James Fegan Nails It

Jack Parkman

https://theathletic.com/962235/2019/05/05/white-sox-rotation-woes-are-worse-than-bad-they-dont-even-have-a-purpose/

Why waste any more time with Cease in Charlotte? If they're bringing him up at all this year, get the most out of that 7th year. They can't seriously be concerned about super 2, can they? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

https://theathletic.com/962235/2019/05/05/white-sox-rotation-woes-are-worse-than-bad-they-dont-even-have-a-purpose/

Why waste any more time with Cease in Charlotte? If they're bringing him up at all this year, get the most out of that 7th year. They can't seriously be concerned about super 2, can they? 

2019 is a tank year. Wins and losses do not matter. The organization hopefully had a developmental plan with Cease and should stick to it. Underperformance and injury at the big league level should have no impact on Cease's development. 

My best guess is that he is up after 5 or more starts in Charlotte. 

The biggest problem right now is we don’t have even have a single semi-interesting / viable starting pitching option in Charlotte outside of Cease.  McCatty should be absolutely embarrassed with the performance of his rotation:

• Stephens:  9.48 ERA, 6.79 FIP, 5.35 xFIP, 6.61 K/9, 2.87 BB/9, 2.30 HR/9
  • Guerrero:  8.88 ERA, 5.80 FIP, 5.42 xFIP, 9.95 K/9, 4.26 BB/9, 1.78 HR/9
  • Adams:  8.00 ERA, 7.06 FIP, 7.25 xFIP, 5.00 K/9, 4.00 BB/9, 2.00 HR/9
  • Roach:  10.25 ERA, 6.90 FIP, 5.02 xFIP, 6.15 K/9, 3.08 BB/9, 2.39 HR/9

How in the fuck can these guys be this bad?  Like I get they introduced the juiced ball this year, but I will guarantee no other IL teams are struggling this much.  

It’s very apparent IMO, that when it comes to Trackman info our developmental group is not pushing guys hard enough to make changes.  Lambert is the only example I can think of in recent years of mixing up their arsenal based on what the Trackman data was suggesting.  And honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if some of the more old school pitching coaches in the system (like Cooper & McCatty) simply don’t value this information.  At some point the results speak for themselves.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Great post cws....Adams and Stephens just don’t have the fastball to get major leaguers out

Neither one of these guys are very good prospects. Both ceilings are back end rotation and that's even debatable. After the 3 suspects (Cease, Kop, Dane) the Sox have ZERO ZERO ZERO in the way of rotation prospects. They have a couple of intriguing bullpen prospects (Burdi, Hanson, Hamilton), but nothing for the rotation anytime soon.  Hanson is disappointing as well, because when he's "on" he looks like a future ace, but he just isn't consistent enough, thus it looks like he is now destined to pitch out the pen. Pilkington and Steiver are guys I want to see develop from the 2018 class, but either are at best back end guys and at least couple years out. 

EVERY SINGLE ounce of optimism in the future of this rotation rests on a few EXCEEDINGLY talented, but enigmatic (for different reasons) names---Gio, Rey, Carlos, Kopech, Dane, Cease. Not a single one of those guys has really proven jack and 3 of them have already danced with Tommy John, two in current rehab and speculation a 4th could be heading there. 

I don’t think other teams have good pitchers in AAA either.  Most teams struggle to fill out the 4 & 5 slots on the MLB roster, let alone stash quality depth in the minors.  

Most teams also don’t have ace-potential guys like Cease & Kopech ready to step into the rotation either.  We’re sitting pretty. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t think other teams have good pitchers in AAA either.  Most teams struggle to fill out the 4 & 5 slots on the MLB roster, let alone stash quality depth in the minors.  

Most teams also don’t have ace-potential guys like Cease & Kopech ready to step into the rotation either.  We’re sitting pretty. 

Detroit has Casey Mize and Matt Manning, though both in AA right now, likely heading for the show next year. Those two are dynamic and one could argue those two are just as promising as either two the Sox have. Sox have a vastly better farm than Detroit when it comes to hitters, but the pitching is well in debate. 

And don't think Kopech is ready to step into any rotation next year. He'll likely be on an innings limit so his contributions to the Sox in 2020 will be limited. Same for Dunning. 

Edited by kwolf68

It's becoming more and more apparent that the rotation is where money needs to be spent. They need a couple veterans to stabilize the rotation, eat innings, mentor and take some pressure off the kids. I think the lineup will be fine without free agency. They've had a terrible run of luck with pitcher health. 

2 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Neither one of these guys are very good prospects. Both ceilings are back end rotation and that's even debatable. After the 3 suspects (Cease, Kop, Dane) the Sox have ZERO ZERO ZERO in the way of rotation prospects. They have a couple of intriguing bullpen prospects (Burdi, Hanson, Hamilton), but nothing for the rotation anytime soon.  Hanson is disappointing as well, because when he's "on" he looks like a future ace, but he just isn't consistent enough, thus it looks like he is now destined to pitch out the pen. Pilkington and Steiver are guys I want to see develop from the 2018 class, but either are at best back end guys and at least couple years out. 

EVERY SINGLE ounce of optimism in the future of this rotation rests on a few EXCEEDINGLY talented, but enigmatic (for different reasons) names---Gio, Rey, Carlos, Kopech, Dane, Cease. Not a single one of those guys has really proven jack and 3 of them have already danced with Tommy John, two in current rehab and speculation a 4th could be heading there. 

So much is riding on the shoulders of Cease and Kopech going forward. Both of these guys need to hit the ground running and develop into top of the rotation arms.