Sawx @ Sox, May 2nd, 7:10pm CT

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

FWIW--Dennis Eckersley is doing the color for the game in Boston. He said Gio has an outstanding change-up and an awful curveball. 

It's true....according to fangraphs pitch value, his slider and changeup are his best pitches.  Giolito's curveball is either a hanger over the plate or a 58 footer that doesn't even tempt the hitter to swing at.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It's true....according to fangraphs pitch value, his slider and changeup are his best pitches.  Giolito's curveball is either a hanger over the plate or a 58 footer that doesn't even tempt the hitter to swing at.

Occasionally he'll throw a good one but he should save it for a show me pitch and it should be the wipeout version. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Occasionally he'll throw a good one but he should save it for a show me pitch and it should be the wipeout version. 

yeah use it as a waste pitch makes all the sense in the world.  It's funny to think about how great Giolito must have looked throwing bullpens when scouts were watching him in high school.  The curve looks sexy until you see how hitters react to it.

Just now, Sox80 said:

Gio had nice velocity tonight as well.  

I like more that even when he misses with the fastball, it's not by much.  I think some forget how much he was missing the plate by last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

yeah use it as a waste pitch makes all the sense in the world.  It's funny to think about how great Giolito must have looked throwing bullpens when scouts were watching him in high school.  The curve looks sexy until you see how hitters react to it.

The weird thing is that he never threw a slider until 2018. His curve was great in 2017, but as soon as he started throwing the slider he lost the curve 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I like more that even when he misses with the fastball, it's not by much.  I think some forget how much he was missing the plate by last year.

He gets a metric shit ton of mileage out of the high fastball. He reminds me of Chris Young the pitcher before he got hurt. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

No it was legit good at one point. I saw him pitch in the sally as a 19 year old a couple of times. That thing was Floyd-esc. He was also throwing 98-100 too so...

Edited by SoxAce

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Spin rate on it since they started measuring has never been good. Big bender but not sharp.

It was a hook. Froze a couple of guys down there. Back in those days, I'll admit spin rate wasn't a thing that I was looking at or was popular.

I use to miss 98-100 mph Gio too until I realized it isn't about velocity if the spin rate isn't there.

Edited by SoxAce

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

He should save it for guys he's been attacking with high fastballs when he has 2 strikes on the hitter and is ahead 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

He should save it for guys he's been attacking with high fastballs when he has 2 strikes on the hitter and is ahead 

That is what Floyd use to do. But Floyd would also bury it in the dirt if need be too. He had complete control of his curve most of the time. Gio is lucky if he even has half the control most nights. Thats the difference. 

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic