Rodon to IL; Giolito activated

ChiSox59

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lets not get toooooo far ahead of ourselves here.  If he's down with elbow injury, its basically over for him with the Sox.  Maybe we get him back to 100% for 2021 (his impending FA season), but what a kick to the dick that would be.

Really hoping this isn't that serious. 

We are talking about Carlos Rodon here. Every injury with him is serious. 

Is he really hurt? i dont mind players going to the IL, but It always seems like a Sox player is put on the IL after a bad start or a couple of bad starts?  Was this hurting him for weeks and he was quiet?

Edited by Chisox378

His last surgery seems more like it was exploratory in nature  rather than reconstructive, like Tommy John  surgery.  Maybe they could not find what was wrong and repair whatever the problem was. I don't know....  This feels like it might be the beginning of the end for Rodon's pitching career. 

6 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

If this is serious I am all for Cease coming up now and just learning up here. What other choice do we have at the moment? Covey or resign Santana?

Bad idea. The Sox should just keep Cease on his normal timeline. No need to rush him in a tank year. 

They might need to sign a guy off the street since everyone at Charlotte is utter garbage except Cease. Maybe bring back big game James?

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

Bad idea. The Sox should just keep Cease on his normal timeline. No need to rush him in a tank year. 

They might need to sign a guy off the street since everyone at Charlotte is utter garbage except Cease. Maybe bring back big game James?

How would they be rushing him? 

Cease doesnt need to dominate AAA hitters much longer. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How would they be rushing him? 

Cease doesnt need to dominate AAA hitters much longer. 

I'm sure the Sox had a plan for Cease at the beginning of the year. They want him to make a certain number of starts in Charlotte and build up his stamina. The kid hasn't exactly proven himself to be a workhorse. Rodon's injury should have no bearing on Cease's development. 2019 is a tank year. Throw Jose Guerrero or Jordan Stephens out there for now and take your beating like a man. 

Edited by OneDog847
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I'm sure the Sox had a plan for Cease at the beginning of the year. They want him to make a certain number of starts in Charlotte and build up his stamina. The kid hasn't exactly proven himself to be a workhorse. Rodon's injury should have no bearing on Cease's development. 2019 is a tank year. Throw Jordan Guerrero or Jordan Stephens out there for now and take your beating like a man. 

Pitchers only have so many bullets in their arm. Use them while you control them at the big league level. I have always been very pro-aggressive promotion track for arms given their fragility and volatility.

I'd love to see the Sox continue their slow evolution as an organization and aggressively promote someone like Jimmy Lambert. He's not a top tier prospect for you and can continue his development at the big league level. He throws strikes and lives up in the zone with his fastball. Both of those work on the modern game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Pitchers only have so many bullets in their arm. Use them while you control them at the big league level. I have always been very pro-aggressive promotion track for arms given their fragility and volatility.

I get what you are saying but why waste those bullets in a lost season?