Rodon to IL; Giolito activated

ChiSox59

All this talk is moot. There's absolutely no way the White Sox are going to extend a pitcher with all these arm issues. I don't give a fuck who his agent is. The Sox won't even sign healthy pitchers long term. It's been the organizational philosophy for decades, and it's one of the few I actually agree with. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

You make a good point. They would have to pay him next year not to play. So probably well over $10 million in total to see what he has in 2021. We have probably seen the last of Carlos Rodon in a White Sox uniform. 

His wife had some comments about money during the winter. It was hard to tell what side of the fence she was on. I read them and couldn't figure out if she was hinting the White Sox were trying to lowball him or he might just take less money to stay. Doesn't matter at this point.

Rodon's wife made comments around the time Nola signed his extension with the Phils if my memory serves. Something along the lines that Carlos would never settle for less than what he thinks he is worth and is therefore not likely to sign an extension before he hits FA. 

His camp thought they had a 75 million dollar plus contract coming their way after 2021. Dude will be lucky to still be in MLB in 2021 if Tommy John is in his future. 

30 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Rodon's wife made comments around the time Nola signed his extension with the Phils if my memory serves. Something along the lines that Carlos would never settle for less than what he thinks he is worth and is therefore not likely to sign an extension before he hits FA. 

His camp thought they had a 75 million dollar plus contract coming their way after 2021. Dude will be lucky to still be in MLB in 2021 if Tommy John is in his future. 

I feel bad for him. I like Rodon more than most, and a lot of pitchers are fine after Tommy John. But if he's any good when he returns, he isn't re-signing with the White Sox, and what are the odds he puts it all together anyways. So they might as well not pay him and move on, and find someone else. The problem is look who will be doing the shopping.

Edited by Dick Allen

We need to take a more serious approach to our rotation, especially with free agency lacking. Which is why we need to call Cease up soon.

1. We need to pray Cease and Kopech can be a 2-3. 

2. We need to pray Rodon/Gio/Lopez/ every other farm arm can net us a very good 4-5. 

3. We need to find a veteran pitcher on a bad team with a bad deal who we can trade for, and pay the entire salary for to limit prospect compensation. Like a Verlander type. This guy will need to anchor our staff until guys improve. 

We can have a great lineup but if we can't pitch we are going no where. 

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

What? TJS is not a death knell to pitchers anymore (and hasn't been for quite sometime). What are you even talking about? Dude oozes talent and potential.. if his tenure with us is over, you can guarandamntee it will just be starting with another team.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

What? TJS is not a death knell to pitchers anymore (and hasn't been for quite sometime). What are you even talking about? Dude oozes talent and potential.. if his tenure with us is over, you can guarandamntee it will just be starting with another team.

It is when his shoulder is also busted

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pal said:

They have the assets to trade for a good pitcher. Damn sure have the cash to get Bumgarner in the offseason. Pair those moves with what we have, pitching staff will be fine.

9 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Do they? 

They would have had prospect depth to spare if they would have signed Harper and Machado.  

4 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

This is exactly what happens when your wife wears the pants. She had big plans for Carlos' elbow and now she might as well find another sap. 

21 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

They would have had prospect depth to spare if they would have signed Harper and Machado.  

And if they had signed both of them, we would all be fretting and b****ing about how neither of them were living up to their contracts. They are both hitting .235. Not the kind of production that comes close to justifying the money, they're getting paid. I'm sure that they'll end up with good numbers, by the end of the season and seasons to follow. However, they're going to have a tough time reaching their respective teams expectations, this year, with such poor starts to the season.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

And if they had signed both of them, we would all be fretting and b****ing about how neither of them were living up to their contracts. They are both hitting .235. Not the kind of production that comes close to justifying the money, they're getting paid. I'm sure that they'll end up with good numbers, by the end of the season and seasons to follow. However, they're going to have a tough time reaching their respective teams expectations, this year, with such poor starts to the season.

Plus if we signed both we would not have had the money to extend McCann 😁

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

He's pretty much out of the picture if he gets TJ right? His first season back will be his last season before free agency?

Most likely unless Hahn tries to get cute and offer him some sort of incentive laden extension with options so he can rehab in the organization he feels comfortable with and isn't faced with signing a minor league deal.  

I think that Hahn has a fair deal of leverage here, but we'll see.  The non-tender route definitely has some merit as paying Rodon $10-11M for at most 30 more starts (many of which will be pretty rusty) before FA seems fairly rich.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Most likely unless Hahn tries to get cute and offer him some sort of incentive laden extension with options so he can rehab in the organization he feels comfortable with and isn't faced with signing a minor league deal.  

I think that Hahn has a fair deal of leverage here, but we'll see.  The non-tender route definitely has some merit as paying Rodon $10-11M for at most 30 more starts (many of which will be pretty rusty) before FA seems fairly rich.  

I'm not usually one to give up on players, and I know the Sox won't give up on him, but I really hope they don't offer him a contract extension. Really don't want to go through what we have gone through with Jones and Danks all over again, because this is exactly what it feels like. Only difference is Rodon hasn't really had any established success lole the other 2 did before their injuries destroyed their careers (not saying Rodons career is destroyed, but it sure is looking like his body doesn't want him to continue with this profession).

Edited by ScooterMcGee

26 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Do not pull a Dane Dunning here. Just get the fucking surgery done. 

Eh I dont see the rush. This isnt dunning here. If rodon gets the surgery now hes pretty much done for and his Sox career is all but over. May as well see if theres any other option