BASEBALL AS ENTERTAINMENT

poppysox

As hardcore fans... most of us follow the teams day to day struggles during the rebuild.  Bad pitching and lack of hitting frustrate us beyond words.  Frustrating to look forward to the game only to have it be over in the third inning.  My question....what can JR due to make the game interesting while this is going on?  The stadium is empty and not many are watching.  Bill Veeck was someone that understood that baseball needed to be entertaining even if not good.  When hardcore fans are bored it can't be good for the long term health of the organization.  Hey Jerry...DO SOMETHING!

• Love 1

Take pages out of the books of teams like the Astros, Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Twins, Indians, Cardinals. All teams that have been consistently successful over many years in the last decade. Specifically pages out of the books of the Indians, Cardinals Yankees Red Sox and Dodgers, who seem to never ever be bottom feeders, except for maybe a season and then are right back in the thick of it the next year.

I tell you, I don't think this rebuild would look as bad as it does now had it not been for all the injuries. 

Kopech should be in this rotation right now. Rodon should be in this rotation right now. Dunning should be right up there with Cease in AAA dominating, as well as Hansen. Robert should be knocking on the door at AAA. Burdi should be in our pen. Basabe and Adolfo should both be in AAA.

It is astounding how much injuries have set this whole thing back. Feels like a snails race. And they keep piling up. Im just sitting here waiting for the next Tommy John or broken Robert thumb, bc none of it will surprise me.  

What is to be seen is how all these players come back from the injuries. Some of them you really can't have hope in anymore, like Rodon or Adolfo. It will be very interesting to see how all the TJ victims will bounce back. Not gonna lie, I am nervous about Kopech, both with velocity and potential for re-injury. Same with Cease (not so much the re-injury piece).

I think it's a baseball thing in general. There is so much different entertainment than there was 20 years ago, so people are pulled all over especially with the internet and smart phones. We need to keep the game the same, while encouraging people to get out to games and sit with real people and enjoy a real sporting event.  I love the Sox and live baseball and always will. My grandpa died in car accident leaving the ballpark when my dad was only 4 years old. I have been to many games but the past few years I won't attend any games and I give that penance for my grandpa whom I never met.   I love watching and following on TV.

12 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Take pages out of the books of teams like the Astros, Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Twins, Indians, Cardinals. All teams that have been consistently successful over many years in the last decade. Specifically pages out of the books of the Indians, Cardinals Yankees Red Sox and Dodgers, who seem to never ever be bottom feeders, except for maybe a season and then are right back in the thick of it the next year.

I tell you, I don't think this rebuild would look as bad as it does now had it not been for all the injuries. 

Kopech should be in this rotation right now. Rodon should be in this rotation right now. Dunning should be right up there with Cease in AAA dominating, as well as Hansen. Robert should be knocking on the door at AAA. Burdi should be in our pen. Basabe and Adolfo should both be in AAA.

It is astounding how much injuries have set this whole thing back. Feels like a snails race. And they keep piling up. Im just sitting here waiting for the next Tommy John or broken Robert thumb, bc none of it will surprise me.  

What is to be seen is how all these players come back from the injuries. Some of them you really can't have hope in anymore, like Rodon or Adolfo. It will be very interesting to see how all the TJ victims will bounce back. Not gonna lie, I am nervous about Kopech, both with velocity and potential for re-injury. Same with Cease (not so much the re-injury piece).

The big money clubs still still manage to bring up studs from the minors.

1 hour ago, Chisox378 said:

I think it's a baseball thing in general. There is so much different entertainment than there was 20 years ago, so people are pulled all over especially with the internet and smart phones. We need to keep the game the same, while encouraging people to get out to games and sit with real people and enjoy a real sporting event.  I love the Sox and live baseball and always will. My grandpa died in car accident leaving the ballpark when my dad was only 4 years old. I have been to many games but the past few years I won't attend any games and I give that penance for my grandpa whom I never met.   I love watching and following on TV.

It's also a great sport on the radio.

• Like 1

It's only May and it feels sorta like August with all the callups and recycling of bums.  Yes blame injuries, but blame once again the complete failure in FA.  Yonder got off to a decent start and might be a 1 WAR player (same with Nova) but if that's all you got you did jack shit in FA and would have been better served trying to fill those spots with guys already in the org -- especially given that it's ostensibly a tank year.

There's really not much entertaining about this roster outside a handful of youngsters.  Pitching wise there is almost nothing to get excited about.  It's 2 steps forward and two steps back mostly.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

24 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's only May and it feels sorta like August with all the callups and recycling of bums.  Yes blame injuries, but blame once again the complete failure in FA.  Yonder got off to a decent start and might be a 1 WAR player (same with Nova) but if that's all you got you did jack shit in FA and would have been better served trying to fill those spots with guys already in the org -- especially given that it's ostensibly a tank year.

There's really not much entertaining about this roster outside a handful of youngsters.  Pitching wise there is almost nothing to get excited about.  It's 2 steps forward and two steps back mostly.

You're right, there is nothing to get excited about pitching wise. I think its insane that Cease hasn't been brought up. He would be on virtually every MLB team now. He's  the only White Sox  pitcher now who you could get anything for in a trade. You couldn't get a decent return for any of the other starting pitchers on the team and Hahn won't bring Cease up. This tanking/losing on purpose  is really bad.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

You're right, there is nothing to get excited about pitching wise. I think its insane that Cease hasn't been brought up. He would be on virtually every MLB team now. He's  the only White Sox  pitcher now who you could get anything for in a trade. You couldn't get a decent return for any of the other starting pitchers on the team and Hahn won't bring Cease up. This tanking/losing on purpose  is really bad.

But it was the only way! Remember that as the 10 run blowouts continue to happen, the 100 loss seasons stack up on each other, and the contention window gets pushed back another year. Repeat after me, it was the only way! 

Edited by OneDog847
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kalapse said:

b****ing about a sports team over and over and over again on a message board is maybe not a great use of your time or healthy for your physique. Just a quick PSA, no one fucking cares.

b****ing about b****ing about posters that b**** and b**** about a sports team on a message board...

• Love 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

b****ing about b****ing about posters that b**** and b**** about a sports team on a message board...

I'm not going to argue that I am the one that sucks, but the other guy clearly sucks more. I mean, come on, what are you even doing? Just don't post.

• Haha 1