe you can squint and see one of them emerging as a decent #2 but that's a helluva squint.

Offense will be fun, pitching and defense will continue to be bad to borderline unwatchable.  75 wins, I'm sticking to it until something changes with the true talent level.  

I think we'll go 6-18. If we somehow go better than .500 in that stretch, maybe Rick Renteria is better than we think. Sox talent is really poor. We really have no business winning many games in this stretch.

It's just an inconsistent team and when they are playing poorly it will be hard to win any games against any opponent and when they play good it's still only like a 60-70% shot they win.

I think probably looking at a 5 game deficit.

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I think we'll go 6-18. If we somehow go better than .500 in that stretch, maybe Rick Renteria is better than we think. Sox talent is really poor. We really have no business winning many games in this stretch.

Why on earth would the team performing better be due to Rick Renteria? Why not due to Anderson, Moncada, Abreu, Rodon, etc?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

The next stretch of 24 games, against better teams and contenders (Toronto, Minnesota, Cleveland, Houston, Boston) - will tell the story. How do you think we will fare?

I am hoping 8 and 16 is the worst we do so I'll go with that. 10 at home 14 on the road , That would put the Sox at 21-31 overall, Starting pitching is always the key and I have no idea how anyone will perform. If you think the BP is bad now it might be a nightmare against better hitters. Game threads for this stretch should be very entertaining. If Timmy and Yoan fall back to earth it will be brutal. I can easily see a losing streak of 7 games during this stretch.

59 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Well, if your 49 win prediction for the 2018 season is any indication, I think we’ll be fine

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

This is the only down side to the White Sox winning games. I want the White Sox to win but I also know that if they are winning Renteria will never be fired.

3 hours ago, JuliusO1274 said:

This is the only down side to the White Sox winning games. I want the White Sox to win but I also know that if they are winning Renteria will never be fired.

I don't think this is true. The FO will make sure their famed rebuild isn't ruined by a bad coach. 

20 hours ago, bmags said:

It's just an inconsistent team and when they are playing poorly it will be hard to win any games against any opponent and when they play good it's still only like a 60-70% shot they win.

I think probably looking at a 5 game deficit.

I'll go 12-12.  We are having more good days than bad recently.  Really like McCann in this lineup.