Keith Law Mock 1.0

soxfan49

(for those without an ESPN Insider subscription)

1. Rutschman- Orioles

2. Witt- Royals

3. Chicago White Sox: Andrew Vaughn, 1B, Cal

I've heard Kenny Williams loves prep shortstop C.J. Abrams, but I am not going to bet on the White Sox -- who have been more college-focused in the first round recently -- passing on Vaughn or Rutschman here.

4. Bleday- Marlins

5. Greene- Tigers

6. Abrams- Padres

7. Lodolo- Reds

8. Carroll- Rangers

9. Bishop- Braves

10. Allan- Giants

Edited by soxfan49

Thanks for posting 49. It's funny that people kind of half-joked that KW was the one who wanted Abrams most and then Law basically confirms this. Just take Vaughn and be set at 1B/DH for the next decade.

Edited by TheTruth05

I'm so annoyed we have to deal with the negative connotations with KW being in on a guy, because Abrams is good and doesn't deserve to be treated as a "athlete pick" because two athletic (college) outfielders failed in the last 20 years.

• Like 3

It's incredibly annoying.  He could also love Rutschman,  Jr and Vaughn (he does) but for some reason it's news that he also loves a black athletic HS SS that is projected to be one of the top players in the draft. Shocking! 

52 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If you guys want the entire 1st round, let me know

That would be awesome!

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm so annoyed we have to deal with the negative connotations with KW being in on a guy, because Abrams is good and doesn't deserve to be treated as a "athlete pick" because two athletic (college) outfielders failed in the last 20 years.

Courtney Hawkins also failed miserably, and he could do flips.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm not sure I buy Hawkins as the uber athlete in the same mold. 

Mitchell and Walker (its crazy that a 47th overall pick gets such hate as "a thing) were that similar mold of these guys that could be an incredible center fielders, maybe generate some pop but questionable hit tools that never turned around.

Hawkins was just prodigious power in a high schooler and was a late riser.

But looking around at that draft is so painful as there were so many big leaguers and difference makers. Reading comments on Hawkins profile pre-draft, it really brings to light though this idea of "is this a scouting issue or a player dev issue?" 

And then they did get things pretty damn right with Anderson, who would likely be a top 3 pick in a redraft.

Man, there are so many reasons sox should have a completley different front office by now it is so insane they have not changed direction in 19 years.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Although the Sox seem to prefer the "Safer" college bats in recent drafts, when selecting top three they really should be looking at highest upside possible. 

I'd be intrigued to select Witt Jr. or Abrams, as an up the middle pick is a better draft "value" in my opinion. Unless Vaughn rakes, he's completely useless. 

11. Manoah- Jays

12.Jung- Mets

13. Rutledge- Twins

14. Thompson- Phillies

15. Espino- Angels

16. Lugo- Diamondbacks

17. Langeliers- Nationals

18. Will Wilson- Pirates

19. Henderson- Cardinals

20. Stott- Mariners

21. Malone- Braves

22. Davidson- Rays

23. Misner- Rockies

24. Hampton- Indians

25. Baty- Dodgers

26. Priester- Diamondbacks

27. Busch- Cubs

28. Goss- Brewers

29. Hoese- A's

30. Kirby- Yankees

31. Stewart- Dodgers

32. Callihan- Astros

It's hard. 

For me its

1. Rutschman 

2. Witt Jr.

Then there's this mix of guys where I'd be "fine" with them. Vaughn, Abrams, Bleday, Bishop - I' be reasonably excited to see any of them but there is also a bit of trust needed in our front office I dont have.

But I don't see any as specifically so much better than any other that its an indictment. 

But, yeah, Vaughn has to rake so much to be valuable. If that dude struggles at all in the minors its going to be a huge *gulp*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

11. Manoah- Jays

12.Jung- Mets

13. Rutledge- Twins

14. Thompson- Phillies

15. Espino- Angels

16. Lugo- Diamondbacks

17. Langeliers- Nationals

18. Will Wilson- Pirates

19. Henderson- Cardinals

20. Stott- Mariners

21. Malone- Braves

22. Davidson- Rays

23. Misner- Rockies

24. Hampton- Indians

25. Baty- Dodgers

26. Priester- Diamondbacks

27. Busch- Cubs

28. Goss- Brewers

29. Hoese- A's

30. Kirby- Yankees

31. Stewart- Dodgers

32. Callihan- Astros

Very interesting.

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not sure I buy Hawkins as the uber athlete in the same mold. 

Mitchell and Walker (its crazy that a 47th overall pick gets such hate as "a thing) were that similar mold of these guys that could be an incredible center fielders, maybe generate some pop but questionable hit tools that never turned around.

Hawkins was just prodigious power in a high schooler and was a late riser.

But looking around at that draft is so painful as there were so many big leaguers and difference makers. Reading comments on Hawkins profile pre-draft, it really brings to light though this idea of "is this a scouting issue or a player dev issue?" 

And then they did get things pretty damn right with Anderson, who would likely be a top 3 pick in a redraft.

Man, there are so many reasons sox should have a completley different front office by now it is so insane they have not changed direction in 19 years.

Really, based on nothing but Kannapolis and Spring Training, I think Mitchell would have panned out if not for the injury.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Stott at 20 and the Cubs taking Schwarber 2.0 jumps out.

Dodgers taking stewart is interesting to me too.

Ah, to have a confident player dev team. If sox took him would I think "oh they can get him back on track!"? no.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Really, based on nothing but Kannapolis and Spring Training, I think Mitchell would have panned out if not for the injury.

I actually do too. 

Funny to remember that sox have had so many "epiphonies" on "oh crap we are drafting wrong" but after broadway/mccullough there  seemed to be a "okay we have to get some more dynamic talent again.".

Poreda was actually the start of that, much more interesting in a lefty that threw high 90s. Then beckham was part of where we were, and mitchell draft, then sale, then that depleted 2011 draft, hawkins, and a pretty good anderson selection.

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

Dodgers taking stewart is interesting to me too.

Ah, to have a confident player dev team. If sox took him would I think "oh they can get him back on track!"? no.

I'd feel much more confident about Carter than I did about Hansen.  Carter is way more athletic and is only a tweek or two away from being right.  

38 minutes ago, Quin said:

36 minutes ago, bmags said:

I actually do too. 

Funny to remember that sox have had so many "epiphonies" on "oh crap we are drafting wrong" but after broadway/mccullough there  seemed to be a "okay we have to get some more dynamic talent again.".

Poreda was actually the start of that, much more interesting in a lefty that threw high 90s. Then beckham was part of where we were, and mitchell draft, then sale, then that depleted 2011 draft, hawkins, and a pretty good anderson selection.

Thirded about Mitchell. 

5 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

Thanks for posting 49. It's funny that people kind of half-joked that KW was the one who wanted Abrams most and then Law basically confirms this. Just take Vaughn and be set at 1B/DH for the next decade.

KW being in love with Abrams was as predictable as an ending in the show Full House. 

Is no one else concerned that KW is still sniffing around the draft room? The dude set this franchise back a decade with his terrible drafting. 

Also, Jared Mitchell was a busted pick and it is okay to call him that. Should have, could have, would have been mean diddly squat in the realm of professional sports. 

CJ Abrams is awesome. Of course Kenny Williams likes him. Kenny probably like Rutschman, Witt Jr and Vaughn too. KW doesn't deserve a lifetime job but he's actually beneficial as a cross-checker in a scouting role. Jerry Reinsdorf is more responsible for their draft failures than anyone else just for his sheer disdain of paying amateur players. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

KW being in love with Abrams was as predictable as an ending in the show Full House. 

Is no one else concerned that KW is still sniffing around the draft room? The dude set this franchise back a decade with his terrible drafting. 

Also, Jared Mitchell was a busted pick and it is okay to call him that. Should have, could have, would have been mean diddly squat in the realm of professional sports. 

Your hate of Abrams because you want to box him into some KW failed prospect archetype is so lazy. Even your attempts to try and "SEE! Typical KW Pick" by showing his glowing scouting reports and your consistent misunderstanding of his hit tool is beyond misunderstanding so I just have to assume you are trolling at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bmags said:

It's hard. 

For me its

1. Rutschman 

2. Witt Jr.

Then there's this mix of guys where I'd be "fine" with them. Vaughn, Abrams, Bleday, Bishop - I' be reasonably excited to see any of them but there is also a bit of trust needed in our front office I dont have.

But I don't see any as specifically so much better than any other that its an indictment. 

But, yeah, Vaughn has to rake so much to be valuable. If that dude struggles at all in the minors its going to be a huge *gulp*

I get the reservations on Vaughn due to position, but saying a guy who has only ever raked has to continue raking to be valuable is fine. His hitting profile is impeccable. Obviously, I'd prefer to have Rutschman, but that would be wild if he falls to 3. The bottom line is, as long as the White Sox don't go off the consensus board they're getting a stud prospect at 3. And in all likelihood, someone with a higher upside than Madrigal on top of that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

He is the VP of baseball ops right?  Isn't this one of the major components of his job?  It isn't like it is a secret. 

9 minutes ago, danman31 said:

I get the reservations on Vaughn due to position, but saying a guy who has only ever raked has to continue raking to be valuable is fine. His hitting profile is impeccable. Obviously, I'd prefer to have Rutschman, but that would be wild if he falls to 3. The bottom line is, as long as the White Sox don't go off the consensus board they're getting a stud prospect at 3. And in all likelihood, someone with a higher upside than Madrigal on top of that.

His bat is so good that I will definitely still be excited but even as someone who tries not to get too scared by ups and downs of prospects it's more just that I know I would have a sensitive panic button with him

But I love offense! Having some just monster bat (especially since so few in system) would be great, but I'd also love a fantastic speedy projectable shortstop.

I guess I'd amend what I'd say in that I wouldn't really see the point in drafting Bleday over Vaughn just because of positional value, but I would be okay with abrams over Vaughn.

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Your hate of Abrams because you want to box him into some KW failed prospect archetype is so lazy. Even your attempts to try and "SEE! Typical KW Pick" by showing his glowing scouting reports and your consistent misunderstanding of his hit tool is beyond misunderstanding so I just have to assume you are trolling at this point.

Hate? That is a strong word. Please do not put words into my mouth or try to insinuate something that isn't there. 

I think KW is a piss poor evaluator of amateur talent and I'm gonna to be extremely skeptical of anyone that he is "in love" with. Kudos to you if you think differently about Mr. William's scouting acumen. 

Also, I find it interesting that Law goes out of his way to say specifically that Kenny Williams is in love with Abrams. Law could have said the Sox FO, Rick Hahn, or Nick Hostetler but instead specifically mentioned KW.