Rodon to IL; Giolito activated

ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

Dylan Covey it is per Hahn. 

Good. No need to rush prospects in a tank year because Rodon can't stay healthy. Let Covey get another chance and then cycle through guys like Roach, Stephens, and Guerrero until Cease is ready. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The last time “everything was on the table” for an important Sox pitcher,  Dane Dunning had TJS the same day the evaluation with Dr. Andrews was to take place.  I am significantly concerned here.

Yah at this point, seems like the Sox been given an initial opinion and they are just waiting for the swelling to subside before getting a 2nd / confirming opinion.  Sucks, but when you see stuff like this, 9/10 times its going to end in surgery.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah at this point, seems like the Sox been given an initial opinion and they are just waiting for the swelling to subside before getting a 2nd / confirming opinion.  Sucks, but when you see stuff like this, 9/10 times its going to end in surgery.  

Yeah, but if they are officially diagnosing him with swelling in the flexor mass, it's just as likely he strained it or tore it and if he tore it he wouldnt throw for 3 months but that's not the 8 months before you throw with TJS...  so here's to hoping it's that.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Covey over Lambert or anyone else is so predictable and simply exhausting. Not sure how many times the White Sox need to see Covey. He's the pitcher version of Engel. Undeserved chances over and over.

Jimmy Lambert is not ready dude. The guy hasn't even thrown a pitch in AAA yet. When is the last time the Sox promoted a pitcher to the bigs straight from AA? 

3 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Man what a bummer. One comes off the IL, then another goes on. Yeah, might be time to cut ties eoth Carlos if it is indeed Tommy John. I doubt the recovery process timeline will fit the Sox plans for contention.

I also just think they are done dumpster diving for starters. Next year theoretically we start out with Lopez, Gio, Cease and Kopech. I think either they sign a real good SP out of FA, they trade some of their OF prospects for one, or maybe Banuelps turns into the next Q or something and they go with him.

Also, Covey just has 9 lives man. Him and Engel, wow.

Just some thoughts...yep the Sox the last three years can't seem to keep key pieces at both the major and minor league level healthy. Maybe bad luck if you believe in that. I don't. I think it has something to do with evaluating prospects and draft picks and off season conditioning programs. The Yankees can lose a dozen guys and still win 90 games...the Sox are not even in that discussion when that happens to them.

Given next year's free agent class for pitchers remaining and what the salary demands are I just can't see the Sox making that commitment. Maybe via trades but then you have to give something to get something and the Sox can't afford to give up the quality they have.

Agree about Covey and Engel, two more mopes who continue to get chances because the Sox are so bad talent-wise in those areas right now.

Just can't count on Rodon...period. 

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Jimmy Lambert is not ready dude. The guy hasn't even thrown a pitch in AAA yet. When is the last time the Sox promoted a pitcher to the bigs straight from AA? 

Why does he need to pitch in AAA? 

Mark buehrle promoted at 21 after just over 200 minor league innings pitched.

Jose Quintana 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just some thoughts...yep the Sox the last three years can't seem to keep key pieces at both the major and minor league level healthy. Maybe bad luck if you believe in that. I don't. I think it has something to do with evaluating prospects and draft picks and off season conditioning programs. The Yankees can lose a dozen guys and still win 90 games...the Sox are not even in that discussion when that happens to them.

Given next year's free agent class for pitchers remaining and what the salary demands are I just can't see the Sox making that commitment. Maybe via trades but then you have to give something to get something and the Sox can't afford to give up the quality they have.

Agree about Covey and Engel, two more mopes who continue to get chances because the Sox are so bad talent-wise in those areas right now.

Just can't count on Rodon...period. 

Well...the sox aren't even in that discussion when they're 100% healthy so I'm not sure what your point is here. 

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

If Keuchel is still around after the draft, sign him.

Assuming Rodon will be on the shelf for awhile, that would give the Sox a rotation of Keuchel/Lopez/Kopech/Cease/Giolito in 2020.

No thanks.  I'd much rather take my chances with the SP on the market next offseason.  

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why does he need to pitch in AAA? 

Mark buehrle

Jose Quintana 

Let him pitch in Charlotte and see how he handles the mlb ball. What is the rush to bring him up in a tank season? There is a very real chance he gets absolutely destroyed in the Show and never recovers from it. 

16 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Anyone know what this means?

edema within the flexor mass is essentially what you would see with a flexor muscle strain. Unlike golfers or tennis elbow, which involve the tendinous insertions from the proximal arm , this involves inflammation around the tendinous insertions or within the flexor compartment of the forearm.  Of course they dont comment on the  integrity of the ligaments (ie the UCL/ tommy john ligament), but i'm guessing none of this portends a positive outcome. 

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Let him pitch in Charlotte and see how he handles the mlb ball. What is the rush to bring him up in a tank season? There is a very real chance he gets absolutely destroyed in the Show and never recovers from it. 

Because he's 24 and it would be nice to know if you have something now instead of having to deal with moving one of the actual prospect pitchers. We know Dylan Covey sucks. We have no idea what Lambert is. 

He's not a guy we are actually counting on. If he can't hack it, he can't hack it. 

Edited by mqr

Just now, OneDog847 said:

How you deal with failure is what separates the successful from those who flame out. Lambert has already managed it well once and made a major adjustment to fix it. That's a real good sign. He may get destroyed in some games, but he'll learn and adapt or he won't and he'll fail, but he won't fail because his feelings were hurt.

It rarely has to do with ones psyche being hurt.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How you deal with failure is what separates the successful from those who flame out. Lambert has already managed it well once and made a major adjustment to fix it. That's a real good sign. He may get destroyed in some games, but he'll learn and adapt or he won't and he'll fail, but he won't fail because his feelings were hurt.

It rarely has to do with ones psyche being hurt.

The guy has only pitched 50 innings above A ball so far. I just don't see the reason to rush him in a tank year. Let him develop this year in the minors and bring him up next year. The Sox ain't competing this year or next year anyways. 2020 should be Jimmy's time to shine.