5/2 Games

DirtySox

Robert walks on 4 straight pitches. 

Oh, and I'm sick of Vizquel. Had Basabe bunt to move guys over (turned into a forceout). He's bunted twice this game already, both outs. 

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Robert walks on 4 straight pitches. 

Oh, and I'm sick of Vizquel. Had Basabe bunt to move guys over (turned into a forceout). He's bunted twice this game already, both outs. 

The hatred for bunting on this board astounds me. The deciding factor for a manager actually being competent is not whether or not he calls for the bunt more than the next guy.

I get the concerns about it, no one needs to explain them to me, but Bunting is actually a legitimate strategic play that can work very well under the right circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The hatred for bunting on this board astounds me. The deciding factor for a manager actually being competent is not whether or not he calls for the bunt more than the next guy.

I get the concerns about it, no one needs to explain them to me, but Bunting is actually a legitimate strategic play that can work very well under the right circumstances.

But he does it too much, to the point you could argue it's taking away chances for them to work on situational hitting.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The poster said Vizquel has already had players bunt twice early in the game. There is no strategy where that can be considered good unless it was a pitcher batting both times. Fondness for bunts automatically disqualifies a manager as being considered good. We now have stats that show how much it decreases the chance of scoring.

Edited by JuliusO1274
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

The poster said Vizquel has already had players bunt twice early in the game. There is no strategy where that can be considered good unless it was a pitcher batting both times. Fondness for bunts automatically disqualifies a manager as being considered good. We now have stats that show how much it decreases the chance of scoring.

Sorry, but it's not that black and white. The threat of a bunt provides opportunities not shown in those stats.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Is he getting struck out on pitches off the plate so far in AA?

I missed his last AB, but this one he actually was laying off a couple of pitches low and away. Then they tried to get him upstairs but he was fouling them off. They got him on a 3-2 breaking ball low though but he was not overmatched. 

5 hours ago, danman31 said:

There are people who still like bunting? Huh

4 hours ago, bmags said:

I just want one game where we bunt every single time. Not much to ask.

I don’t care if every algorithm indicates that bunting is almost never a good decision, it’s the way it’s always been, damn it!