Rodon to IL; Giolito activated

ChiSox59

53 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sorry, I meant with the White Sox.  I’m assuming he can come back from this, but the most we’ll get out of him now is one year and by then hopefully we’ve moved on by then.

Got it. That's a distinct possibility. 

24 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Tenure.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Never was on WSI...and still waiting for any argument on why Cooper should still be around.

Not sure Cooper can be blamed for any of these except Rodon. Dunning never worked with him, Kopech had minimal work.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

If I were the Sox, I'd demand every lefty pitcher copy Mark Buehrle and his fluid pitching motion as well as pace of pitching. Fast.

For a righty? I'd demand they look up tapes of Ferguson Jenkins and his fluid pitching motion as well as pace of pitching. Fast. There has to be a way to cut down on all these arm injuries.

You're right, it's that simple!  I don't know why every professional baseball franchise doesn't do this.  They must all be morons.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

It means the MRI showed a great deal of white (fluid) in the area of the origin of the muscles which flex the fingers and wrist.  These muscles are the only thing keeping stress off the UCL. In other words at least a mild injury to the UCL, probably a moderate one.

Doesn't look good.

Thanks for the info!

27 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is a serious question: Rodon is in his 1st arb year next season and could the Sox just cut bait? 

Hes in arbitration now. This is his 5th year in the league. Second year. And idk they probably will tender him a deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is a serious question: Rodon is in his 1st arb year next season and could the Sox just cut bait? 

They could cut bait. But they won’t and shouldn’t. 

3 hours ago, RTC said:

You're right, it's that simple!  I don't know why every professional baseball franchise doesn't do this.  They must all be morons.

There's got to be some reason pitchers are so brittle. I was just pointing out that if I'm a pitching coach I get out the Buehrle tapes for a lefty and Fergie Jenkins tapes for a righty. Fluid, baby.

7 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

They could cut bait. But they won’t and shouldn’t. 

I'd be seriously tempted, assuming surgery. With normal raises they'll pay him $14 million the next 2 years, give or take a million or so. They are very unlikely to recoup that money. Almost all of 2020 will be lost on rehab, and 2021 you'll have a guy coming back from multiple arm injuries who would need to be a middle of the rotation pitcher to be worth it, and the guy hasn't even been a back of the rotation quality pitcher since 2016. That's 4 years since he was worth anything. No one would pay $14 million for Rodon as a free agent after 2020.

People want money for Keuchel? There's the money for a season of him.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd be seriously tempted, assuming surgery. With normal raises they'll pay him $14 million the next 2 years, give or take a million or so. They are very unlikely to recoup that money. Almost all of 2020 will be lost on rehab, and 2021 you'll have a guy coming back from multiple arm injuries who would need to be a middle of the rotation pitcher to be worth it, and the guy hasn't even been a back of the rotation quality pitcher since 2016. That's 4 years since he was worth anything. No one would pay $14 million for Rodon as a free agent after 2020.

Yeah, I'm with you here. It's going to be an interesting decision to watch. is it worth 14M for a shot at 1 good year out of the guy? He really has turned into the Sox version of Mark Prior. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, I'm with you here. It's going to be an interesting decision to watch. is it worth 14M for a shot at 1 good year out of the guy? He really has turned into the Sox version of Mark Prior. 

His agent makes it hard to work out a a solution that works for both parties.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I didn't think about this when writing that last post either, but there's no 60 day IL in the offseason, meaning that this offseason Rodon would also require a spot on the 40 man even though he basically wouldn't be on the 2020 team, and that makes the roster crunch worse. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I didn't think about this when writing that last post either, but there's no 60 day IL in the offseason, meaning that this offseason Rodon would also require a spot on the 40 man even though he basically wouldn't be on the 2020 team, and that makes the roster crunch worse. 

The more I think about it, the more I think it is time to accept that Rodon's White Sox career has been derailed by injuries, and it is time for the Sox to move on. There is no reason to waste anymore time with him. 2021 would be his first full year back from injury and his walk year, I think his time with the Sox is ova. He's too unreliable to extend. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

You could work out some extension with him that gives him a small guarantee next year but extends our team control through the 2021 season.  That’s what I’d be shooting for.  Whether Carlos & Boras would be game for that is another story altogether.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

You could work out some extension with him that gives him a small guarantee next year but extends our team control through the 2021 season.  That’s what I’d be shooting for.  Whether Carlos & Boras would be game for that is another story altogether.

I can't see Boras doing this with us, at least not in advance, but what would likely happen this offseason if he were non-tendered is that he'd sign with someone on the equivalent of a 2 year deal (maybe somehow the 2nd year is an option?) worth something like $1-2 million a year, with some 2021 performance bonuses based on innings pitched or something like that. That way he can do his rehab next year, throw some minor league innings, maybe if everything goes perfectly he contributes to someone's bullpen in September, and then both sides get an opportunity in 2021.

Personally if I were him I'd go to a team like Houston or Tampa Bay, someone with a recent reputation for unlocking pitchers with good stuff.

17 hours ago, mqr said:

Not even Herm could save Rodon

Cease would be the most logical replacement for Rodon on any MLB team that isn't run by Reinsdorf.

Heck on most of those teams, he's already in the rotation at the beginning of the season.

Wasting away in the minors.

• Haha 1

with Rodon going down, for what i'm guessing is the rest of the season, does it make sense at this point for the the Sox to just add a veteran to the rotation like Keuchel after the June draft? i feel like we're just treading water again with all of these injuries. 

2 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Cease would be the most logical replacement for Rodon on any MLB team that isn't run by Reinsdorf.

Heck on most of those teams, he's already in the rotation at the beginning of the season.

Wasting away in the minors.

I have no idea what Reinsdorf has to do with Cease starting the season in the minors.  I’d wager large sums of money that not a single GM would have started the season with Cease in their opening day roster given our current situation.  It would have been a damn right fireable offense unless he agreed to extension beforehand.  That being said, Dylan will likely be up by sometime in June if not sooner.

4 minutes ago, peppers312 said:

with Rodon going down, for what i'm guessing is the rest of the season, does it make sense at this point for the the Sox to just add a veteran to the rotation like Keuchel after the June draft? i feel like we're just treading water again with all of these injuries. 

I think if you sign Keuchel to a 3 year deal, you're waving goodbye to Rodon. I'm fine with that. He's too unreliable. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think if you sign Keuchel to a 3 year deal, you're waving goodbye to Rodon. I'm fine with that. He's too unreliable. 

agreed. i just don't think he's THE ace we need to anchor this pitching staff for the future. and if he's not then, then he's expendable imo.