adam engel or charlie tilson?

zisk

Is it time to release Adam Engel? Is it time to play Charlie Tilson for a few months? Tilson is probably just a AAAA player but so what.

He's worked hard to come back from a devastating injury and should be rewarded. I think after 3 years, every one knows AE will never hit

enough to matter. It's time for a new face and Tilson is the best available.

A couple years ago I saw in Engel a little bit of what I now see in Harrison Bader, a great defensive player with just enough hit tool to be a solid MLB player. Bader has more power, but there are a lot of similarities. Bader struggles against righties a lot, but manages "just enough" with his good lefty splits to look like he's going to hit in the .260 range as a pro player. A .260 hitter that should also hit and steal 20+ while playing elite level defense is a WIN. Engel doesn't look like a .260 hitter, he is more a .220 hitter w/ much less power than Bader and if he can't get on his speed is meaningless. 

I think it's time to cut bait. 

8 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I get that but these two guys aren’t ever amounting to anything.

Assets are assets.

Once they don't have options, sure, cut them.

But if you need bodies in Charlotte and they have options, cutting them is idiotic.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Luis Robert

This is and will be our only CF option, and thank GOD he will be here next season. Barring the dreaded injury of course.

I really think we only have to endure Engel for the rest of this year. My guess is Robert makes it to AAA after the all star break and breaks with the team by May next year.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

44 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

This is and will be our only CF option, and thank GOD he will be here next season. Barring the dreaded injury of course.

I really think we only have to endure Engel for the rest of this year. My guess is Robert makes it to AAA after the all star break and breaks with the team by May next year.

Basabe, Gonzalez, Walker, and Booker all play CF.

Robert is our best CF option. He is not our only one.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Assets are assets.

Once they don't have options, sure, cut them.

But if you need bodies in Charlotte and they have options, cutting them is idiotic.

Assets have to be good to be assets.  Calling Engel and Tilson assets is a stretch.

as·set
/ˈaset/
noun
  1. a useful or valuable thing, person, or quality.

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

Assets have to be good to be assets.  Calling Engel and Tilson assets is a stretch.

as·set
/ˈaset/
noun
  1. a useful or valuable thing, person, or quality.

Did you forget about Padres James Shields?

25 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

We don’t have a GM smart enough to pull off a trade like that.  He is only on the receiving end of getting played.

Well fortunately GMs like AJ Preller exist. He traded a freshly drafted, top prospect Trea Turner for Wil Myers, who batted .222 the season before.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Well fortunately GMs like AJ Preller exist. He traded a freshly drafted, top prospect Trea Turner for Wil Myers, who batted .222 the season before.

Well you need a GM who can take advantage of those opportunities when they are there. The Sox simply don't have that.  Hahn, despite being the GM of a rebuilding team,  spent all winter looking for veterans.  He doesn't know the young talent in the league, he doesn't keep his "ear to the ground." Heck the Rays rebuilt on the fly with a few trades over 2 seasons.